Apple Ginza Tokyo Store Photographs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    They are not sterile in person. There is more of a stylish look and feel about it. What is the Apple market share in Canada? I believe there are Apple stores in the UK and Ireland. Why leave you guys out I wonder...
  • Reply 22 of 48
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meilleure ami

I believe there are Apple stores in the UK and Ireland.

No, this is Apple's first non-U.S. store.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Geez... So-many-Macs. Is this the first Apple Store in Tokyo/Japan?

Yes, it is.

There was a post over at MacNN a few days ago (which, typically, I can't find now) stating that a second store in Japan will open early or middle 2004.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Post-opening pics here and here.
  • Reply 25 of 48

Note how customers are smiling in the "sterile" store!

Another store will open in Osaka Japan next year. The stores look similar to The Gap (remove the clothes and replace with computers and such).... designed by the same firm. They are not sterile. They are brightly lit, are neat with plenty of room and invite customers to play with the product (children and adults). Large posters adorn the walls and are changed every few months. The Soho store in New York won an award for design. The smaller Mall stores, the ones that don't have a theatre, are also very pleasant - just on a smaller scale. Apple is only opening stores where the feel the population in that particular area will support and buy from them. Apple Stores are in business to make money not just for promotion.

Add The Grove in Los Angeles as a flagship store as well.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The stores look similar to The Gap

From memory, Jobs and someone from The Gap had cross directorships for a period of time. I also recall Steve-O saying that he learned a lot about retail while he was a Director of The Gap - this has obviously had a significant impact on the execution of Apple's retail strategy.

The more I see of Apple's management strategy recently (hardware and software rollouts, approach to open systems, consumer electronics strategy, retail, etc) the more excited I get about its stock. Jobs' and Apple look like they are on a very serious mission here.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meilleure ami

They are not sterile in person. There is more of a stylish look and feel about it. What is the Apple market share in Canada? I believe there are Apple stores in the UK and Ireland. Why leave you guys out I wonder...

I'm not sure what the market share is but I do know we have in excess of 4 million people in the greater Toronto area. Pretty much on par with Chicago or there abouts. That's a ton of people you can potentially convert or at least expose them to your product.

Then again, Apple might be thinking..."well Buffalo's only a 2 hour drive for them." Not sure about the west coast...is there a store in Seattle area? If so, they might be saying the same to the Vancouverites.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

The store on Michigan Ave in Chicago is beautiful. I love it. Only one problem, every time I go there I manage to spend too many hours of my already short life salivating over something I can't possibly afford. It's all school's fault, they take too much of my money. I need another job...

i get vertigo on the staircase if i look down, i'm positively hanging on to the railing for dear life. don't know why it doesn't happen going up.

(edit)more on the gap relationship, although it was totally gutted the michigan avenue location was a gap, and i know it wasn't the only one.

i can't imagine there not being an apple store in toronto someday, what is it,? yunge street? is that still happening? i haven't been there in a while.
  • Reply 29 of 48

Well, at least the customers were smiling!

P.S. Apple hired a former VP of The Gap to run their retail operation. He is Ron Johnson. Also Mickey Drexler who is CEO or was CEO of The Gap is on Apple's board of directors.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

The other flagship store is the Apple Store at the Grove in Los Angeles.

I believe that all the flagship stores are also "standalone". Many Apple stores are in malls or pre built structures. I know that Apple built an entirely new building for the Michigan Ave. store, and I would assume the same for the SOHO and Japan stores as well.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I believe that all the flagship stores are also "standalone". Many Apple stores are in malls or pre built structures. I know that Apple built an entirely new building for the Michigan Ave. store, and I would assume the same for the SOHO and Japan stores as well.

the SOHO store is an historical landmark.....old post station. so, apple didn't build that.....it used to be a restoration hardware as well.

San Francisco will be receiving the next flagship store. Still far from done but it's going to be awesome. and I know the architects who are designing it.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

the SOHO store is an historical landmark.....old post station. so, apple didn't build that.....it used to be a restoration hardware as well.

San Francisco will be receiving the next flagship store. Still far from done but it's going to be awesome. and I know the architects who are designing it.

the chicago store is not new, they gutted a gap store.

new roof maybe.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    I believe the Ginza store is as Chicago and not a new building. According to one poster on MacRumors forum, the line was 10 blocks long (in the rain).

Rain stopped!

Here's a bunch of other photos.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

the chicago store is not new, they gutted a gap store.

new roof maybe.

um...from the photos i saw the only thing they didn't completely tear down from the chicago store were the steel beams.

i think it's safe to say it's a new store.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

um...from the photos i saw the only thing they didn't completely tear down from the chicago store were the steel beams.

i think it's safe to say it's a new store.

well if you wander back by their back alley you can see the original bricks under the new surface.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

well if you wander back by their back alley you can see the original bricks under the new surface.

:-\\

the original building

• Reply 37 of 48
    you knpw i actually remember those photos so obviously you're correct.

it's just during the queue on opening night i was leaning against the back wall (for about a half an hour) and there was this whole discussion of how they put the facade of the building over the ratty old brick. maybe i've gone nuts because i can't see where it would be from the photos. but it was in the back by the part of the building that is higher.

i'll snap a photo of it next time i'm there. unless i have gone round the bend.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, check out those speakers in the Ginza store!

I'm assuming they're speakers...

If they are, I WANT them!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Wow, check out those speakers in the Ginza store!

The ones that look like Pratt & Whitneys or the ones that look alien genitals?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Both. I'm not much of an audio geek, so I was completely unaware of either.

I was going to get the JBL Creatures. Those and the iSub are about the extent of my "speakers for Macs" knowledge.