Pot is bad, kids, m'kay?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it just me, or have we been flooded with anti-pot ONDCP commercials on TV lately? They seem to be aimed at kids, which is fine ("Just tell her parents you weren't watching her because you were getting high"). Kids are the most important and fertile audience for such ads.

My problem is that kids aren't dumb. And they can see as well as me that you could substitute "drinking" for "smoking pot" in any of the commercials, and they would still make perfect sense. Don't drink/gethigh and drive. Don't drink/gethigh and watch kids. Don't drink/gethigh and [insert attention-requiring activity here].

Oh, and the tag liine: "Marijuana is more harmful than you think." Really? You mean marijuana is just as bad as beer? That'll deter a 16 year-old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Well, at least they're not doing the ones that equate purchasing weed with sponsoring terrorism anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Those commercials are ridiculous.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    I.....agree...groverat

• Reply 4 of 68
    Sorry, those commercials have no effect whatsoever. If they did, why does almost everyone that I know smoke pot/cigarettes and drink. Keep in mind that I'm 18. Drinking is illegal (as is pot smoking, duh...) Kids don't get it. They are dumb. And I'm allowed to say that, I don't smoke/drink, never have and never will.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I was talking to a friend on the phone during Monday Night Football (we were both watching the game), and the little girl by the pool commercial came on and my friend says, "Oh man, that reminds me!"

<packs bowl> "Hang on a sec" </chokes one down>
  • Reply 6 of 68
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ever since I was in Middle School, my fictional mental image of "Big Brother" and the puppet-masters of my life consist of 6 old, wrinkled, men hunched over a wooden table with a single bulb shining overhead. These men would spend the countless years trying to make my life as difficult as possible. Every time I come across a word on a spelling test so old I would never use, I think of them. Facts I memorize but never use would cause these men to break out in laughter at my expense.

They are my nemesis.

Oh the memories. Last year my top two ratable offenses in society were bad drivers and the AdCouncil. Now there are threads for both. These PSA's (Public Service Announcments) are created in the rabid minds of old people who have too much money and pent-up aggression towards the world. The stereotypes they use do not even reflect the current generation of kids these ads target. If you analyse these PSA's, you will see just how manipulative these are designed to be. Girls are innocent and cute, and men are the root of all evil. I think the AdCouncil is doing more harm than good. I've been more aware of drugs and such around me and am closer to them than ever before.

I was raised by my parents, not the TV. I can make up my own mind. Don't tell me what to think.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Kids don't get it. They are dumb. And I'm allowed to say that, I don't smoke/drink, never have and never will.

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'.

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

For the times they are a-changin'.

- Bob Dylan, The Times They are a Changin' (1963)
  • Reply 8 of 68
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Whats the deal here? Anti-marijuana ads all over...but anyone seen an anti-crystal meth ad? Or an anti ecstacy ad? Or an anti GHB ad? Or an anti-crack/ anti-cocaine ad? Or an anti-booze ad?

Why does marijuana remain the big bogeyman amongst intoxicants? Do people still believe in that "reefer madness" nonsense?
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Makes you long for the days of the "When I grow up, I wanna be a junkie" ads, doesn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 68
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Whats the deal here? Anti-marijuana ads all over...but anyone seen an anti-crystal meth ad? Or an anti ecstacy ad? Or an anti GHB ad? Or an anti-crack/ anti-cocaine ad? Or an anti-booze ad?

Why does marijuana remain the big bogeyman amongst intoxicants? Do people still believe in that "reefer madness" nonsense?

I think it's because they feel it's the "Gateway drug".... and if they stop it at the source, they'll lessen the problem.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Modern attitudes about marijuana are the closest thing to a chink in the anti-drug establishment's armor. Why spend money telling Americans that crack is bad if they already believe it? Marijuana, however, must be different....

Why is kind bud portrayed as the bad bogeyman? Because too many people think of it as kind bud!

Obviously this means our collective minds must be changed! Enter television...

THANK YOU, anti-drug establishment!

<prozac> </prozac>

The city where I live just passed a law (by citizen initiative) directing our police department to make enforcement of marijuana possession laws its lowest priority.

Perhaps the anti-drug forces are feeling defensive?

peace,

dglow
  • Reply 12 of 68
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    And from what I saw in a commercial, marijuana is now a fertility drug! Yup, smoke once and there's a baby in there!

Man, it makes me appreciate the anti-drug commercials there used to be, "I'm not a chicken, you're a turkey" "I learned it from watching you", etc. Ah man, the "I wanna be a junkie" ones were great.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apart from the politics, which may be specious, authorities have very legitimate reasons to worry.

We drink, we know it's bad (if overdone). We smoke cigarettes, and we know unequivocally that it ain't doing the body any favors. We take other elicit drugs and know they're bad too, but that's besides the point: let us deal with solely with drugs in various states of toleration or legality throughout the world.

It's all about marketting. Kids smoking weed today, for the most part are either stupid or ignorant, or both. Let's be clear, I'm not contesting the issue of whether or not an adult should be able to smoke a relatively benign joint on occassion, just the marketting campaign that has promoted weed from counter culture recreational drug to general health tonic in the minds of many many young people.

