LCD iMacs and Dead Pixels

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering if anyone who's gonna be getting a new iMac in the mail soon could post info about whether the LCDs have any dead pixels. I think it will be interesting to see how this issue is handled by Apple given the consumer oriented nature of the iMac. Dead pixels are a way of life in the LCD world (my dual-USB iBook has a niffty always on blue pixel), but many consumers may see them as a defect. What do y'all think?



Thanks
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    If I get just one dead pixel I will call Apple and tell them I have four. I will not stand for imperfection on a machine that set me back US $1,951.



    [ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 48
    stupid (whatever). It sounds like you have a "stuck" pixel and not a dead one. Try gently massaging the area in a circular motion. Don't press hard and use a cloth when doing it.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ngainngain Posts: 20member
    Does that work? I have a stuck blue one also on my Dual usb iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by ngain:

    <strong>Does that work? I have a stuck blue one also on my Dual usb iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    yes, i had a 'stuck red' on my TiBook. It's perfect now, well, it's not a dual G4, so i can't say 'perfect'...
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Thanks for the info. I tried it, but I still have a tiny blue smurf sitting there in the LCD. It's not bothersome to me, but new iMac users may not like them. I wonder if Apple will include any special documentation that expains them with the new iMacs?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I have a Powerbook 550 and a dual USB iBook 500. On the Powerbook there are 3 stuck pixels (blue and white!) in the central area of of the screen...on the iBook there is one dead pixel and a few stuck...no ammount of massaging has cured them...



    I have called Apple numerous times, but they have been really unhelpful and refused to do anything at all...even examine the macine! they claimed both LCDs were within aceptable limits (a good call without seeing them)! Obviously their standards are somewhat lower than mine.



    If 'Joe Public' spends £1800 on a computer and finds dead pixels, the 'acceptable paramaters' argument is not going to go down too well...and could spark alot of bad publicity...Apple needs to sort out thier policy...



    Marc
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Had a PowerBook 1400c which had about 3 dead pixels on it (couple in the central area) and that was pretty irritating.



    Since then I've had a PowerBook G3 333 (Lombard), PowerBook G3 400 (Pismo), and now a PowerBook G3 500: none of which have had a single dead pixel (although the 400 developed a stuck pixel which was massaged away).



    I'm now awaiting delivery of an iBook 600 and I'll let you know if my luck's run out.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Current Hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    There are two dead pixels on my cinema display but unless I look at an all white screen I can't find them.

    They were there when it shipped six months ago and the number has not changed since then.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I too have had no problem with the LCD on my Lombard powerbook. Not a single dead pixels. Maybe Apple has fixed the dead problem, though I have no idea what causes them or if the problem is fixable. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Apple can't fix the problem as they don't make the displays. It's a very difficult manufacturing process but there are less dead or stuck pixels then there used to be. I had a white pixel that stayed that way for several weeks after my iBook arrived. I did massage the area to seemlingly no result. One day I looked up and it was no longer stuck.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    I know they have to allow for some dead and stuck pixels, but it will be interesting to see how much media attention this gets if people start getting dead pixels.



    I'm guessing that for many of the iMac buyers, this will be their first LCD display purchase, and probably have no idea of this policy.



    They'll see 3 dead pixels, assume the display is faulty, and call Apple for a replacement. They'll be FLOORED when Apple says "I'm sorry sir, 7 dead pixels is still below our tolerance level."



    The last dozen LCDs I've seen have all been perfect - let's hope the quality of the iMac LCD has the same consistency.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    On my iBook there's no dead pixels. Same goes for my 15" NEC LCD. Should be interesting to see the reactions of iMac newbies when they see a dead pixel.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

    <strong>On my iBook there's no dead pixels. Same goes for my 15" NEC LCD. Should be interesting to see the reactions of iMac newbies when they see a dead pixel.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    As i said, if I do get a dead pixel I will multiply its that number by four. I will then call Apple support (I have 3 year applecare) and tell them that I have 4 dead pixels. If they say 4 isnt enough to require a new monitor then I will call back later and say that more have developed.



    I dont care if it is untruthful, I want a perfect computer.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

    <strong>



    As i said, if I do get a dead pixel I will multiply its that number by four. I will then call Apple support (I have 3 year applecare) and tell them that I have 4 dead pixels. If they say 4 isnt enough to require a new monitor then I will call back later and say that more have developed.



    I dont care if it is untruthful, I want a perfect computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    1.) they will ask you to send it in for repair (apple will not under almost any circumstance just replace your computer) and then see you are lieing or have tampered with it to make it true

    2.) it's a risk of LCDs. grow up. If you wanted completely perfect displays everytime you would be paying a lot more than 1799 for an iMac
  • Reply 16 of 48
    "I see dead pixels..........." :eek:
  • Reply 17 of 48
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Never had a dead pixel on my iBook or Pismo.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

    <strong>



    As i said, if I do get a dead pixel I will multiply its that number by four. I will then call Apple support (I have 3 year applecare) and tell them that I have 4 dead pixels. If they say 4 isnt enough to require a new monitor then I will call back later and say that more have developed.



    I dont care if it is untruthful, I want a perfect computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Don't be ridiculous. LCDs sometimes have dead pixels. Shit happens. Don't be a baby about it. Just accept it.



    [ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

    <strong>



    Don't be ridiculous. LCDs sometimes have dead pixels. Shit happens. Don't be a baby about it. Just accept it.



    [ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Actually I dont have to accept it. If I cry enough they will give me a new display. It probably wont be an issue though.



    My dads powerbook G4 doesnt have any problems. My brother applecello has no dead pixels on his iBook or 17 ASD.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

    <strong>



    Actually I dont have to accept it. If I cry enough they will give me a new display. It probably wont be an issue though.



    My dads powerbook G4 doesnt have any problems. My brother applecello has no dead pixels on his iBook or 17 ASD.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    no they won't. and you're right chances are you want have a problem



    what a spoiled brat

    <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
Sign In or Register to comment.