President Bush in Iraq?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
No one seems to have any information about it, but news channels are reporting that Bush is in Baghdad. Given the circumstances, is it really a good idea? The security surrounding this trip is going to have to be unbelievable. No US President has ever visited Iraq.

I'm shocked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    It's true. Happy Thanksgiving to all, btw

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/27/tha...rdp/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104246,00.html

This will no doubt be heralded by troops and Bush supporters. I also have no doubt the opposition will go apoplectic. Personally, whomever came up with the idea is an effing genius. Rove? Perhaps. Bush gets total dominance of media coverage when one hell of a lot of folks are sitting around eating and watching TV...and since it is a holiday he pretty much own the airwaves without opposition.

Like him or hate him...he has some serious balls.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I just heard he was there, but already left. Essentially, he arrived, stayed and left before the public was even informed. I am not entirely sure what the point was, aside from highlighting that it is dangerous, from a security perspective, to visit?

Perhaps the troops liked having him there, however. It might be a bit of a morale-booster for them. Whether you support specific Administration policy actions on Iraq or not, it is worthwhile to spare a thought for those whe are such a long way from home, in still somewhat dicey circumstances, on this holiday.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    HIllary has been planning to go for weeks. She's in Afghanistan now... next stop Iraq. I'm sure Bush couldn't stand to have her visit and not have him be there first.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I just heard he was there, but already left. Essentially, he arrived, stayed and left before the public was even informed. I am not entirely sure what the point was, aside from highlighting that it is dangerous, from a security perspective, to visit?

Perhaps the troops liked having him there, however. It might be a bit of a morale-booster for them. Whether you support specific Administration policy actions on Iraq or not, it is worthwhile to spare a thought for those whe are such a long way from home, in still somewhat dicey circumstances, on this holiday.

to tell them thanks. of course it was morale boost as well
  • Reply 5 of 49
    I think it was a great idea on Bush's part. It shows that he has confidence in our troops, and that he knows he will be safe there. Just as burningwheel said, it is a big morale boost for the troops, and I think it may win some more over for the legitimacy of this war.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Rove? Perhaps. Bush gets total dominance of media coverage when one hell of a lot of folks are sitting around eating and watching TV...and since it is a holiday he pretty much own the airwaves without opposition.

Well, I have to say, at least you're honest about what this presidency is all about.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I think it was a great idea on Bush's part. It shows that he has confidence in our troops, and that he knows he will be safe there. Just as burningwheel said, it is a big morale boost for the troops, and I think it may win some more over for the legitimacy of this war.

Well, I am not sure about the "safe" part. In fact, the opposite impression could be conveyed, given that he only visited the airport, very briefly, and under conditions of great secrecy. I suppose that nobody expects the President to put his life on the line the way the troops do, but the manner in which he visited does not really speak much for confidence in safety.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Random thoughts:

Ballsy.

Definite morale booster.

Superficial, aside from doing something for the troops this will change nothing a month from now.

Another Rove Inc. production.

Banner: "Photo Op Accomplished"

Screed ... The Satanic Post!
  • Reply 9 of 49
    I don't know, didn't seem to big to me. I didn't know about it until I came on here, I was watching football and they didnt' say jack about it. I'm really opnionless on this either way though. Seems like the next logical step anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Indeed - after not liking him for a long time I'm begining to really respect that guy... now if only he could get more involved in the ME peace process, sort out Iraq with a decent democracy and get the US economy back on track he might just turn into one of those great US presidents (the likes of Kennedy, Reagan, FDR etc)...
  • Reply 11 of 49
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I think it took a lot of guts to go, given his sliding popularity amongst the average US citizenry.

Mind you, the language of his speech to the troops made me as a member of the "coalition of the willing" cringe...

Stuff like..fighting the terrorists in Iraq to make it safe for Americans at home.

The entire pep talk was focussed on America this & America that...& no mention of allies, Poms, Aussies, etc etc etc

Does he really think he can beat the "terrorists" with tanks ?

