How much faster?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Well. after watching ebay for weeks it appears there is a huge market for older G4s. I actually prefer the older models because I don't like the CD doors on the quicksilver(no place to eject disk), no input for digital LCD without an adapter, louder, no microphone input, no DVD, no zip(don't laugh-I love my zip drive).

I just won a G4 400 mhz with 384 mb ram, 20 Gb hard drive, DVD, Zip, AGP, all in its original box for $810. I think I did well considering all the ones I previously bid on went for over $900.

This will keep me happy for a few years at least. I didn't want the new iMac and didn't have $1600 to spend on a new tower. Can't wait to try it!...........</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congrats, but I think that machine is overpriced.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Aren't there some edu deals on 733s right now?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I thought it might be overpriced too, but that seems to be the market for them from what I observed. I wish Apple would take note and finally offer a $999 tower. I would have bought one.

I think the appeal might be that they still have the DVD in them. I wanted DVD. I am still having anxiety attacks over whether I did the right thing, but once I have it I think I will be happy.

One thing though. The owner wants $65 to ship it UPS from St. Louis to NY. Insurance is an extra $8. Doesn't that seem high to you? I thought it should cost no more than $40 to ship considering its already boxed up in its own box.....................
  • Reply 24 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>

One thing though. The owner wants $65 to ship it UPS from St. Louis to NY. Insurance is an extra $8. Doesn't that seem high to you? I thought it should cost no more than $40 to ship considering its already boxed up in its own box.....................</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes it is very overpriced. You can go to the UPS website and get an estimate yourself. I would say it should be no more than $20
  • Reply 25 of 27
    He agreed to lower ship price to $40 including insurance so i went for it. I'm going to buy the HP 920 printer for $99 to go with it. I'm getting excited!

Now I have to sell my trusty old PM 8100..............
  • Reply 26 of 27
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I would buy the bottom end MODERN PowerMac, you're not behgind the times when you buy it and you're not spending large amounts of money on the processor. Buy a Dual Gigahertz and ypou pay $1500 for the two processor, a waste of the money in my estimation, when that can go toward something that you can put into your next computer like a nice monitor.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I was almost going to spring $1300 for the 733, but i didn't want to go further into debt and I really think the 400 G4 will be loads faster than my 100 mhz 601 chip with 4 mb Vram. At least it had better be!.............................................