Clean install of 10.3 big speed difference

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

I think the faster HD speeds up everything significantly, especially in OSX

and especially going from what was probably a 4200 RPM drive.

yeah, it was the drive. the drive is a major bottleneck.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Then why the fsck does apple bottleneck their already bottlenecked machines with a slow drive??????? I mean wtf are they thinking?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    He was talking of a laptop. Unless you already have your fuel tank with you, batter life matters.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    not that i've tried it, but can't you get a good speed increase by optimizing the sys.?

-walloo.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Optimizing how? Apple compiles for a CPU target of G4 (I've heard), does prebinding after any major update, has built in HD defragging that puts the most-accessed files on the fastest part of the HD, etc. That's pretty optimal, IMHO.

As to the original poster, the faster drive is probably 97% responsible for the speed improvements.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I upgraded the hard drive in my old 500 Ti from the 4200 to a 5400 and the speed difference was very noticible, the heat was also greater. I tend to only do a clean install when I am transferring a machine to someone else. The only time things slow down is with iPhoto first launching. But over 3000 photos and13 gig of space being used will do that.

reg