It's a good thing it was delivered in the " Bob Hope Cafeteria " otherwise I'd a thought he was being serious...
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

I don't know, didn't seem to big to me. I didn't know about it until I came on here, I was watching football and they didnt' say jack about it. I'm really opnionless on this either way though. Seems like the next logical step anyway.

are you drunk or did you eat too much
  • Reply 13 of 49
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    You guys sound like you're looking for a reason to like him. Is this really a big deal? Going to an airport? No, but you make it out to be a big display of some balls when in fact it just makes sense. I'm surprised you're not embarrassed that it took so long.

Why didn't this happen sooner?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    the aggie forums are all filled by bush worshippers right now. it's hilarious. if you dare say anything to the contrary, you are automatically a commie...
  • Reply 15 of 49
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Bush went to Iraq for something like 2 1/2 hours.

Bush pre-empted Senator Clinton's arrival there.

Bush followed in his father's footsteps by visiting the troops on T-day.

Bush got to turn on the tears for a minute while uttering the line about "just looking for a warm meal" (see the UPI story).

--

1) This is great television, although I'm not sure how much media attention it's really going to get (how many people are sitting around watching the news this week?)

2) This has the added advantage of looking like B doesn't care about grabbing media attention.

3) Has anyone noticed that Bush (publicly) cries a lot? Does anyone else find that disturbing?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 16 of 49
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

It's true. Happy Thanksgiving to all, btw

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/27/tha...rdp/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104246,00.html

This will no doubt be heralded by troops and Bush supporters. I also have no doubt the opposition will go apoplectic. Personally, whomever came up with the idea is an effing genius. Rove? Perhaps. Bush gets total dominance of media coverage when one hell of a lot of folks are sitting around eating and watching TV...and since it is a holiday he pretty much own the airwaves without opposition.

It just shows he cares more about reelection than his own safety or that of the United States. First he lands on an aircraft carrier and now this. Gah.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Heh. The similarities are striking once you think of it. The Bush visit to the troops and a typical halftime locker room speech...win one for the Dubya!

As far as I can recall, the only other president who visited troops in a war zone was Johnson in '66 to Vietnam. Very secretive trip too. Bush also stated that we weren't leaving Iraq until the job is done...so that "Mission Accomplished" is now spun away...

Just another photo-op. Heard it had been planned back since mid-October.

All I got from it...

Oh, and Bush senior visited the troops in Saudi Arabia...before the fighting started. Mrs. Bush wore camo!

• Reply 18 of 49
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Hmm maybe if he would take a tour in Saddam City yelling "Bring 'em on" \
  • Reply 19 of 49
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericg

Hmm maybe if he would take a tour in Saddam City yelling "Bring 'em on" \

• Reply 20 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Well, I have to say, at least you're honest about what this presidency is all about.

I don't think that, and some of the other comments here are totally fair. Look, Bush has quite the masterful team of PR folks, no argument there. But then, so did Clinton. So did Reagan. Since Reagan , more and more attention has been payed to making the President look like the President. I'm not sure it's right to say it's what "this" presidency is all about.

I'm a supporter so I think it's great...even hilarious. As I said, the move is total political genius. Keeping it secret, the way he entered the room, the dominant media coverage, the PR boost, the boost in morale...it's all pretty unbelievable.

However, I think Bush really wanted to go for the right reasons. He had to know what a morale boost it would be. I'm sure he knew the politcal benefits as well (anyone who still underestimates his political skills is a fool). It is, in fact "a big deal". He flew into an extemely dangerous area. I don't care how much security there was...it was enourmously dangerous. There was definitely some risk in him doing this.

Read a reporter's notes: http://www.drudgereport.com/flashbb.htm

The whole thing is pretty amazing. The media went crazy and so did the military. As I said, I would expect nothing less than for his detractors to go absoluely nuts with this.