End of Virtual PC on the Mac?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Firewire now has the ability to connect via TCP/IP. I think you could set up a system on an external box and connect to it via Remote Connection. That would be something. The real key is, how small of a device could it be? Could a box with almost no parts other than a CPU host its software on the Mac's harddrive?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The real key is, how small of a device could it be? Could a box with almost no parts other than a CPU host its software on the Mac's harddrive?

I think so. A mac can boot from an external drive, for instance, and doesn't need an internal drive when it does. I guess such a device would need not much more than a processor and RAM. It'd need pretty decent software too, to offload all the other necessities to the mac's hardware. But other than that, I really don't know how feasible this would be.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

der Kopf that's an interesting idea especially considering the bandwidth of FireWire 2. When I said Pentium I meant any x86 and yes I guess AMD is cheaper. Plague I said either/or because some people have only 1 vid card and just like VPC, I don't think you can have two OSes sharing one vid card. Can you?

They don't need to share one video card as these PCI cards came with their own video, audio and RAM. They DID use the systems Hard Drive for storage.

You couldn't use the same video card for a PC on PCI as the firmware that comes on the video cards Apple ships isn't compatible. (Byte order is backwards) Now if you procured a video card that was cross platform. (Very Rare) You might stand a fighting chance. Then you'd have to reset the video card every time you switched back and forth. And since the Video Card runs through AGP, You'd probably have memory corruption issues. I doubt you'd want to share memory space with windows. Not to mention possible parody check issues at the hardware level.

For more info on video card firmware (xlr8yourmac.com) This article does a reasonable job of outlining the issues involved. A great article and a nice hack I hope to perform on my fathers cube some day soon.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

Not to mention possible parody check issues at the hardware level.

Those smart-assed little-endian architectures. Can't trust 'em.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Shoudn't we start a new thread in FH with the subject "Hardware PC on a Mac" or something like that, and explain the ideas presented here? People knowing more on hardware could clarify things better.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Some apps outdated, some apps not even there (Virtual PC). I still don't get why the delivery of Macintoshes to one of the Mac's largest developers has stirred so much fuss.

I don't either, but you're missing a point - the Macintoshes arrived in Redmond, not in Silicon Valley. The Mac developers of Microsoft all live in Silicon Valley.

These G5s were for Microsoft's marketing / design division, not for development.

The guy was fired simply because he made photos - Apple would have done the same.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The Macintoshes arrived in Redmond, not in Silicon Valley. The Mac developers of Microsoft all live in Silicon Valley.

Interesting point. I wasn't aware of that. It does make matters a bit different.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The guy was fired simply because he made photos - Apple would have done the same.

Don't get me wrong here. I have no problem at all with this guy getting fired, I've even defended this Microsoft action in an old thread. What I was trying to say was that I hardly understood why many of the usual Mac haunts got all stirred up because: a) Microsoft bought a batch of G5's and b) some guy got fired for taking a picture within company grounds. Two things which are not news at all, and certainly nothing to make a fuss over.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

From the link:

Features:

Re-architected to ensure that it meets Microsoft's most stringent security standards

One word for that:

Darnit! You beat me to it!
  • Reply 49 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Don't get me wrong here. I have no problem at all with this guy getting fired, I've even defended this Microsoft action in an old thread. What I was trying to say was that I hardly understood why many of the usual Mac haunts got all stirred up because: a) Microsoft bought a batch of G5's and b) some guy got fired for taking a picture within company grounds. Two things which are not news at all, and certainly nothing to make a fuss over.

Well I fully agree with you on that