Apple Trade-Up Program for PowerBooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From today's Macintouch:

Quote:

A MacInTouch reader reports an Apple PowerBook G4 upgrade program, running through March 27, 2004, said to offer a credit to original PowerBook G4 owners in the U.S. on an upgrade to the current 15" or 17" PowerBook G4 models. Customers should contact Apple at 800-275-2273 for details. (PowerBooks that have been damaged are not eligible.)

Is this true? Anyone have any details?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Seems fishy, Apple's never offered this sort of program before as far as I know. And what does it mean by "original" PowerBook G4 owners? Any TiBook owner? Original (400-500 MHz) TiBook owners?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    on the phone now:

there is an upgrade program.

anything pre DVI (G4) is eligable.

offering $700 credit towards a purchase of a 15" of 17" G4. NOT as 12".

wasn't able to verify whether or not that was on top of education pricing, although that's likely. i needed a qualifying serial number first.

so there's the poop. early G4 powerbook owners rejoice!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Yes it has been confirmed with Apple now:

If you call in with a 400, 500, 550 or 667 Mhz TiBook, they will give you

$700 credit towards a new 15" or 17" AiBook. Call 800-275-2273 and speak to a tech to get more details.

Between now and March 27, 2004, Apple is offering owners of the original

PowerBook G4 and the PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) the opportunity to

trade in qualifying products for a $700 credit toward the purchase of

current models of the PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800) and PowerBook G4 (17-

inch).
  • Reply 4 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm. Seems like a mediocre deal unless you have one of the 400 or 500 MHz Rage 128 models. The 550 and 667 MHz ones are certainly worth more than that (although you do get more convenience this way).

I wonder what this means for the PowerBook line... trying to get a bunch of people to upgrade now instead of waiting? Maybe it'll be a long time before there's another PowerBook update - but if people upgrade now they won't care as much.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    G5 PowerBooks in April! WOOHOO!!!

• Reply 6 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My angry Pismo (see signature below) is even angrier. \
  • Reply 7 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, curious that Pismos weren't included considering that they are basically the same as the original TiBooks...

I was really considering selling my 667 DVI for around a grand to get a new book...

maybe now I'll try and find a deal with an old Ti...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i wonder if there isn't perhaps something wrong with them long-term. Apple could just be doing this to try and avoid costly AppleCare claims, or class action claims.

for users with the 400Mhz model, this is a decent deal.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Tempting...hmmmmm. I'll have to consider that.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Does this apply worldwide or just US?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

on the phone now:

there is an upgrade program.

anything pre DVI (G4) is eligable.

offering $700 credit towards a purchase of a 15" of 17" G4. NOT as 12".

wasn't able to verify whether or not that was on top of education pricing, although that's likely. i needed a qualifying serial number first.

so there's the poop. early G4 powerbook owners rejoice!

For us Aussies, that $700 credit should round out to $2500, going on their current way of calculating the exchange rate. Yippeeee!!

...ummm, actually the real offer will be something less generous I'm sure.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    the apple store in chicago (michigan avenue) says its a rumor.

haven't had a chance to call the number listed above yet...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i wonder if there isn't perhaps something wrong with them long-term. Apple could just be doing this to try and avoid costly AppleCare claims, or class action claims.

for users with the 400Mhz model, this is a decent deal.

considering they are willing to accept "cosmetic defects" on the machines I'd take a guess this is their effort to cover their asses on the peeling paint issue. it has struck my G4/667 Powerbook very badly but my powerbook is worth more than 700 bucks and i dont have another 1300 to throw in for a new one anyways
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I talked to an Apple rep and he said no PB G5's anytime soon.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yeah, apparently apple is giving this a try, and makes perfect sense on their part. think about it...

1.) they get parts necessary to repair incoming old 'books

2.) they can get the older hardware off the market so there's less of it to support

3.) they effectively KILL the upgrade market (well, there isn't an upgrade market, really, for p'books, but if this program is successful, they may extend it to all models)

4.) they get more money from their user base by giving them that extra nudge to upgrade to a new model (rather than the headache of trying to do it piecemeal).

in fact, i don't know why they never thought to do this in the first place.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

I talked to an Apple rep and he said no PB G5's anytime soon.

We usually know more things than them
  • Reply 17 of 29
    FWIW, I confirmed the program, BUT my TiBook is NOT eligible for the upgrade program apparantly because I got thru a university with the educational discount.

The tech said that might change, and that I should call back in "a few weeks."

• Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Seems fishy, Apple's never offered this sort of program before as far as I know. And what does it mean by "original" PowerBook G4 owners? Any TiBook owner? Original (400-500 MHz) TiBook owners?

Back in the day, Apple offered $500 towards a new PowerBook for anyone who would turn in their 5300CE. I did it then and, as the proud owner of a Ti400, I'm probably going to do it again. Apple's marketing/promotions department apparently has my PB purchasing motivations all figured out.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    For those of you that may have taken advantage of the program ... how does the data transfer work?

Sounds like they expect you to send the machine back before you get the new one ... do you transfer your files to some temporary storage before the new one comes?

It would obviously be better if you had both machines for some period of time to use firewire target mode, but it sounds like this isn't how the program works. Can anyone confirm/deny?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Seems fishy, Apple's never offered this sort of program before as far as I know.

They did have a similar program a few years back in Europe. Up to US$300 on your old Mac if you bought a new Power Mac, I think.