Texas housewife busted for hawking erotic toys

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yo! What is up with Texas? The state needs to loosen up a bit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGEA3O52I1.DTL

A Texas housewife is in big trouble with the law for selling a vibrator to a pair of undercover cops, and the Brisbane vibrator company she works for says Texas is an "antiquated place'' with more than its share of "prudes.''

Joanne Webb, a former fifth-grade teacher and mother of three, was in a county court in Cleburne, Texas, on Monday to answer obscenity charges for selling the vibrator to undercover narcotics officers posing as a dysfunctional married couple in search of a sex aid.

Webb, a saleswoman for Passion Parties of Brisbane, faces a year in jail and a $4,000 fine if convicted.

"What I did was not obscene,'' Webb said. ""What's obscene is that the government is taking action about what we do in our bedrooms.''

The arrest of Webb in Cleburne, a small town 50 miles southwest of Dallas, was the first time that any of the company's 3,000 sales consultants have been busted, said Pat Davis, the president of Passion Parties. She said the company was outraged by the charges and stood behind Webb.

"It makes you wonder what they're thinking out there in Texas,'' Davis said. "They sound like prudes, with antiquated laws. They must have all their street crime under control in Texas if they're going to spend tax money arresting us.''

For the past year, Webb has sold the company's line of vibrators, gels, lubricants, strawberry-flavored nipple cream and "edible passion puddings.'' The merchandise is offered for sale in private, Tupperware-style parties to women who may be reluctant to visit an adult novelty store.

Among the company's top items are a $12 jar of passion pudding in chocolate and strawberry flavors ("apply head to toe, wherever you want your lover to linger"), a $9 jar of nipple cream in strawberry, raspberry and watermelon flavors, and battery-powered vibrators that sell for $17 to $140. The company also offers such lubricants as Slippery Stuff ($13), Lickety Lube ($12) and Lucky Stiff ($11.50), and a $22 battery-powered item for men known as Jelly Julie ("with soft jelly silicone lips").

"Our products are not obscene,'' Davis said. "All we're trying to do is help people build loving relationships.''

Webb suspects she got in trouble because she ruffled feathers in town by daring to join the Chamber of Commerce with her sex toy business. She said her arrest had caused her husband of 20 years to suffer a nervous breakdown.

Webb said she was amazed that the town's narcotics squad would be put on the case.

"We have a real problem with drugs in our schools,'' she said, "and they're using our narcotics officers to entrap me for selling a vibrator.''

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    why is it a crime? why did they spend the resources going after her?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

why is it a crime? why did they spend the resources going after her?

I am asking the same thing.

Fellowship
  • Reply 3 of 42
    If this is appealed to the Supreme Court, then the jurisprudential logic that the government has no business in the bedroom should lead to this law being struck down, with Lawrence v. Texas as the stare decisis in effect here.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    That sucks. Really.

What people do in their living room, is their OWN business. As long as everyone involved (in any sex etc) agrees with what's on and ENJOYS it (and it does not involve animals etc), it is no fscking business of the state.

I feel like going to buy a vibrator now, and then organizing a protest march somewhere here .. anyone wants to join?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Even if the charges are dropped.

How much money is she going to have to spend to defend herself? And how much crap is she going to get from the fundamentalists in her town?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

And how much crap is she going to get from the fundamentalists in her town?

I was thinking about how much business she's going to get from the fundamentalists in her town.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Has anybody seen the adverts where they have an old lady holding a "vibrating muscle relaxant" against her face to help with her aches and pains?

Looked mightily similar to a carrot! Maybe she could use this defence

• Reply 8 of 42
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, if i were in that town i'd vote that police chief out so fast his head would spin. what a stupid thing to waste time/money on.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's a bad new for Steve Jobs, reliable sources tell AI that he had a huge project for 2004.

To resume it, his goal was to bring the concept of the digital hub in our bedrooms ...
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's a bad new for Steve Jobs, reliable sources tell AI that he had a huge project for 2004.

To resume it, his goal was to bring the concept of the digital hub in our bedrooms ...

LOL
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

what a perv
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I think It was the iOrgasm device ?

then in 2005 the revised iOrgasm-uOrgasm

LOL
  • Reply 13 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I think It was the iOrgasm device ?

then in 2005 the revised iOrgasm-uOrgasm

LOL

And don't forget the new professional alu line, with more power ...

Steve Jobs was right : "macs are sexy"
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Feel different. .. swithc ads then, switch to iBrators?

an I 4 - I can't wait to get the I 5 ...

Maybe thatshwy thre isn't an apple store in texas?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

He even had a commercial made!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do. I'd sure appreciate some suggestions... I mean, all I did was sell a vibrator!

Anyone here a lawyer?

Joanne
  • Reply 17 of 42
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whoring Slut

I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do. I'd sure appreciate some suggestions... I mean, all I did was sell a vibrator!

Move to some civilized state or country.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Yo! What is up with Texas? The state needs to loosen up a bit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGEA3O52I1.DTL

A Texas housewife is in big trouble with the law for selling a vibrator to a pair of undercover cops, and the Brisbane vibrator company she works for says Texas is an "antiquated place'' with more than its share of "prudes.''

Joanne Webb, a former fifth-grade teacher and mother of three, was in a county court in Cleburne, Texas, on Monday to answer obscenity charges for selling the vibrator to undercover narcotics officers posing as a dysfunctional married couple in search of a sex aid.

That's how you know they are cops. Truth is only functional married couples buy sex toys.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Truth is only functional married couples buy sex toys.

Functional married couple is like Microsoft Security.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Mom got busted?!

DAMNIT!