Best TV Show?

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, I was wondering, what do you guys think is the best tv show on right now? Drama, comedy, reality, whatever it doesn't matter.

Me, I've got to throw my vote to South Park. It is the perfect combination of dick and fart humor, political satire, and funny ass songs. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a close second.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Simpsons, South Park, and soon to be Family Guy again (I'm so excited this is coming back). I know that all you wanted was one show, but I gave you three, deal with it.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    the bonnie hunt show, but they moved it to friday night this year.

it's mostly improv, which for a sit-com is kind of dicey.

but i think she's a genius.

and you have to say the simpsons, that show is just taken for granted to be there and be funny. consistent for over ten years, it's a television landmark.

i watch west wing too.

but those are the only three i actively make plans to watch.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Simpsons or South Park. And Daily Show. The only other must see show for me is Enterprise because I'm still a sci-fi dork.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Daily Show is top billing.

i really did enjoy the Battlestar Galactica mini series though.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    i guess i do watch daily show pretty much nightly, it keeps one sane these days.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    simpsons. wouth park is coool too but havent seen it in years. just saw 3 episodes of simpsons though...
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Daily show because it's constantly new, then South Park.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    All you Daily Show fans should move to NYC. I go see it live at least twice a month.

But I have to say that the Simpsons suck now. I used to be the biggest fan, but the current shows are just crap. The new writers grew up watching it so the characters have become caricatures of what they used to be. Not only that, but the new episodes have no plot anymore. The show up to the first commercial break has nothing to do with what happens after the break and nothing to do with what happens after the second break. I'm sorry to say that I can't watch the Simpsons anymore in their current form.

BUT everything up to about when Maud Flanders died was pure genius.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    The Daily Show and NOW with Bill Moyers.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

All you Daily Show fans should move to NYC. I go see it live at least twice a month.

But I have to say that the Simpsons suck now. I used to be the biggest fan, but the current shows are just crap. The new writers grew up watching it so the characters have become caricatures of what they used to be. Not only that, but the new episodes have no plot anymore. The show up to the first commercial break has nothing to do with what happens after the break and nothing to do with what happens after the second break. I'm sorry to say that I can't watch the Simpsons anymore in their current form.

BUT everything up to about when Maud Flanders died was pure genius.

You got that right.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    My favorite show is a toss up between 24 and The Shield.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I don't like any show on tv right now. They all suck. Simpsons is pretty good. Conan O'Brien is the best late night show. But overall, american tv is a bit of an embarrassment right now.

And it doesn't seem to be on a path to improvement.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    I have to agree with Applenut. TV really does suck. There are some pretty good mini-series that come on sometimes and TLC and the Discovery channel usually have something I can watch, but all the sitcoms SUCK now. And forget about reality TV.

Thank god for Comedy Central and DVD players.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I have to agree with Applenut. TV really does suck. There are some pretty good mini-series that come on sometimes and TLC and the Discovery channel usually have something I can watch, but all the sitcoms SUCK now. And forget about reality TV.

Thank god for Comedy Central and DVD players.

I find myself watching Seinfeld reruns more often than anything else. And now we have Tivo at home so i basically just record all those and my brother is into the X-Files so I've watched some of that recently but X-Files seems to have just followed the same template for every episode. kind of gets played after a while.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    I'm just pissed that I pay for 100 channels but only watch 4.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    The Simpsons. because even though it isn't as wonderous as it once was, it is still head and shoulders above everything else. it's by far my favorite show. tds is great, south park is ok. i liked the west wing better when Sorkin, the shroomin psychodel, wrote em. l&o: the old years is good on cable, and the new ones are pretty good too (tho the spinoffs just don't do it for me). but let me reiterate: favorite=simpsons.

"My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom."

-Kodos
  • Reply 17 of 64
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I have some friends who are working on a show called "BAM" on MTV. Has anybody seen it yet? I'd like to know what it's all about.

Meanwhile, here's my list of (mostly) safe bets:

Frontline

Almost always fascinates me. Good solid reporting, any biases you perceive from this program expose your own biases.

NOVA

I love science. Scientists are my heroes. This show is fantastic.

Law & Order

The show could last forever.

CSI

It should run at least as long as Quincy ME was on.

Sunday Morning

Tune into CBS on Sunday morning. If you have to go to church then record it...very satisfying programming.

Political Shows

For the 2004 race this will be hard to avoid.

Stargate

I don't have cable, so I see this in reruns and possibly out of order. Still, I enjoy the stories.

Now for my surprise entry:

Smallville

I've watched this 2 or 3 times since it's been on TV, never really won me over BUT I saw an episode of this show last week that intrigued me because it looks like they're beginning to feather the show over toward Metropolis; toward Clark's destiny as a superhero. Plus, Lex Luthor is beginning to learn he can't trust people, making him a much more interesting villain because he's being shaped into one by circumstances beyond his control...he's not a wooden bad guy straight out of the bad guy handbook - he's a fascinating anti-hero.

(and I'm on the record as a die-hard fan of twirling toward freedom)
  • Reply 18 of 64
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Most of my favorites are on cable.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is very funny.

Stargate SG1

Six feet Under but I'm afraid it may have jumped the shark.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is a must.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    • Scrubs

• Simpsons

• Family Guy

• Seinfield

• Malcolm in the Middle

• Reply 20 of 64
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I have some friends who are working on a show called "BAM" on MTV. Has anybody seen it yet? I'd like to know what it's all about.

If it's Viva La Bam, then its a Jackass spin of with one of the guys from the show. He's taken the shit that he did to his parents and turned it into a half hour show.

Oh, how could I forget Da Ali G Show and Chapelle Show?