Diebold

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At it again. I can't believe how much of a scandal this company and its actions are. And they keep at it. Suing students etc. It's as important as Cheney's meeting or Halliburton's overcharging boo-boo.

Linkage:

Slashdot coverage:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/12/20...tid=126&tid=99

http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,61637,00.html

What really gets me is that 5 convicted felons are in management positions!

http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,61640,00.html

Does anyone here think this company, which has an auditable trail for EVERY other device they make for banks, colleges, etc, except for their voting machine, should be allowed to make a closed-source voting machine for America? Should voting machines be allowed to be closed-source? I can't see a reason for it. This is an important issue. They contribute to the GOP by coincidence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    In all honesty, I'd be happy if anyone in the government that supports this company gets the death penalty.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

In all honesty, I'd be happy if anyone in the government that supports this company gets the death penalty.

That's kinda harsh isn't it?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That's kinda harsh isn't it?

Not when you consider what's at stake.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm always very skeptical when people who are in positions of power refuse to allow complete transparency in their actions. What would they lose by allowing it?

It's like the gov't saying if you have nothing to hide from them, you have nothing to fear from increased scrutiny resulting from some draconian practice or other. Hypocrisy if I've ever heard it.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    "Those who cast the votes decide nothing.

Those who count the votes decide everything."

....Stalin

With this kind of "voting" system, and the absence of accountability that goes with it, we may as well wave goodbye to our version of democracy in America. Those who have the power will be the private companies who own the voting systems, and the political party that is supported by these companies.

With DREs the way they are being introduced, the true decisions of the people will never be known. Our political representation will cease to exist. Scarily, most aren't concerned because the subject is currently taboo as regards the mainstream media, or if they do take notice, many will (predictably as the sunrise) write off any dissent as the rantings of conspiracy mongers.

Is democracy about to fail as a political institution, to be replaced by privately-owned corporate rule? Is this the general direction that BushCorp is taking the USA, with the rest of the industrial world slowly falling into line? The most effective and subtle way to get this ball rolling is to take control of the electoral process by cheating, with no recourse to examine the way the cheating is happening, because the software that is controlling public elections is privately owned.

http://www.verifiedvoting.org/

Support HR2239

Doesnt anyone else (who isn't a BushCorp supporter) see any problems here?:
  • Reply 6 of 44
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Perhaps it's already happened?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The more we digitize the voting process, the grater the probability becomes that that process will be tampered with. It's horribly unfortunate. Just wait until the day there is a major election and a virus strikes that invalidates the entire process. It will happen eventually...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

[B]Doesnt anyone else (who isn't a BushCorp supporter) see any problems here?:

Does that mean that Bush supporters aren't allowed to speak up if they see a potential problem here as well? Or that if you support Bush you support this kind of crap?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Not when you consider what's at stake.

What's at stake? They'll get saddam again?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Does that mean that Bush supporters aren't allowed to speak up if they see a potential problem here as well? Or that if you support Bush you support this kind of crap?

BushCorp /= Bush.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

What's at stake? They'll get saddam again?

They'll win Georgia again.

You're not really this stupid, are you?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

The more we digitize the voting process, the grater the probability becomes that that process will be tampered with. It's horribly unfortunate. Just wait until the day there is a major election and a virus strikes that invalidates the entire process. It will happen eventually...

I don't agree with that at all. Daley Sr in Chicago had all the mechanical voting machines rigged up. Technology is not the problem. It's already happened and were all still here.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

They'll win Georgia again.

You're not really this stupid, are you?

Is that a bad thing?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't agree with that at all. Daley Sr in Chicago had all the mechanical voting machines rigged up. Technology is not the problem. It's already happened and were all still here.

Southern Illinois is just as corrupt in favor of the Republicans. Just ask Nixon. Oh wait, he's dead.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Is that a bad thing?

I hate to say it, but I think you are that stupid.

If the machines were rigged, then yes, that is a bad thing.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Wow SammiJo, I'll bet you've never been accused of being open-minded - if I support one candidate it means that I'm not in vehement support of the integrity of the American voting system. It's crap postings like that from you that negate your ability to engage some of us in even-handed discussions with you.

I'm personally affected by any potential inadequacies in the current electronic voting system. I want to ensure that our most powerful right remains true and unsullied. Just because I vote differently than you shouldn't mean we don't share the same concerns.

Grow up.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    make your voice heard go to EFF

and send this letter to your senator. or write a real one of your own.

Dear Senator,

I am a constituent who cares deeply about security and trust in elections, and I urge you to cosponsor the Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2003 (S.1980). As touchscreen voting (e-voting) technology is adopted across America, it's absolutely vital that these new systems meet basic standards of accountability and openness. I am particularly concerned that many systems do not use openly reviewed software and cannot provide a voter verifiable paper audit trail. Unless a paper record is generated by publicly reviewed software, verified by the voter and retained for potential recounts, I believe that this technology is unacceptable for use in our elections.

The public should be allowed to review the software that runs these machines in order to confirm that they act in the way that the manufacturer claims. Right now, however, the leading technologies are not only proprietary, they are covered by trade secret claims. This kind of closed source, or "black box," software lacks sufficient quality assurance. In fact, two recent analyses of one company's software revealed gaping security holes that could be exploited by anyone from a technically proficient insider to an average voter with a few dollars worth of technology in his or her pocket. This underscores how important open source software is for our elections. S.1980 would require voting machines to use publicly reviewed software.

S.1980 would also mandate voter verifiable paper audit trails for all e-voting machines, a prerequisite for accountability and accuracy. The 2000 presidential election was a painful lesson in the failings of current voting technology, but at least there was a back-up system that allowed a manual recount when evidence emerged that the regular voting process was flawed. Without a paper audit trail, a compromised e-voting system could not provide even the cold comfort of Florida's manual recount. Luckily, adding this protection to the machines is not hard and does not have to add a significant amount to the cost of each unit.

S.1980's House companion - H.R.2239 - already has 94 cosponsors. Major newspapers like the New York Times and Los Angeles Times have endorsed the principles that I've mentioned above. As a constituent, I strongly urge you to cosponsor S.1980 and ensure that all new e-voting machines provide a voter-verifiable paper audit trail and use publicly reviewed software. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

make your voice heard outside these forums, this has no provision for capitol punishment (sorry bunge) but you could add it.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Southern Illinois is just as corrupt in favor of the Republicans. Just ask Nixon. Oh wait, he's dead.

Corrupt republicans in illinois? Never
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Corrupt republicans in illinois? Never

it was quite a week last week, saddam and george ryan being brought to justice.

it's too bad we can't indict every one who voted for ryan when it was abundantly clear he was a dirty corrupt secretary of state.

unindicted coconspirators i suppose.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Those are the least of Ryan's crimes.