Copy Protected CDs...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

crazychester is right. The copy protection is put in place specifically to block the "fair use" duplication rights. Like it or not, you're probably breaking the law.

I'm not sure you're correct. Blocking the "fair use" is illegal, circumventing for "fair use" is not.

Regardless, I won't buy a CD with copy protection.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    I recently bought the new Missy Elliot cd for my wife. Didn't realise that it was copy protected until I got home. As it was the first time that I had bought a copy protected disc; I decided to see what would happen when I tried to rip to itunes, wouldn't you know it, itunes ripped the disc without any problems. Hmmm...I've got a 12" powerbook with a uj-815 drive. I recently upgraded the drives firmware with the Cynikal hack to make it region free. Wonder if this screws up the copy protection.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

What happens if you go into iTunes prefs and tell it not to start up when a CD is inserted? Does the CD mount? Can you open the disc and see the AIFF tracks inside? I'd try copying those to my HD and then importing them into iTunes.

Before I found iTunes, that's what I'd actually do to copy music. I'd (PC) "Explore" the CD drive that had the CD, and all the songs would show up (with the exception of one)

Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I won't buy them either, as 80% of my listening to music is done in iTunes, and I don't want to have to switch CDs around. I would say that you should be able to get the songs on the iTMS, but you're not in the US, so that's rough dude.

What does not being in the US have to do with not dl'ing from iTMS?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

What does not being in the US have to do with not dl'ing from iTMS?

I'm thinkin' this has gotta be a trick question. (You have to have a credit card with a US address to purchase music from iTMS).
  • Reply 25 of 35
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Copy protected CDs. It is folly. m.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Well, I successfully imported the CD, and it seems, without any audio loss.

Me happy, (although disappointed I had to go to such lengths)...

I seem to more proud that I got around their "protection", so I can use my humble iPod to listen to the music I purchased.

As a final note, this music isn't going to anyone but myself, as guilt catches up with me as I have previously noted. m.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

[B]Workaround

Good ol' technology at my service.

If you have an audio line-in ort on your computer, and a CD player of some sort with audio line-out, (or just a plug adaptor that goes to audio line-in/out), simply link it up, and use a piece of software to record it.

I have a registered copy of Sound Studio that I got with my iMac, so no probs here. Anyway, $15 or whatever it is is a pretty good price for this outstanding piece of software.

Now I just have to adjust the input so 'loud' sounds aren't clipped, (ie: so I don't get distortion).

Even better, if you have a G5 and a Mini-Disc Recorder: Use an optical cable to do the recording, since you won't have a loss of quality.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Well, I successfully imported the CD, and it seems, without any audio loss.

Me happy, (although disappointed I had to go to such lengths)...

I seem to more proud that I got around their "protection", so I can use my humble iPod to listen to the music I purchased.

As a final note, this music isn't going to anyone but myself, as guilt catches up with me as I have previously noted. m.

OK. So seeing as you've chosen to ignore the honest opinion of quite a few people, and as you're so concerned about the "artists", how about at least taking the time to read these two articles:

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

http://www.janisian.com/article-fallout.html

Yes they're long but I'm sure you'll have more than enough time to get through them while you're importing your next Copy Protected CD.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

OK. So seeing as you've chosen to ignore the honest opinion of quite a few people, and as you're so concerned about the "artists", how about at least taking the time to read these two articles:

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

http://www.janisian.com/article-fallout.html

Yes they're long but I'm sure you'll have more than enough time to get through them while you're importing your next Copy Protected CD.

Not long ago I as reading a thread created and replied to by my peers at university. The thread was: "Why Pirate?".

Almost every single response was saying that they use P2P services to listen to music ? try before you buy.

I know the try before you buy thing works, because I have 'succumbed' to it. On a well known artist's website, there was a Flash animation which was playing a select couple of songs from the artist's new album. Because of that sample, I now have the album.

These faceless corporations need to embrace the change that is happening, or they will cease to be. File sharing isn't going anywhere, at least for the foreseeable future, (and beyond, I think)... m. 8)
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Not long ago I as reading a thread created and replied to by my peers at university. The thread was: "Why Pirate?".

Almost every single response was saying that they use P2P services to listen to music ? try before you buy.

I know the try before you buy thing works, because I have 'succumbed' to it. On a well known artist's website, there was a Flash animation which was playing a select couple of songs from the artist's new album. Because of that sample, I now have the album.

These faceless corporations need to embrace the change that is happening, or they will cease to be. File sharing isn't going anywhere, at least for the foreseeable future, (and beyond, I think)... m. 8)

I give up. This is a lost cause.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Even Steve Jobs thinks the recording industry is doomed.

