Cable TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    TV is good sometimes. Just never chose it over doing something else.

<bit off topic> Looking at the specs of the new EyeTV 400, d'you think it would be possible to connect it to an Airport Extreme Base Station and then roam around the house with a PowerBook, picking up TV on your wireless home network? That would be wicked!

But I see that the Base station only has USB and the EyeTV uses FireWire (400 or 800? - and no, its not 400 cos its called EyeTV 400 (I think)). Maybe the EyeTV has USB out too? As far as I can tell there aren't any Tech Specs out yet for the new EyeTV - only a press release.

I want wireless TV on my PowerBook! (I want an AE Base Station...) </bit off topic>
  • Reply 22 of 28
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

About four months ago I gave back my Comcast digital cable box I can't afford $80.00 a month for really only HBO, IFC and Sundance. For three months I had NO TV. It was great not to be pushed advertised bullshit on one end and given 100 other channels of garbage in between...

But one day last month I connected the Comcast cable lying there on the floor into my antenna jack on the VCR and bingo...I have Turner Classic Movies, MTV, History Channel, ESPN, Comedy Channel, PBS stations and Local stations...for free...that'll do. I'll rent movies whenever I want and DVDs of 6 Feet Under and Carnival later.

I did the same thing when I lived in Florida. I cancelled my service and returned the box. A few months later I looked at the cable outlet and thought....hmmmmm..... tried it and it worked!

It's not really stealing cable... I did cancel it.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    The only reason I have cable ... HBO

Not to sound like a promo, but HBO has the best programming and original movies, hands down. And since I need cable/Sat for HBO, I enjoy getting CNN/Fox/MSNBC, etc (I'm also a news/politics junky).
  • Reply 24 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

It's not really stealing cable... I did cancel it.

It is really stealing cable. Why would you steal something that isn't even worth having?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    yeah. I haven't had cable now for about a year and a half and don't miss it. But I gotta have my movies so Netflix is serving me pretty well.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Netflix all the way for me. But I do miss sports coverage.

BTW I heard that federal law states that Cable TV operators must offer you local free channnels and ala cart pay channels.

Yes this means you should be able to order

estimated pricing

$15 basic service

5$ cable box rental

$20 HBO or any other paid channel.

They call it Tier 1 Buy Through and if you call Comcast or whoever and ask for it I bet you money they play dumb since it does not have to be advertised. Remember though it's Federal Law...threaten to sue if you have to.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Need TV for football. MUST HAVE FOOTBALL!
  • Reply 28 of 28
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

<rant>

Why do I pay for cable tv? It is mostly commercials, I man damn they should be paying me!

</rant>

Yea, why do you pay for cable tv??

There are 2 things that I watch in tv: Simpsons and the soccer. I always forget when the simpsons are so I haven't watched it in the past 2 years, and the soccer .. well, Telemundo shows the Fire home games for free and the soccer season is over anyway ...

Tv is boring. I think I go to bed ...