Saddam Has Been Captured

Comments

• Reply 101 of 269
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I am for an Iraqi trial, with the official help of international lawyers. It's important that the trial is ruled by Iraqi people : it's a question of pride for them, and it's important that they recover some pride.

It's technically difficult, but it's necessary for the future of Iraq to suceed this trial.

Pride: "We executed Saddam!"

Therapy: "Didn't it feel good executing Saddam?"

• Reply 102 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Thanks be to god, now hurry and bring our troops home.

If this is the sentiment of many Americans, Bush would've been better off if Saddam had never been captured. American troops will not be leaving Iraq any time soon but if the attacks on coalition troops continues and people think that now that Saddam is captured there is no valid reason to remain there, Bush is in big trouble.

Anyway, if the people of Iraq want to try this bugger in their courts and have him suffer a punishment bestowed upon him by the people of Iraq, then so be it. If not, then off to Hague with him. America has no right to try to him in any fashion.
  • Reply 103 of 269
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually capturing Saddam will be bringing some troops home. they just got new orders as of last night. this is the only real change in their situation. i'm sure it's related.
  • Reply 104 of 269
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

That's not i said,

Pride : recovering a drop of sovereignity

Therapy : speak of the past, the deaths, pain and suffering. It's the place where victims or their family told their story. Talking of Saddam's crime is important.

Sincerly i was expecting more than :

What do you suggest : Iraqi people only seek revenge, they are baby that can rule themselves ? let's doing the job at their place ...

Revenge is not therapy, it only last a very short moment. People want the official recocnition of Saddam's crime.
  • Reply 105 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Death is too good for this man. They should torture him with the means he used to torture thousands...hell...even make up a few techniques. Pull out his finger nails one by one, pour scalding acid on his skin to melt it off...stuff like that. He deserves no less, and neither does bin Laden when we get him.

I agree.

There's a ALOT of intelligence info stored in that man. It should be useful to keep him alive for a long time. Connections to Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Russia, France, Germany, etc..

I'd also like a follow up on the stashed WoMD and the regimes now hiding them.
  • Reply 106 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

I agree.

There's a ALOT of intelligence info stored in that man. It should be useful to keep him alive for a long time. Connections to Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Russia, France, Germany, etc..

I guess that with proper torture he could connect even with my grand mother ...
  • Reply 107 of 269
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Ever notice that when things go good for the Republicans it takes no time at all for them to thumb their nose at the Dems and go "neener neener".

BUT, if a Democratic points out a failing we're "rooting" for American soldier's deaths, we're "rooting" for the economy to fail, etc.
  • Reply 108 of 269
    Quote:

I guess that with proper torture he could connect even with my grand mother ...

Now wouldn't that be interesting. I always suspected youz.
  • Reply 109 of 269
    Quote:

Technically a trial will be better at the La Hague. Most lawyers are for this suggestion. However this tribunal is not recocnize by US , so it won't happen.

But the important point, is the Iraqi people, from what i see on TV, heard on radio, they want to have a trial in Iraq, led by Iraqi people. Iraq people have been humiliated, both by Saddam, and for being occupied (it's paradoxal but that's the way many of them feel) : give them sovereignity for that one, give them a chance to make a funeral of this silly times, a sort of therapy of this dark moment of their history.

Saddam killed almost 4,5 millons of people. He is at the level of Staline (and he was a great fan of Staline IMO). I heard an interview of an Iraqi women living in GB, she said that Saddam made killed 40 members of her family. I have seen again, the deaths of gazed people : mostly kids and women, i see scenes of cutting hands or decapiting heads with swords.

This is the chance to fix problems in Iraq, US has to change his politic, and Europe has to help the Iraqi people. Forget the past (history cannot be changed), and improve the future of the Iraqi people and more generally the whole aera.

Very wise and true. This is about the Iraqi people.

Great post Powerdoc, I agree completely.

Fellowship
  • Reply 110 of 269
    Quote:

Now wouldn't that be interesting. I always suspected youz.

