Newton II rumor (emphasis on the rumor)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
One of the boards that I checkout a lot has a guy claiming to have insider information.

His name is Insider.

This is totally unverifiable by me, I'm just passing this rumor along.

It may be utter nonsense. Also, I know everyone could go out and find some nut who claims the same thing but if you search the dealchat-mac forums for this guys name, he claims to have info only on this particular product and is otherwise a legitimate poster on all things mac. Either way, get out your salt lick.

Specs quoted from <a href="http://www.dealchat.com/mac"; target="_blank">http://www.dealchat.com/mac</a>;

Processor: 150Mhz Arm 9326MX processor (100Mhz version also) with built in bus controllers

Color LCD Controller capable of 640x480 @ 16k colors

USB Controller 1.1 Compliant

DMA IDE Bus controller (including MMC SM and CF)

128kSRAM (for acceleration)

32-bit processr

Voltage Needed 1.8 volts (60% of the current Palm Arm Processors)

256 pin chip

1.27 mm high

27 x27 mm wide

(My edit: I guess he means chip size-dimensions here)

Current Status: Motorola Developed Processor under Secure ND. (meaning you need to have a Non disclosure agreement(NDA) signed before you can see the specifics.

Another interesting note is that sampling to the customers (with NDA) began December and heavy production began Jan 2002 (next few weeks).... (information from internal NDA PDF)

You might also note that Damon Mouw and his Unix --&gt; Arm Project has been bought into a company (he will not say where of course)

This doesn't say anything about apple but does hint towards towards the same internal rumors heard before the ipod release.

Discuss.

MSKR

<a href="http://www.dealchat.com/mac"; target="_blank">Deal Chat Mac discussion </a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39

Anything like that?

I seriously believe a tablet or a PDA will be released in the near future and will be capable of things current PDAs are not.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I wish we had something to call it other than "Newton 2" - I doubt Apple would ever revive the Newton name.

-S
  • Reply 3 of 39
    iPad is a sucky name.

Newton 2 is OK, but unlikely.

iNewton sounds lame.

Hmm... I can't really think of anything spectacular...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I always liked the name Isaac.

But it also make me think of the bartender on the loveboat instead of Sir isaac Newton.

How about Almata or Elstar, two varieties of Apples much like Pippin and Spartan.

MSKR

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>I wish we had something to call it other than "Newton 2" - I doubt Apple would ever revive the Newton name.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I don't see that happening either. Scully came up with the PDA idea and it was his "Apple" that came up with the Newton name.

Job's "Apple" would probably call it "i" something and claim its not a PDA.

Remember Jobs comments about consumers not wanting and "internet junior" experience? I think whatever it will be, it will be a full fledged computer or capable of doing what a normal computer can do..if you take my meaning.

Like those iPaqs....they're color, look like they're running a full version of windows and even have all the office apps. Its more like a mini computer then a PDA. Take that concept, use OS X and the dock, put it on a much bigger screen (tablet I guess) and you've got what I'm thinking.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>

I seriously believe a tablet or a PDA will be released in the near future and will be capable of things current PDAs are not.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like what???
  • Reply 7 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    rumor is wrong or not about an apple product.

Apple would use a G3 if they were to do a tablet or newton
  • Reply 7 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Processor: 150Mhz Arm 9326MX processor (100Mhz version also) with built in bus controllers<hr></blockquote>

Why would they use a slower processor than the ones they last used in the Newton 2100?

Sorry, smells like BS to me.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Like what???</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's for Apple to figure out.

I don't know anything, I'm just spoutin' my thoughts.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>

That's for Apple to figure out.

I don't know anything, I'm just spoutin' my thoughts. </strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Like what???</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to see a PDA capable of running a ViaVoice app equivalent.

I'd love to take voice notation that get's stored as MP3's. (Beat peckiing on chiclets or scribbling in Crappiti I mean Graffiti.)

Also, add an airport card and a 5GB drive and you'd have a useful device. A deal for only $799

MSKR
  • Reply 11 of 39
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    [quote] Why would they use a slower processor than the ones they last used in the Newton 2100? - Fran<hr></blockquote>

Exactly.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: kcmac ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Phill Schiller said that apple would not be releasing a PDA ages ago, and when the iPod came out, Steve Jobs said that PDAs were not that useful - why would he say stuff like that if Apple had a PDA in the works. If this rumour is true, then I dont think the final product will be a PDA at all, no matter how much some people would like to see one...
  • Reply 13 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by mortigi tempo:

<strong>Phill Schiller said that apple would not be releasing a PDA ages ago, and when the iPod came out, Steve Jobs said that PDAs were not that useful - why would he say stuff like that if Apple had a PDA in the works. If this rumour is true, then I dont think the final product will be a PDA at all, no matter how much some people would like to see one...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm telling you, Apple has something in the works... Maybe not a PDA but they have to have something going on... Lets face it the call for Apple to do a PDA has been high ever since the newton was axed and the Palm took centerstage.. All the while Steve and Company has been telling us "sorry not interested" but then it comes out that Steve tried to buy Palm from 3COM. Why would he do that if PDA's 'sucked'.

