Oh, I see. They were targeting Black students.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The whole raid on the HS with guns drawn looking for non-existent drugs never really made sense before. I don't know why, but I just assumed the targets of the raid were white suburban students and, while I thought it was a bit odd, I figured it was still some of the post-columbine fear.

But I just saw the video and, sure enough, every one of the students was Black. The NYTimes explains more of the details:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/09/na...partner=GOOGLE

What unreal is that anyone, Black or White, would defend this sort of thing. I went to a big HS that was academically highly regarded and very well-known that also had gangs, in school gang shootings and a machete hacking (and this was quite a few years ago). At that time the number of kids with drugs was one in 10 or 15. Even in that situation, there is no way in hell the school admin or parents would let cops come in on a raid like that, and certainly not in a way that target Black students. And if there was, heads would roll before they knew what hit them. Maybe because the town is 'liberal.'

I really don't understand folks that claim there is racial equality in this country. You have to either live in the white suburbs or be completely oblivious to make that claim. It sickens me that this stuff still goes on. It's not like this behavior from police is isolated. I can give you a list of situations I've been in where race determined treatment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    And I had just finished reading Native Son last night.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Why else would we continue this idiotic "War On Drugs" if it didn't have the unacknowledged "benefit" of putting behind bars bored black youths . . .

racist and classist to the core . . . no, or very few, rich white people go to jail for marijuana . . . .
  • Reply 3 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    pfflam:

But did you know that marijuana makes you run over cute little girls on pink bicycles? Or it makes you forget to not let cute little toddlers drown in pools?

Marijuana makes you pregnant.

Marijuana makes you see ghosts.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Marijuana makes you see ghosts.

Well . . . only once in a blue moon are you lucky enough to get that stuff
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Well . . . only once in a blue moon are you lucky enough to get that stuff

you obviously dont have a very good dealer. i get high grade all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I, actually, have not smoked pot, except once or twice, for years and years

but I have no problem with it and know that it should be legal . . . or at least decriminalized
  • Reply 7 of 30
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I, actually, have not smoked pot, except once or twice, for years and years

but I have no problem with it and know that it should be legal . . . or at least decriminalized

What planet do you live on pfflam ?

It's bad enough with jackasses driving around drunk to the eyeballs...taking drugs of all sorts..

And you want to decriminalise this stuff..

Are you aware of all the psychiatric damage "dope" does..?

And don't give me that "dope is harmless" crap either..
  • Reply 8 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    When the other legal drugs (alcohol, nicotine, etc) that arguably are more addictive and more destructive are outlawed, *then* we can talk about rational legalizations or barring thereof.

The current legislation is idiotic and irrational. The war on drugs is an emotional issue, not an intellectual one, and is therefore pretty inane from the get go.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dope is harmless.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

What planet do you live on pfflam ?

It's bad enough with jackasses driving around drunk to the eyeballs...taking drugs of all sorts..

It isn't my business or that of the government's regarding what people can and cannot ingest. It would still be illegal to drive while under the influence. Such penalties should be stiffer because you are now infringing upon the rights of others when you do so.

All drugs should be legal and freely sold to anyone over 18.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

ahem, first of all alcohol is legal, and bad situations are controlled by drunk driving laws. they aren't totally effective, obviously, but for the majority of people out there who drink, it is apparent that drunk driving is dangerous and hazardous to one's health. second, pot has been shown to improve driving abilities. a study conducted in britain (link, of particular note is section 4.7), showed that stoned drivers tended to drive slower, and pay more attention to all the details of driving. here's a little quote:

Quote:

Intoxication with cannabis leads to a slight impairment of psychomotor ... function. ... [T]he impairment in driving skills does not appear to be severe, even immediately after taking cannabis, when subjects are tested in a driving simulator. This may be because people intoxicated by cannabis appear to compensate for their impairment by taking fewer risks and driving more slowly, whereas alcohol tends to encourage people to take great risks and drive more aggressively.

there are a lot more studies, pertaining to pot and driving, that show that pot doesn't hurt one's abilities, and more that say that pot can infact help.

Quote:

from what i've read, there are no known long-term effects of pot use wrt the psychology of the user. care to offer a little evidence? enlighten me, please. i agree its not harmless, but the effects aren't nearly as strong as the anti side believes. the most damaging effects, i think, are the physical effects on the lungs from inhiliation. i take that back, the most damaging effects are from prison.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

And I had just finished reading Native Son last night.

God that's a good book. So is Black Boy.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Why the government would have any business in policing what chemicals you voluntarily decide to put into your body is beyond me. But should you commit a crime while under the influence of a given influencing chemical, a stiffer penalty should be apportioned.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Finally, a real case of "the man keeping us down". You can bet your ass that raid was timed the way it was for a reason. South Carolina is still one of the most bass-akwards states in the union as far as race relations goes. Sadly, it's due mostly to a poor educational system in that state. If you don't educate kids right at a young age, their parents' prejudices will persist into their own adulthood. It just perpetuates. I have not seen any real improvement in race relations there since the 1970s when I was a kid spending the bulk of my summers there. Sad.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

But should you commit a crime while under the influence of a given influencing chemical, a stiffer penalty should be apportioned.

Better yet, a drug treatment stint with an eye on getting the criminal back into the work force.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Finally, a real case of "the man keeping us down".

It's really scary that some people are still unaware of the reality of the situation. I suppose it's hard to know about it in certain areas. I'm a white guy and have seen these situations all over the US for my whole life, up to and including the present. And I repeatedly live in a city hailed as one of the most racially progressive in the country.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I was arrested once, but when brought to the station the Sergeant looked at me, asked the arresting officers "What's he doing here?" And then told them to let me go because "We don't arrest white people on weekends."

He never said anything else to the two cops but they just simply let me me go.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

It's really scary that some people are still unaware of the reality of the situation. I suppose it's hard to know about it in certain areas. I'm a white guy and have seen these situations all over the US for my whole life, up to and including the present. And I repeatedly live in a city hailed as one of the most racially progressive in the country.

Well, I was being a bit sarcastic obviously... a cheap shot at the people who scream racism every time some person of dark skin color gets offended by someone else. But I agree with your comment in general. There are still attitudes to be overcome and prejudices to be stomped out... even today.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Well, I was being a bit sarcastic obviously... a cheap shot at the people who scream racism every time some person of dark skin color gets offended by someone else. But I agree with your comment in general. There are still attitudes to be overcome and prejudices to be stomped out... even today.

It wasn't really too much of a criticism directed at you. I was expanding on your point.

However, I think it's just avoidance to focus on people 'crying wolf' about race issues.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam ........

but I have no problem with it and know that it should be legal . . . or at least decriminalized [/B]

Pot (and other drugs) will never be decriminalized while the trend towards the privatization of prisons continues...with $billions at stake (much of it for Wackenhut, CCA etc,) together with a cheap captive labor pool, there is too much at stake for the correctional industry (!) which is naturally very well-represented by DC lobbyists.