Digitimes: Magnesium Alloy iMacs next year

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The new iMac is superior to the old one in every design sense. It looks better; it works better. I don't prefer any gumdrops to the luxo-lamp. I guess I'm just too cool.

You miss the point. It isnt that the new iMac isnt a fantastic machine, or that the old iMac looks better. Its an undefinable - undesignable ? - sentimental, attachment. The old iMac inspires some sort of human relationship with the machine. Ive never felt it for the new iMac, but I really like my indigo ( and Ive just hijacked it ). Somehow the new iMac is a machine whose functionality is brilliant, whose design is a pinnacle of bauhaus design. I just dont love, I wont fight for it. Beautiful, but so remote...
  • Reply 82 of 89
    I'm still astonished that nearly two years after its introduction how many people still have no idea that the iMac's display moves. I was with a group of non-tech friends at the Grove Apple store recently and when one of the girls moved the screen she thought she had broken it and reached out to save it from falling. I've also seen similar episodes at Fry's and CompUSA.

People instantly "got" the original iMac's design and appeal because it was so dead simple and immediate. Though it seems ridiculous to criticize the new iMac for "failing" in this regard, its design may be actually a little too brilliant. The new iMac must be explained, a "fault" it shares with the ill-fated Cube.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Quote:

My favorite gumdrops were "Snow" "Tangerine" and "Graphite" -- not sure about the order of tangerine and graphite in that mix, it would all depend on my mood. Some, were just plain ugly -- hello "Lime"

Hey, I switched back to Mac primarily because of the Lime iMac, which I still own, which has an Epson 740i with the Lime green lid that matches, and which I upgraded with a new hard drive and additional memory because I don't want to get rid of it, even if it's a G3.

Now that I've heard that Panther actually runs well on G3 machines, I likely will upgrade to that before buying a new Mac.

I'm that attached to my little colored jellybean.

GTSC
  • Reply 84 of 89
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I liked my G3 iMac before I made a terrible, terrible mistake. I sat it down beside an LCD display, then later a cheap 17" CRT.

G3 iMac case, design, style: 9/10

G3 iMac display: -14,356/10
  • Reply 85 of 89
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    The old iMac is a prime candidate for a mod. I think that an eMac logic board would fit in there nicely, and a 17" lcd screen. Perfect. Now I just need to find a sage iMac to kill.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I had a DVSE and it was a great computer and I have FP iMac and it is way better than the DVSE. I like the fact that the screen can move and you really don't notice the dome when you're sitting in front of it. The iMac CRT was a perfect design but the FP iMac is a perfect design too. It allows you to do what you're supposed to do with an flat panel--move it. Why have a light, thin screen if you can't move it? The other thing, and people may deny it, is that the eMac is really just a 17" version of the 15" iMac that people wanted so bad. If Apple had made a 17" CRT iMac it might have been a bit more refined than the eMac, but maybe not, and we'll never know. Apple didn't change the world with the FP iMac but they did in many ways with the iPod and ITMS. Lighting doesn't always strike twice.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, the eMac was what so many were screaming for in 2000 or so: a 17" iMac with a G4. Two years later... (it was spring 2002, right?).

Anyway...
  • Reply 88 of 89
    Quote:

Two years later...

Or should that be, 'Two years TOO later...' ?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 89 of 89
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Meh. If people thought the new iMac intro was anti-climactic at the time, just imagine how dismally the eMac would have been received. Apple should take these risks.

People often like to accuse Apple of resting on its laurels. If Apple did settle for "good enough" designs like that, those people's opinions would be quite justified.

I'd rather see Apple take risks and fail on occasion than have them hope inertia carries them to mild success.