It has arrived! 15" PB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

You know, I've been wrestling with whether to get a 12" iBook G4 or a 15" PowerBook, and I'd been leaning toward the iBook.

Are you not considering the 12-inch PowerBook at all, Amorph? I finally saw the 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook and new 15-inch PowerBook side-by-side a few weeks ago. There's no question that the 15-inch screen is very nice. Both of the 12-inchers have terribly dim (washed out) screens. OTOH, they're nice and small, while the 15-inch is simply too big for my taste. The 15-inch is even less appealing now that I have a nice new 17" LCD to hook up to any new 'Book I get.

So for me, I'm torn between the 12" iBook G4 and the 12-inch PowerBook. Even though the 15-inch is the perfect middle ground, I have reaffirmed my desire for something small and light.

Escher
  • Reply 22 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

[B]Are you not considering the 12-inch PowerBook at all, Amorph?[b]

Well, I don't want to hijack SDW's thread, but no.

All the machines have adequate performance for what I'll need. The only reason I'd look at a PowerBook is for the bigger screens.

By the way, congrats SDW! I'm glad your new 'Book is such a delight for you.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

pscates & SDW2001 - do either of you two use Konfabulator? And, if so, how is the screen space on the 15" for allowing you to have widgets displayed without encroaching over your normal workspace.

I know that it is OT, but I have had a lot of problems with Kanfabulator. Caused quite a few Kernal Panics before I got rid of it. Seems like a great program, just wasn't very solid, for me at least. I never had problems with screen real estate when it was running though.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    If any of you were put off getting a 15" albook because of the technical flaws, don't be. I also waited but eventually ordered my machine after I'd heard the screen problems had been fixed, and believe me this is the best computer I've ever owned.

It's fantastic, it's beautiful and it's flawless. It *is* however also pretty expensive, but on the other hand it's the cheapest top-of-the-range laptop apple has ever made.

I definitely couldn't recommend buying a G4 iBook instead unless you really don't have the cash, and there's no point getting a 12" (unless you need the portability) because if you set all the customizable options to match the 15" as closely as possible, the price is almost identical.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

If any of you were put off getting a 15" albook because of the technical flaws, don't be. I also waited but eventually ordered my machine after I'd heard the screen problems had been fixed, and believe me this is the best computer I've ever owned.

It's fantastic, it's beautiful and it's flawless. It *is* however also pretty expensive, but on the other hand it's the cheapest top-of-the-range laptop apple has ever made.

[snip]...

Mmmmmm ... so tempted (drool)
  • Reply 26 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

I definitely couldn't recommend buying a G4 iBook instead unless you really don't have the cash, and there's no point getting a 12" (unless you need the portability) because if you set all the customizable options to match the 15" as closely as possible, the price is almost identical.

Couldn;t agree more. This is the best portable apple has ever made. SOOO solid. The keyboard, screen, overall feel, performance, everything is fantastic.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, took mine to a MUG meeting last night and there was a bit of cooing over it. Particularly the screen size and illuminated keys.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I won't buy the PB as long as it has the Moto CPU.....

It took me so long to get out of the Moto's horror I don't want to move back
  • Reply 29 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, but I don't exactly sit there AWARE of it being a Motorola or whatever. I doubt anyone does.

It's fast, it works. How odd of a reason you have...

What do I care? Why should I? Isn't like it sucks. And I'm sure as hell not gonna SpecWhore? myself into waiting another 9-18 months for some sort of new IBM-based PowerBook, for bragging rights or a digital hard-on.

• Reply 30 of 30
    CongradulationsI also got my powerbook recently on tuseday the15 to be exact and i love it, i also got my 3g 10GB iPod and dock. i cant complain about anything except my stuck on blue sub pixels wich is not really that noticable but its a bit of a piss off. All i need now is good set of external speakers. the slot is a bit noisy but i dont use that many disks as i only have a few games. The backlit keyboard is actually pretty useful. Nothing beets openin g an Apple product, honestly, even if its just headphones(i,m not really a fan of these buds but they should do for a few weeks until i can get to future shop) or an iPod dock.

BTW dose anyine know if its possible to remove the keys and cleen under the PB keyboard

To be a bit off topic by adding the scrolling feture to the trackpad, it becomes a hell of a lot more easy to use.