Don't believe it? I can't tell you how many teens I've heard repeat with the upmost sincerity that smoking weed is "safer" than cigarettes, because it's "natural" or that it's less addictive than alcohol or nicotine. Long term use of marijuana combines some of the worst effects of both -- slowing the mind in much the same way as alcoholism and doing the same damage to heart and lungs as tobacco.

So, within the confines of a conservative anti-drug policy, what exactly could the propagandists do? They have to re-familiarize people with negatives -- health, not legal negatives -- rather than let the general pop stupidity prevail.

I haven't seen the ads, or haven't noticed, which bodes poorly, cause I make it my business to notice these things. I don't exactly what they drive at, but rest assured, pot most assuredly is bad for you (no sarcasm needed)

I wonder, though, if we stepped out of that mode, and did less politically invested analyses of marijuana, that we might stand a better chance of education and control through de-criminalization, legalization, and ultimately taxation.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    At least they don't yell at you, like the Truth ones do. That makes me want to smoke cigarettes more and flick the butts in their hair.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    See this can go directly along with the TV thread. Again showing you that you're better off not watching TV, especially if you don't want to see biased, ignorant advertising.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    More people die every year from smoking related illnesses and drunk driving than ever do from attention deficit problems because of pot.

It's ludicrous that there's a huge advertising campaign to deter people from smoking pot when alcohol and cigarettes are 100 times more lethal.

Then they give you the "gateway drug" B.S.

Here's a question... what do kids try BEFORE they smoke pot... ALCOHOL and CIGARETTES... the true gateway drugs.

People need to be realistic... you can't go telling kids not to do drugs when you're sitting there drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I think weed is a lot less harmful then alcohol, but they are both used pretty much at my school...or at least in my group of friends which tends to be on the more popular side. I think that weed and drinking is perfectly fine if used in moderation and relatively safely. I think the biggest problem is people just being stupid. Never has smoking or drinking incapacitated me from being able to function properly. Girls shouldn't drink so much that bad things can happen to them without them knowing. The problem is know your limit, and don't be stupid.

Marajuana is the gateway drug because it is. If it weren't around there would be another refered to as the gateway drug.

Disclaimer: Seriously drugs have negative effects and most people can't cope with them or use them safely. I think it is a bad idea for anyone to use drugs or hang out with people under the influence of them.

I didn't want this to sound like I'm an advocate because I'm not, I just think it's stupid and illogical to think they are as bad as some people do and think that there is a definate need to crack down on the less harmful ones.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Here's a question... what do kids try BEFORE they smoke pot... ALCOHOL and CIGARETTES... the true gateway drugs.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I can't tell you how many teens I've heard repeat with the upmost sincerity that smoking weed is "safer" than cigarettes, because it's "natural" or that it's less addictive than alcohol or nicotine. Long term use of marijuana combines some of the worst effects of both -- slowing the mind in much the same way as alcoholism and doing the same damage to heart and lungs as tobacco.

these particular people you spoke with do seem a bit misguided. tobacco is naturally found in nature, just like marijuana. well, actually, i believe that marijuana smoking is less harmful than tobacco, does that make me stupid? i've read studies (scientific ones, too) about marijuana's danger, and tobacco's. They have located and discerned more carcinogens in marijuana (iirc, a lot more). But, oddly enough, these carcinogens, which independant of cannabis can be really dangerous, don't tend to be as harmful in marijuana. There's a study from Johns Hopkins (mentioned here). In it they say that marijuana does not cause cancer in the same degree that tobacco and alcohol (!) do. Of course, he does mention in the article a study with opposing findings, but then it comes down to which study you (want to) believe. There is evidence that marijuana is not as harmful as tobacco (or alcohol!), and I don't think someone has to be stupid to believe it.

there is also evidence that marijuana is not as addictive (physically addictive, as opposed to emotionally or mentally addictive) as tobacco (nicotine) or alcohol, or most anything else. In this article, they have two charts of the relative effects of withdrawal, reinforcement, tolerance, dependance, and intoxiction for several drugs, including alcohol, tobacco and marijuana. (those 5 metrics being those which quantize the Amer. Phychiatric Assoc.'s definition of addiction) Marijuana is the weakest in near all categories.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

That's a good question, but I think it's even worse than that now. If you've been taking drugs to create and control moods since you were in kindergarten (Ritalin, etc.) you're familiar with the idea of doping yourself up to achieve a desired effect long before you crack your first beer or turn green attempting a drag on your first cigarette. For the few kids that might genuinely need those drugs it's a necessary evil, but I don't know anyone who doesn't think they're wildly overprescribed.

I credit the fact that I was and remain a relative teetotaler (I do have the occasional drink) to the more general fact that I hardly ever took drugs of any kind - even over the counter stuff - growing up. Now, I'm not going to pretend that this is because of some great moral superiority. The plain fact is that I was lucky enough to be healthy enough that I hardly ever needed any sort of intervention. But I still wonder if the habit of mind that doesn't even think of buying antacid or even aspirin to fix something has extended into the stronger stuff. I just don't think "I'd like X to feel Y."