Saw Wesley Clark today

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On my way home from class, I saw that Wesley Clark was speaking at Daniel Webster College in Nashua (as I go by it on my way home), so I pulled in and saw him speak.

I was really surprised at what he was saying as I was under the impression that he was a Republican running as a Democrat which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm not sure how I feel about his Americorps type idea, but he had a lot of good things to say. His position on Iraq was very clear, he has a plan for a strong national defense, he has a plan to stop the out of control federal spending, and he had many things to say that I really agreed with.

If I had to vote today, I'd vote for Clark. I'm glad I had the chance to see him, as it really changed my view on him.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

If I had to vote today, I'd vote for Clark. I'm glad I had the chance to see him, as it really changed my view on him.

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Clark is an impressive, born-leader type of guy. Aside from the silliness of the flag burning amendment thing I can't find a big problem with him.

I should say, rather, that I can't find a thing that republicans could use for ad hominem attacks on him. Of course, I thought that McCain deserved the republican nomination much more than Bush, so I'm sure they'll find some way to impugn his character.

I don't even mind the flag burning amendment thing that much because it would almost be fun to watch the circus as the courts deal with people who burn flag look alikes, or flags missing one star, or flags with the colors mixed up, etc....

Disclaimer: I really haven't had the time to research all the candidates, so if I'm missing some gross policy issue let me know.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How's he going to control federal spending? Congress spends the money.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

originally posted by Scott

How's he going to control federal spending? Congress spends the money.

It is my impression that the president has veto power on the budget.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Topic: Saw Wesley Clark today

Big Deal.

• Reply 6 of 45
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Big Deal.

If I were not a thinking person I might have made the mistake you plan on making but,,, I thought I would Take some advice from our President and not be fooled again.

Fellows
  • Reply 7 of 45
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

How fitting. The flag only represent 24 out of 50 states. Just like just under half of the voters voted for W in 2000.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

How fitting. The flag only represent 24 out of 50 states. Just like just under half of the voters voted for W in 2000.

No kidding,,

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 45
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Stupid electoral system...

Screed
  • Reply 10 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    except Bush won 29 states...including Gore's home state
  • Reply 11 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

It is my impression that the president has veto power on the budget.

That wont get the pork out.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    PORK?

Like subsidies to logging and energy companies?

Tax loopholes for corporations?

No competition bids for Haliburton and Brown&Root?

Privatizing the Park Service?

The republican's have control... and have lots of friends and pet projects... lots of favors to return.

Clinton managed to balance the budget.

It's not hard to do.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Clinton managed to balance the budget.

He also let Bin Laden go when he was offered him on a silver platter...
  • Reply 14 of 45
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

He also let Bin Laden go when he was offered him on a silver platter

Meanwhile, back in the Bush Administration, most of the intelligence community is looking for WMDs in Iraq rather than trying to locate Bin Laden or Saddam Hussein.

Plus, the real trouble was back in the 80s when we were arming Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, but people just tend to ignore that....

Great line from Wesley Clark yesterday:

"I'm not attacking President Bush for attacking the terrorists, I'm attacking President Bush for not attacking the terrorists."
  • Reply 15 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

He also let Bin Laden go when he was offered him on a silver platter...

There's some truth to that, and in hindsight it certainly would have been great to have gotten him before 9/11. However, Clinton also bombed bin Laden in Afghanistan, long before 9/11, and the Republicans criticized him because they wanted to talk about Monica Lewinsky instead.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Oh... are you talking about the Sudan giving up Osama?

that's a good one... they wanted how many millions for that? and it wasn't even the Sudanese govt. offering him up... it was a private businessman who the CIA didn't feel we could trust.

Why aren't we still hunting for Al Qaida and Osama?

What happened to "we will get him dead or alive"?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

That's the 2004 platform.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

they haven't finished interviewing eric rudolph to figure out how someone could hide from us under their own power within our borders (hell, within NORTH CAROLINA'S borders) for seven years.

once they figure that out, they'll be able to figure out how to catch two figures half a world away with legions of people protecting and hiding them.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    doesn't help that your military is in the middle of Iraq...

It's like fishing for shark in lake michigan.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    See what I mean, republicans can't seem to find anything to attack Clark's character. Also, for some reason even though he has decidedly democratic positions on the issues, the evil "liberal" label doesn seem to stick.

When a clean cut general says, "If your kids were gay wouldn't you want them to have the same opportunities as everyone else?" suddenly gays in the military seems almost conservative for some reason.

The guy exudes leadership. It really is funny to see pubs even try to compare Bush to Clark. Rhode scholar? Ummm no... Distinguished military career? Well, he uh defended Texas from the vietnamese.