Then Apple turnes around and makes a $400 MP3 player?!?!?!?! (I even purchased one and I do like it) But, I'm pretty sure Apple would have sold a TON more PDA's then the would have sold $400 portable music players.

Now look at the specs of the iPOD:

CPU - <a href="http://www.armltd.co.uk/armtech/ARM7TDMI?OpenDocument"; target="_blank">ARM 7TDMI</a>

RAM - 32MB

HD - 5GB

IO - Firewire / Stereo

BAT - 10 Hour

LCD - B&W Non Touch-screen

All you'd need to do is change that LCD from a non-touchscreen to a touchscreen and you have a pretty damn powerful PDA!

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Why would they use a slower processor than the ones they last used in the Newton 2100?

Sorry, smells like BS to me. </strong><hr></blockquote>

True!

<a href="http://www.theapplemuseum.com/products/pda/newton_2000/mp_2000.html"; target="_blank">Newton 2100 specs</a>

Personally, I just don't expect Apple to release a new PDA. The first was a major failure (costed Apple some cool $500 million) and I don't think Apple is willing to risk it again. I also agree with mortigi tempo. Why would Steve Jobs call PDAs useless and at the same time produce one? That would not be too clever PR!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    My guess is that a possible reason that Apple is pooh-pooh-ing the "PDA" idea is in order to introduce a "revolutionary" new device (sometime in the future), much as the iPod was a revolutionary and innovative music device.

They want to redefine the PDA market, much as the iPod has (in my opinion) radically raised the bar in the MP3 player market (and thus "revolutionized" in Apple-PR-RDF-speak). The issue is how to raise the bar over the WinCE devices which have many capabilities that Apple will have to include while maintaining a small footprint.

Apple has to make something that is beyond mini-windows device capabilities, and with which they can not compete easily-unless they use the "whole widget" spin, as they have successfully with the iPod.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 16 of 39
    There are issues other than raw speed when choosing an embedded processor -- heat, power consumption, I/O capabilities, cost, etc. If Apple were building something more like the iPod than the Newton they might not require the fastest processor available. And it wouldn't run Mac software so it doesn't need to be a PowerPC.

Apple has said they aren't doing a PDA, but they did the iPod and are talking up the "digital hub" notion. Palm's sales are in the crapper, and nobody is having much PDA fun -- why would Apple jump into an arena they already bailed on and which is floundering? I don't think a traditional PDA is in the cards. They want devices which will convince people to buy Macs that can act as digital hubs for the other cool toys they sell.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>rumor is wrong or not about an apple product.

Apple would use a G3 if they were to do a tablet or newton</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'm not sure about that. but they would definately use firewire instead of usb.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Why would they use a slower processor than the ones they last used in the Newton 2100? Sorry, smells like BS to me. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Fran441,

Were you out sick from school on the day Principal Jobs gave the Mhz Myth lecture?

Just kiddin... but has anyone tried to read the specs of the Arm 9326MX chip? Oh it is VERY interesting... Here is a link to the ARM cpu's read the chip specs and then let me know what you think...

<a href="http://www.arm.com/arm/cpus?OpenDocument"; target="_blank">http://www.arm.com/arm/cpus?OpenDocument</a>;

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

Fran441,

Were you out sick from school on the day Principal Jobs gave the Mhz Myth lecture?

Just kiddin... but has anyone tried to read the specs of the Arm 9326MX chip? Oh it is VERY interesting... Here is a link to the ARM cpu's read the chip specs and then let me know what you think...

<a href="http://www.arm.com/arm/cpus?OpenDocument"; target="_blank">http://www.arm.com/arm/cpus?OpenDocument</a>;

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Arm 9326MX isn't listed anywhere on that site. Is that what's "VERY interesting"?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

The Arm 9326MX isn't listed anywhere on that site. Is that what's "VERY interesting"?</strong><hr></blockquote>

HeeHeeHee yup... a non-existant CPU for a non-existant PDA they go PERFECT together! Oh and Damon Mouw as quoted in the first post seems to fit too... Since he doesn't exist either! :eek:

Now Eric Mouw does exist and does stuff with ARM and Unix but it would seem "Damon Mouw" (his little brother I'd have to assume) is just a used Newton salesman in Southern Calf.

Dave