Quote:

When is Apple going to start signing musicians - in effect, become a record label?

Well, it would be very easy for us to sign up a musician. It would be very hard for us to sign up a young musician that was successful. Because that's what the record companies do. Their value is in picking that 1 out of 5,000. We don't do that.

We think there's a lot of structural changes that are probably gonna happen in the record industry, though. We've talked to a large number of artists that really don't like their record company, and I was curious about that. And the general reason they don't like the record company is because they think they've been really successful, but they've only earned a little bit of money.

They feel they've been ripped off.

They feel. But then, again, the music companies aren't making a lot of money right now ... so where's the money going? Is it inefficiency? Is somebody going to Argentina with suitcases full of hundred-dollar bills? What's going on?

And it turns out, after talking to a lot of people, this is my conclusion. A young artist gets signed, and they get a big advance -- a million dollars, or more. And the theory is that the record company will earn back that advance as the artist is successful.

Except that even though they're really good at picking, still, only one or two out of the ten that they pick is successful. And so, for most of the artists, they never earn back that advance -- so they're out that money. Well, who pays for the ones that are the losers?

Kid Rock.

The winners pay. The winners are paying for the losers, and the winners are not seeing rewards commensurate with their success. And so they get upset. So what's the remedy? The remedy is to stop paying advances. The remedy is to go to a gross-revenues deal and to tell an artist: We'll give you 20 cents on every dollar we get ... but we're not gonna give you an advance.

The accounting will be simple: We're gonna pay you not on profits -- we're gonna pay you off revenues. It's very simple: The more successful you are, the more you'll earn. But if you're not successful, you will not earn a dime. We'll go ahead and risk some marketing money on you, and we'll be out. But if you're not successful, you'll make no money -- but if you are, you'll make a lot more. That's the way out. That's the way the rest of the world works.

So you see the recording industry moving in that direction?

No. I said: I think that's the remedy. Will the patient swallow the medicine is another question.

See the full interview at http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2529
  • Reply 33 of 35
    With no irony whatsoever, I think you should change the question:

Should record companies be allowed to mislead the public by placing the Compact Disc Audio logo on discs which do not comply with the CD-DA specification?

For some reason, record companies feel that - if they don't put the logo on the liner notes or the disc - they're not misleading the public, but with the UK version of 'Life for Rent' (Dido, BMG) the logo - missing in every way - is still on the actual tray.

I believe that record companies should be forced legally to differentiate these crippled disks by clearly wrapping them in a sleeve that clearly states that 'whilst the disc contained within is physically similar to a Compact Disc, it does not comply with the CD Audio specification; as a result, it may not play in all CD Audio devices and playback capabilities will be severely limited in other CD compatible playback devices including - but not limited to - computer CD drives.'

Let's see how many discs they sell when the consumer is completely aware of what they are purchasing; it's either that or a class-action suit.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    another idea.....

if you have the latest version of itunes, go to preferences and check "use error correction when reading audio CD's". you'll find it under the IMPORT prefs.

this feature is specifically there to deal with certain forms of copy protection that put errors in the cd header. it may take a bit longer to rip, but it may solve your problem.

cheers!

koffedrnkr
  • Reply 35 of 35
    My wife has a number of so-called 'copy controlled' CDs. All are labelled as 'copy controlled' (albeit sometimes in small writing on the back), and none carry the traditional CD Audio logo.

The industry could not be accused of false advertising about this unless you consider the CD form factor sufficiently ubiquitous to require a specific (large print) disclaimer everytime a disc is released that is not CD Audio (e.g. a CD-ROM).

I is also unfortunate in Australia that we have no fair use rights because there can be no (legal) justification in refusing to purchase copy protected discs, or in petitioning the industry to release normal CDs.

I have heard that Macs can sometimes (probably depending on the drive in the machine) import these discs in iTunes. I don't have a Mac yet. My Windows PC can often not play the discs at all. iTunes can't import them. Even low level ripping software like Exact Audio Copy and Easy CDDA Extractor have been unsuccessful resulting in hard lockups.

I can play some discs (like Missy Elliott) using the player application included on the disc, but that tells me that it is only playing at 48kbps. Even then, the player uses a huge proportion of my processor time.

I don't understand why a cheap CD player will play these discs, but my expensive computer will freeze in the attempt. Why can't the disc simply be read bit by bit. I would be happy just being able to make a direct back-up to play in the car and protect the expensive original.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.