Next Microsoft Office Coming Soon?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

is it just me, or are the recent ms office commercials (the whole team celebration theme) on t.v. annoying anyone else?

p.s. bartonab, wherever you work, are they hiring? (i gotta ask)

Of course we're always looking for talented people....and if we're not, I'm sure our clients are.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, so this isn't exactly office-related, but when i started lurking around microsoft's website, i walked into the windows area, and what should curse my corneas but the visage of... this... ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THEIR WINDOWS AREA.

is this a joke? is this a feature that drives windows sales? is the entire computing universe insane?

p.s. bartonab, i just PM'd you.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Alright you all, calm down, it's just a discussion, not a proponent for the existence of life. As long as Microsoft's around, Office will be the office suite by which all business communications revolve around. It's Microsoft's cock and balls if you will. If Apple tries to come out with their own office-like package, I think Microsoft will give Apple their middle finger. This OpenOffice is just crap you tinker with when you're bored and you can't stomach another game of Elite Force or Quake....so forget the deep conversations about it's pros and cons. We all know this, it's a fact, and their no reason to discuss it.

So, let me begin again. Where the $%^& is the new Office for The Mac, and would someone tell the Microsoft that I want Entourage to be just as functional as Outlook. Oh praise to them for Exchange support, praise to them for fixing the Quartz mess, praise yada yada yada, but this is me looking the gift horse in the mouth. I want it, and I want it now! Viva La Office 2004 For Macintosh!
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Bien vous tout, calmez, c'est seulement une discussion, pas un partisan pour l'existence de vie. Aussi longtemps que Microsoft vers, le Bureau sera la suite de bureau par qui toutes communications d'affaires tournent autour de. C'est le coq de Microsoft et les balles si vous ferez. Si la Pomme essaie de sortir avec leur propre packet de bureau-comme, je pense que Microsoft donnera leur doigt de milieu Ã* la Pomme. Ce OpenOffice est seulement crap vous se mêlez quand vous vous ennuyez et vous ne pouvez pas l'estomac un autre jeu de Force d'Elite ou Tremblez. ...so oublie que les conversations profondes de c'est pro-et les contres. Nous tout sait ceci, c'est un fait, et leur aucune raison pour le discuter.

Si, me permettre de commence encore. Où le $ % ^& est le nouveau Bureau pour Le Mac, et ferait quelqu'un dit le Microsoft que je veux que l'Entourage pour ait été seulement aussi fonctionnel que la Perspective. Oh la louange Ã* les pour le soutien d'Echange, la louange Ã* les pour réparer le désordre Ã* quartz, le yada de yada de yada de louange, mais ceci est me regardant le cheval de don dans la bouche. Je le veux, et je le veux maintenant! Viva La Bureau 2004 Pour Macintosh!
  • Reply 25 of 31
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bartonab

Alright you all, calm down, it's just a discussion, not a proponent for the existence of life. As long as Microsoft's around, Office will be the office suite by which all business communications revolve around. It's Microsoft's cock and balls if you will. If Apple tries to come out with their own office-like package, I think Microsoft will give Apple their middle finger. This OpenOffice is just crap you tinker with when you're bored and you can't stomach another game of Elite Force or Quake....so forget the deep conversations about it's pros and cons. We all know this, it's a fact, and their no reason to discuss it.

So, let me begin again. Where the $%^& is the new Office for The Mac, and would someone tell the Microsoft that I want Entourage to be just as functional as Outlook. Oh praise to them for Exchange support, praise to them for fixing the Quartz mess, praise yada yada yada, but this is me looking the gift horse in the mouth. I want it, and I want it now! Viva La Office 2004 For Macintosh!

Not in those exact words, but I agree...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bartonab

first off, kudos for the bilingual admonishment.

now, if i were a betting man, considering that microsoft just changed their structure for the office suite (student, standard, and pro), and that VPC (which is included with the pro version) is just getting finished for windows (so they can now get the mac version complete -- why else do you think they got that shipment of g5's?), AND that any new version would require a big splash announcement, i would personally expect something at macworld sf in the first week of january.

that seems like a plausible time based on their current schedule. but again, that's just me looking at their patterns and making an uneducated guess.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    and Ballmer.

Separated At Birth.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    To be honest with you.. this topic kind of confuses me... You complain about Microsoft's security holes, and all that.. but then you install Office on your Mac, and then complain about its features...

The realization here is that Office for the Mac, will always be lacking compared to the windows versions, the only reason Office is even on the Mac is for a good show that Microsoft is multiple platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if a new verion of Office isn't even released for the Mac, just for the fact that nothing in office has really changed since the 2000 release.

As to MS being a Monopoly.. all I have to say is that you choose which OS to run when you buy a computer. You can easily not use it and get the refunded amount from the OEM. Microsoft is just a smart business that was more clever then most.

And for the last time... PC does not equal Windows.

PC stands for Personal Computer, and it's something that Steve Jobs coined way back when.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Actually, in a lot of ways, Office v.X for the Mac is much more usable than either Office XP or Office 2003 for Windows. The Mac version is easier to install, includes an integrated news reader in Entourage, better graphing abilities in Excel, the blessed Formatting Palette in Word, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh, it's the little things...

Just got sent a Word doc that TextEdit didn't handle well. Fire up Word. Print to PDF.

Whoops, the save dialog has the document title/filename as 'Formatting Palette'.

Yup, it took the name of the 'frontmost window'... forgetting to ignore palettes that float over documents.

Roit.

It's stuff like that that just makes me roll my eyes at their developers. :P I mean c'mon guys... really.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It's stuff like that that just makes me roll my eyes at their developers. :P I mean c'mon guys... really.

have they gotten past the character limit in file names yet? or will that be one of the major "features" of Office v. X1? (or whatever it'll be called)