can't seem to connect to networked printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
here's the layout. My mac connected via Ethernet (through hub) to my wife's mac. Printer connected to her machine via USB. My Print utility doesn't find any networked printers in Rendezvous, IP, Appletalk, or any of the other options.

I've checked for Appletalk on the wife's machine, it's running as is file and printer sharing. Before attempting to add the printer I ensured it was powered up. I connected to her machine via connect to server.

I've installed the drivers for the Epson 780 Photo Stylus on my machine.

I am a little lost here... Can someone gimme a hand?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    What version of the OS(es) are each Mac running?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

What version of the OS(es) are each Mac running?

both 10.2.8
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Check to see if the firewall is turned on, or if you have any firewall software other than what is built into the OS on. If not, message back.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Check to see if the firewall is turned on, or if you have any firewall software other than what is built into the OS on. If not, message back.

both firewalls are off
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Open print center, then go to prefrences..make sure that show printers connected to other computers is checked...on both Macs. Let me know.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Open print center, then go to prefrences..make sure that show printers connected to other computers is checked...on both Macs. Let me know.

yes, it's checked on both
  • Reply 7 of 27
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    in the sharing pref pane are you sure that your wife's computer is sharing the printer?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

in the sharing pref pane are you sure that your wife's computer is sharing the printer?

yes
  • Reply 9 of 27
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    can you print from your wife's computer?

if you can and there are still problems...

take a look at this: http://www.fixamac.net/software/pcr/ (Does not work in 10.3... use the PSR instead)
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Unless I am mistaken...you need to install the drivers on your Mac too. I did a test here at the office with our new epson and once I installed the driver on the Macs that did not have it connected directly via USB. Then you add printer and viola!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

can you print from your wife's computer?

indeed I can
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Unless I am mistaken...you need to install the drivers on your Mac too. I did a test here at the office with our new epson and once I installed the driver on the Macs that did not have it connected directly via USB. Then you add printer and viola!

I did that too
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Well, damn...let me do a bit more looking. That worked here at the office. It has been along time since we bought a new printer..and we were having the same problem, until I installed the driver on the other computers. Weird. Hopefully I will find an answer for you soon.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Well, damn...let me do a bit more looking. That worked here at the office. It has been along time since we bought a new printer..and we were having the same problem, until I installed the driver on the other computers. Weird. Hopefully I will find an answer for you soon.

Thanks tommy_thompson
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Printing from X or 9(classic) Let me know if this helps:

For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients

When both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X computers (in addition to the one sharing the printer) need to print, then there are additional considerations.

You will get the most predictable behavior if you avoid sharing the printer to Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients at the same time. Stop Mac OS X Printer Sharing before starting Classic USB Printer Sharing, and vice versa.

To share for Mac OS 9, you would use the same steps as in Scenario I, above.

Important: If you do start both printer sharing services at the same time, the printer may or may not work as expected. This depends on what make and model of printer you have and which versions of the printer drivers are in use. You may experience variations on any of these behaviors, which should be considered normal, since the printer and its drivers may not have been designed to allow this configuration:

* The printer may intermittently become unavailable to either the Classic or Mac OS X sharing service, particularly when the other service is printing.

* The printer may be available to either Classic or Mac OS X, but never both at the same time.

* The printer may not be available to anyone.

If this happens, stop both printer sharing services. Start each separately, and test to see if you can print when just one service is active.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Printing from X or 9(classic) Let me know if this helps:

For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients

When both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X computers (in addition to the one sharing the printer) need to print, then there are additional considerations.

You will get the most predictable behavior if you avoid sharing the printer to Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X clients at the same time. Stop Mac OS X Printer Sharing before starting Classic USB Printer Sharing, and vice versa.

To share for Mac OS 9, you would use the same steps as in Scenario I, above.

Important: If you do start both printer sharing services at the same time, the printer may or may not work as expected. This depends on what make and model of printer you have and which versions of the printer drivers are in use. You may experience variations on any of these behaviors, which should be considered normal, since the printer and its drivers may not have been designed to allow this configuration:

* The printer may intermittently become unavailable to either the Classic or Mac OS X sharing service, particularly when the other service is printing.

* The printer may be available to either Classic or Mac OS X, but never both at the same time.

* The printer may not be available to anyone.

If this happens, stop both printer sharing services. Start each separately, and test to see if you can print when just one service is active.

We are both running OSX only at the moment, so it's not an OS 9/10 conflict.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Apple says it will work here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

But let me know if the previous helped. If not I will keep looking.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Apple says it will work here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

But let me know if the previous helped. If not I will keep looking.

I gotta finish christmas shopping so I can't stay around more an another 40 minutes or so... but that list didnt' offer anything other than confirmation that my printer should work without issue. Was there a link or something I should have seen but didn't?

I am completely baffled now...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    No, what I was saying was that yes, it *should* work according to apple, and I am still looking for a soulution. I have a buddy of mine that does Mac hardware/software support. He's the whiz, I am just waiting for him to call me back. He too is busy doing Xmas shopping stuff. Hopefully hear from him soon.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

No, what I was saying was that yes, it *should* work according to apple, and I am still looking for a soulution. I have a buddy of mine that does Mac hardware/software support. He's the whiz, I am just waiting for him to call me back. He too is busy doing Xmas shopping stuff. Hopefully hear from him soon.

Oh, I gotcha... If I came off as harsh, I didn't mean to. Thanks for all the help