I'll just add that she died ten years ago ...
  • Reply 111 of 269
    Quote:

I always suspected youz.

• Reply 112 of 269
    Quote:

• Reply 113 of 269
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

I agree.

No there isn't. The guy has not been in touch with anything in the country for years. It's been a long time since he has lived in reality.

Everyone with any real idea of WMD programs has already been captured.

Don't pretend this is something it is not.
  • Reply 114 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

No there isn't. The guy has not been in touch with anything in the country for years. It's been a long time since he has lived in reality.

Everyone with any real idea of WMD programs has already been captured.

Don't pretend this is something it is not.

Your posts just get better and better. Keep it up.
  • Reply 115 of 269
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

That's not i said,

Pride : recovering a drop of sovereignity

Therapy : speak of the past, the deaths, pain and suffering. It's the place where victims or their family told their story. Talking of Saddam's crime is important.

Sincerly i was expecting more than :

What do you suggest : Iraqi people only seek revenge, they are baby that can rule themselves ? let's doing the job at their place ...

Revenge is not therapy, it only last a very short moment. People want the official recocnition of Saddam's crime.

AND the best way to do that is through either a fully international trial or an internationally-led trial: (from the IHT Editorial)

Quote:

"As we know from Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia, prosecutions of genocide or crimes against humanity can be enormously complex, demanding jurists of exceptional skill and sophistication. They require amassing volumes of official documents, collecting sensitive forensic evidence from mass graves, presenting hundreds of witnesses from among victims and accomplices, and paying scrupulous attention to the requirements of due process. To avoid being perceived as show trials or ??victor?s justice,?? they call for highly experienced jurists of unquestioned integrity.

Saddam?s brutal and arbitrary justice system can hardly be expected to have produced such jurists. Prosecutions were typically based on confessions, often induced by torture. Serious criminal investigations, let alone complex trials, were virtually unheard of. The Iraqi Governing Council hopes to solve this problem by looking to Iraqi exiles as well as Iraqis from communities historically repressed by the Baath Party who remained in the country. But even among these it will be difficult to find jurists with the right combination of skills and emotional distance from the former dictatorship to produce trials that are fair ? and seen as fair.

An internationally led tribunal would be a far better option, whether a fully international tribunal such as the ones established for Rwanda and former Yugoslavia or, more likely, an internationally run tribunal with significant domestic participation, such as the special court set up for Sierra Leone. Because its personnel would be selected by the United Nations rather than by Washington?s surrogates, an internationally led tribunal is more likely to be seen as legitimate. And because it can draw from a global pool of talent, it would be better able to secure the experienced and fair-minded jurists than a court that must look only to Iraqis. An internationally led tribunal could still conduct trials in Baghdad and involve Iraqis as much as possible, but it would be run by international jurists with proven records of overseeing complex prosecutions and scrupulously respecting international fair-trial standards.

"

I mean your comments are obviously superficial.

"Therapy?" "Pride?" I'm talking about reality here. Both the fairness of the trial and advancing the rule of law in Iraq should take precedent over any other reasons.
  • Reply 116 of 269
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Or even his connections to this guy and his government:

• Reply 117 of 269
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I'm feeling (perhaps wrongly and irrationally) very optimistic about this. It would absolutely great if the focus on saddam helps Iraq become a normal country.
  • Reply 118 of 269
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Ever notice that when things go good for the Republicans it takes no time at all for them to thumb their nose at the Dems and go "neener neener".

BUT, if a Democratic points out a failing we're "rooting" for American soldier's deaths, we're "rooting" for the economy to fail, etc.

Of course. That's because those people that do what you're saying are hypocritical morons.
  • Reply 119 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Pride: "We captured Saddam!"

Therapy: "Didn't it feel good trying him in the Hague?"

• Reply 120 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I'm feeling (perhaps wrongly and irrationally) very optimistic about this. It would absolutely great if the focus on saddam helps Iraq become a normal country.

I am very happy for the Iraqi people. This is a wonderful day for them.

Fellowship