website that sells clamshell ibooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My brother likes the look of the old clamshell ibooks... so I was wondering if there were any sites that sell used clamshell ibooks at reasonable prices?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

My brother likes the look of the old clamshell ibooks... so I was wondering if there were any sites that sell used clamshell ibooks at reasonable prices?

I'd say probably ebay Keep in mind that at 800x600 (right that is them?) they are basically useless with OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dang... they can't support OSX? well off to the trashcan goes that idea
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yeah, OS X would not be a happy experience on the old iBook.

I gave my sister my Tangerine iBook a couple of years ago.

It's kinda pokey at 300Mhz.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    They support OS X, they just aren't fast or very usable running Mac OS X.

Key Lime is the greatest colour ever infused into plastic.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I have a blueberry iBook 300 running Panther here with max out 544MB of RAM. No problem at all although the screen is now in pink. I am still using it as a software base station due to my Airport Extreme blows on my FW800.

Still figuring it out where to get a new 12" screen at a decent price.

If you are interesting and like to mess around.. PM me.

• Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

dang... they can't support OSX? well off to the trashcan goes that idea

I have an old clamshell, tangerine, 300mhz, 160 megs ram. and it works fine at 800x600, just make dock disappear and you should be fine. just dont use imovie
  • Reply 7 of 22
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    ^^^

That's ironic, seeing as they were marketed as the perfect iMovie laptop...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

^^^

That's ironic, seeing as they were marketed as the perfect iMovie laptop...

no, the clamshell ibooks were NOT marketed as the perfect Imovie laptop. If they were show us some marketing materials..

• Reply 9 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Kenneth I am interesting...And interested, although I really want a Key Lime and I scoured eBay. My sister is OBSESSED with them. She really likes the color green. Walking in to her room, which is painted almost the same color, is almost blinding.8)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

no, the clamshell ibooks were NOT marketed as the perfect Imovie laptop. If they were show us some marketing materials..

Apple Unveils New iBook Line

Quote:

APPLE EXPO PARIS?September 13, 2000?Apple® today introduced a new iBook? line featuring FireWire® ports and iMovie? 2, the world?s most popular and easy-to-use digital video editing software, and all new colors. The iBook now comes in Indigo and the iBook Special Edition, which now includes a DVD-ROM drive for watching DVD movies on the go, comes in Graphite. Both models also come in the season?s hottest new color, Key Lime, available exclusively from Apple?s Online Store (www.apple.com).

?iBook has been a big hit with consumers, students and educators, and the addition of portable digital video editing with FireWire and iMovie 2 makes it even better,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?Anyone can now own a portable movie studio for just $1,499.?

OK, the words "perfect iMovie laptop" aren't in there, but they might as well be.

• Reply 11 of 22
    my iBook (466 - SE) works just finw with Panther (noticeably faster than Jag).

It also works fine with iMovie (though you need version 2 ... version 3 won't run at 800x600)... Sure it doesn't render as quickly as a G5, but it works fine for basic home videos.

--- Final Cut Express also runs on it ... though that is just too much for me.

In any case ... how much do you wish to spend ? this one could be for sale ...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Is that Key Lime? They all have 66mhz busses right?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Are you sure, Aquatic?

I still have all the manual, restore, and CD (Mac OS 9), and the iBook box.

I bought the new battery from Apple during the Summer of 2003.. so the battery is almost new. The downside, pink screen and the optical drive door somehow refuses to close.. [require a tape to close it] Otherwise, it is perfectly fine.

Current spec;

Blueberry color.

300Mhz PPC 750L (copper)

544MB of RAM (32mb on board and 512MB add-on)

stock 3.2GB of storage.

56k modem, Ethernet, audio out and USB 1.1 port.

Apple Airport card. (Good Airport reception)

Good keyboard, no missing keys.

Running Mac OS X 10.3.1.

Next to the clamshell is the iBook 800Mhz (32MB VRAM)
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Hmm, now which one would I choose...? Hmm.....
  • Reply 15 of 22
    If you were a little girl, that is... Always keep the target market in mind! I say they should come back with mini colored 12" iBook clamshells. Girls eat 'em up like Loius Vuittons. Look at what my gf has done to me.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Apple Unveils New iBook Line

OK, the words "perfect iMovie laptop" aren't in there, but they might as well be.

but thats not the original clamshell! so

LONG LIVE TANGERINE!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    My brother has a Blueberry clamshell @ 300mhz and 128 mb of ram. Panther is barely useable. He is upgrading the ram, but this computer is past its prime. And, the 6 gb hd is almost full just from Panther. I want to drop a new one in there. Is the HD change on these as difficult as the dual USB iBooks?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My iMac 266 runs okay with panther. It does have 320 MB of ram and a 7200 RPM drive though. The notebooks are running at what? 4200 RPM. Even my powerbook 12" hurts sometimes with that drive.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

My brother has a Blueberry clamshell @ 300mhz and 128 mb of ram. Panther is barely useable. He is upgrading the ram, but this computer is past its prime. And, the 6 gb hd is almost full just from Panther. I want to drop a new one in there. Is the HD change on these as difficult as the dual USB iBooks?

I believe so! I want to upgrade my clamshell to at least a 30GB HD (3.2GB currently...around 1GB left after a clean install of Panther)

There is a link for the process;

How to replace the iBook hard drive

Just make sure you get the 9.5mm tall hard drive.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...but the screens are 800x600.

...even windows is annoying at that res, let alone OS X!