$99 iPod On Friday?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

$99? Not on it's own (remember that Apple makes their profit on the iPod, not on iTMS), but maybe as a promo when buying a new Mac.

Now this makes sense! Talk about a switch campaign!

Besides, when was the last time a rumor about Apple making something cheap turned out to be true? By cheap, I mean comparable to something, anything at the same price point (a low-end unit), as I already know that Macs are basically priced the same as PCs with similar setups.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Toshiba drives wholesale for about $50 for the 5 Gig and up to about $125 for 40 gig I believe. The 20 and 40 Gig are dual disc.

That being the case, then a $99, 5GB iPod is still not very doable at this time.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Maybe not $99, but if they could get one in the range of around $149, that would be in the realm of the flash memory mp3 players and would all but eliminate that market.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    More like ~10% discounts on certain music items Friday...tomorrow. Introducing a new product like a $99 or $199 iPod on Black Friday would be a major blunder. You'd want to advertise a product before such a big shopping day before actually selling it...
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

More like ~10% discounts on certain music items Friday...tomorrow. Introducing a new product like a $99 or $199 iPod on Black Friday would be a major blunder. You'd want to advertise a product before such a big shopping day before actually selling it...

Apple advertises nothing in terms of upcoming products...

hence why we are all here at AI...
  • Reply 26 of 61
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

Apple advertises nothing in terms of upcoming products...

hence why we are all here at AI...

And I'm saying there's no way they would release a new product on Black Friday. If Apple wanted to push a huge sale of that product it would have to be advertised prior to that.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    A flash memory iPod is an oxymoron. No way Apple would go that route. The iPod is what it is because of the hard drive. Next subject.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

A flash memory iPod is an oxymoron. No way Apple would go that route. The iPod is what it is because of the hard drive. Next subject.

Not a flash memory iPod, but a 5 gb iPod in the price range of other flash memory mp3 players.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I agree 100% - I've never heard of a new product announcement on Black Friday.

That day is for lower prices, not new items. And yes, a 5GB iPod is a new item. You couldn't buy it yesterday new. You won't be able to buy it tomorrow new.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

That being the case, then a $99, 5GB iPod is still not very doable at this time.

Apple can probably negotiate a much lower price if they bought the 5 gb model in bulk. If they do release this I bet the feature set will be crippled. i.e. only plays music. dock connector probably will only have firewire (not line out).

You would think Apple would be doing ads in major papers about the 99 dollar ipod if it exists and hence someone would have leaked the news.

Also if people are willing to pay 299 for an iPod why lower the price? It's not like they don't have a problem selling iPods.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Maybe not $99, but if they could get one in the range of around $149, that would be in the realm of the flash memory mp3 players and would all but eliminate that market.

Not to mention, eliminate the flash memory market in general. Why buy 256mB flash when you could have 5 Gigs?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    I think a $199 (one-nine-nine) iPod would be enought to keep the dell DJ and napster samsung at bay.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    If not a low priced iPod then what are the "several surprises" Apple said in the press release? Just asking.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Why?

There is a market for devices with 1 - 5 GB storage space (I would be happy to buy one) and flash RAM is getting into this range. The evolution of HD-based players has come to an end storage-wise since absolutly only the smalles minority of users will have a need for 40+GB. Should Apple re-introduce a 5GB model based on a HD, they'd only admit that their current lineup is too much up-market.

Flash RAM players is the (distant) future and Apple is just waiting for the right moment to jump onboard. 1GB would be doable today, but is a bit too small I guess. But in a years time, with 2-4GB, those devices will sell, whether from Apple or other companies.

The typical iPod consumer could care less if it is based on a HD or solid state, operating time and form factore are much more important.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

The typical iPod consumer could care less if it is based on a HD or solid state, operating time and form factore are much more important.

I think Apple would care. Solid State does not provide as good sound. Solid State is synonymous with cheap, low capacity older technology. That's why Dell and Gateway are going HD. That's why Toshiba is increasing HD capacity (along with Hitachi).
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Looks like 10% off of iPods and iPod accessories is all we will get today.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    It is on the apple store page - at the top.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    No low priced iPod. Rumor, rumour was untrue as stated. 10% off though, which may be the "several surprises" Apple alluded to. Bet they'll sell them in large quantities today.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Better than Education pricing - not too shabby.

(20GB and up, anyway)
  • Reply 40 of 61
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    It seems like you even get the 10% off the education pricing if you're in Edu.

The promo still appears.