Proof that it is ILLEGAL to copy music to your iPod in Australia!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    It was Rockit at Arena Joondalup last w/e

Main line up (and quick review) -

Little Birdy (Perth Band) .. The two singles sounded ok, but her voice didnt project much

Gyroscope (Perth Band) .. they were great, impressive set

Downsyde (Perth Band) .. when they freestyled the sound almost disappeared

Magic Dirt .. hmmm cant say enuf about it ...

John Butler Trio (Perth Band) ... JB is JB so if you dig him you would have enjoyed his set, it was pretty good..

Jack Johnson ... oh my Joss I was bored out of my brain with his set !

The Living End ... awesome performance ! they did not stop at all..

Powderfinger ... bit hard to follow up energy of The Living End

p.s. I love the new track by Red Jezebel got their last EP when I saw them with Cartman and Motorace at the Amplifier Bar earlier in the year..
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Wow! I glanced at this thread a few days back before heading off on a weekly (computerless) trip to the south coast of NSW. You've REALLY covered some ground in the intervening time, people.

Hard to know where to begin really......

The Countdown thing. Now this could be some fantasy I've just conjured up or something I dreamt one night but as I remember it the story went something like this.

Once upon a time, there was no such thing as music videos (I know it's hard to believe but it's TRUE). Then gradually music videos caught on and shows like Countdown appeared. Everyone lived happily everafter for a while as the recording industry was content to promote their product via such shows.

Then their attitude changed. It must have been some time in the '80's. And they said to all the TV stations you have to pay to air our product. As I remember it, a whole slew of shows like Countdown disappeared pretty much overnight. There was quite a hullaballoo. From memory, there was a brief period in which no music videos were being shown on Oz TV. After a while, Rage, Video Hits (Dylan is doing Video Hits - next thing you'll be telling me Denton is doing Who Wants to be a Millionaire?) et al appeared but as far as I can recall, there has been no Countdown style show since.

The problem being that by the time the stations pay the copyright fees, they can't afford to pay a Molly Meldrum and guest appearance fees and the crew etc.

And then you've got s**t like poker machines killing off the live pub bands. That's been a big source of the rot too.

And hey Barto! You sound like you know a bit about this copyright stuff. You wouldn't happen to know what the position is of people (say like dance studio owners) who already pay what I guess is a compulsory license fee (on top of having to buy the CD in the first place)? Am I legally allowed to copy music to my pod? Am I supposed to pay copyright fees on copy protected "CDs"? Not this little black duck, I'm afraid. But if you know the answer, I'd be most interested.

If only Alex Lloyd would at least learn to enunciate properly. It's the James Reyne syndrome all over again. Very irritating.

Anyway, Chester thinks the recording industry is run by a bunch of capitalist pig-dogs who should be first against the wall come The Revolution.

Oh god, that feels better.......
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Interestingly enuf a edition of "what happened to the record execs" that fell thru a time space continuum thing to my desk says... "...they were the first up against the wall when the revolution came..."

*patiently waits for revolution*

No babel fish required for translation..

Another joke is the main controller dude of CH10 vid hits actually changes the vid clips to suit HIS taste, yep he edits out bits he doesnt likes and puts in his bits.. so much for whatever was left of creative content for the commercial vid clips ... Mr exec "Oh I dont think we should have that on my screen I am going to change that right now!

Death to all pokies, the attitude is why have a band taking up all that space when a pokie can generate $xxx per hour in the same space... dorks...

Crazychester, you should prolly have a chat to APRA about that and get the official line.. you are even supposed to pay a royalty to APRA for radio on hold music on your telephone system at work.. prolly cause you only pay for the ability to play it you still dont own the copyright over it..

I got two Living End Cds today.. "Roll On" and "Modern Artillery"... MA had the copy protected marking on it, all the tracks but the third one ripped in ok, itunes and the finder will not play track 3 after about 4 secs or so... it just stops under 10.3

Trent Reznor said something along the lines of "There are thousand brittney spears going thru the music industry like diarrhea"
  • Reply 24 of 27
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    crazychester, gsxrboy is right. talk to APRA. Yeah, that pack of bastards.

Forced they guys at Zone in Canberra to turn the television 90 degrees to stop "public viewing". Which is a totally stupid money grabbing copyright law. Hell, the copyright owners have already been paid for the broadcast rights, why should they get paid again and again and AGAIN for rebroadcastings?

Evil sons of bitches that they are.

Barto
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Stop it, stop it, you're killing me! If I hear any more stories about stupid Australian copyright law, I'm sure blood will start oozing from my ears.

I know all about the double dipping. Which is why the question was at best academic Barto. Precisely because if I go anywhere near APRA the most likely upshot is that they'll put their grubby little paws out for still MORE money. The dance industry's professional organization has been bitchin' at them for years. But as we haven't sold our souls to the devil (actually we can't even get him to make us an offer), we have little bargaining power.

Far as I'm concerned, they're already being more than adequately compensated. And anybody who wants to try and stop me using my iPod will have to pry it from my cold dead hands first.

That's interesting about the Living End CD. Oops I mean "CD". I first got caught with Radiohead's "It Takes a Thief". Didn't notice (certainly didn't expect) the oh so unobvious sticker. Even the pc users present sat in stunned horror when I tried to play it in the Mac. Debated about whether to copy it anyway but in the end thought no f**k 'em and got my $ back. Been in a moral quandry about it ever since.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Oops! Another Freudian slip. I of course meant Hail to the thief
  • Reply 27 of 27
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I really want to buy Hail To The Thief. I really, really do. But as long as that little CP logo is there, no sale.

Send the f***ers bankrupt is my philosophy.

Barto