Is Airport worth it?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian J.:

<strong>

He's talking about static IPs. Apparently, the "dot-com bubble" has not burst in Alaska yet. Because, on the mainland, very few ISPs are doling out multiple static IPs, much less eight of them, to consumer broadband customers. I was lucky for a little while and got 2 static IP's with my Rhythms DSL connection for $40 a month. But then Rhythms went out of business, and I had to switch to Comcast@Home which does everything through DHCP.

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, no. GCI's cable service operates on a DHCP connection, which is super-sweet setup wise. No numbers to punch in or anything. The thing is that they can assign up to eight numbers to each modem every time it connects.

Man, you poor Southies are really getting banged up the bum. But think of it this way, for $39.95/mo. you only get 256/64Kbps, with a 6GB/mo. cap on transfers. Of course I get mine for about $3 per month, due to some complicated special deal I really don't understand, but there it is. Lucky me!

wyn

[Edit: oh yeah, you can make your IP(s) static for a nominal monthly fee, but I prefer DHCP. I'm no server, though.]

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: wyntir ]</p>