The Obligatory Eagles Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright. I admit it. I'm impressed and cowed at the Eagles' turnaround. You may recall my "The Eagles are Joke: Fire Any Reid" thread. I have to admit, they really turned it around. I stand corrected.

So, with Westbrook possibly out, I wonder. They seem much more fired up than last year at this time. They have a bye week, home field advantage, etc. Man if they win it all...I'll be in shock. It would certainly be a story. When the offense hits, they're unstoppable. when it doesn't, they are painful to watch. McNabb was so impressive on Saturday...and I was never his biggest fan. Some of those passes (and receptions) were Montana-esque.

But the real question is could they beat a team like New England. They're on total fire and have the best record in the NFL. At this point, from a Philly persepctive, I could see this:

NFC Championship: Rams Vs. Eagles. With the way they're playing...I'd have to go with my boys.

AFC Championship: NE Vs. KC. I'd probably go with NE...but that's in serious doubt.

So for the Big One, I could see Philly Vs. NE. That would be a game. I'd love to see the Eagles pull it out...just to see Center City burn to the ground in celebration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    hey there ARE still people who live in philadelphia [mumbles] its just that they havent had the chance to leave [/mumbles] but hey there are still people who live there. you dont want to anger a (diminishing) population by wishing they were all homeless, there are enough of the real type there.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Just a prediction. It will all burn.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    one wish can you lead the mob to society hill first....
  • Reply 4 of 39
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Hahahaha who are you Michael Wilbon?? No way Center city burns to the ground if the Iggles win the Bowl....

Nobody's be in Center City during that game anyways...

If anything, you'll just have a repeat of the New Years Parade only this time, EVERYONE would be drunk...

And anyway, most of the real fans, from South Philly, South Jersey and the NE, would be too scared to come into the City anyway...

Of course, this is all assuming the Birds win it all...I've been through Game 6 1993, The Lindros-less finals, LA v Philly 2000 not to mention 1980 when I sat up praying I wouldn't have to go to school the next day...1983 was also another kick in the head...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

And anyway, most of the real fans, from South Philly, South Jersey and the NE, would be too scared to come into the City anyway...

Nah, a lot of fans will pack into Chickie's and Pete's like they do every weekend. I bet people will even show up at the Link and tailgate just for the hell of it

But I'm sure glad I live in the 'Burbs. If I stand on my roof I'd get a good shot of One Liberty Place smoking.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I kinda like Hotel California, but I've heard it just too many times now. It's one of those classics that they just won't put to rest. I also like New Kid in Town, or whatever it's called, but I can see that that's less time-resistant.

Don't really see why it'd be obligatory to discuss this now, but I'm happy to comply.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I dowannna hear it...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I recall telling you not to throw last year's Coach of the Year under the bus so quickly.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Der Kopf beat me to it!

The only obligatory Eagles thread should be the one that's about Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Glen Frey. All other Eagles threads -- while they may be useful -- are clearly non-obligatory. Even the Flyers are more obligatory than the Eagles (despite pishing away a two goal lead against the Stars last night... great game though).

• Reply 10 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Seriously, how can any of you get excited about the NFL?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

With the Giants and Jets, I can see how you feel that way.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

With the Giants and Jets, I can see how you feel that way.

• Reply 13 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

It's definitely not as exciting as it used to be, with fickle fans, meddling/stupid owners, no dynasties, me-me-me sophomore players like the ones on the Raiders. 7-8 coaches have been fired already, and more are on the way.

The NFL is the professional sports league for the ADHD generation.

God I hate Dr. John York
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It's definitely not as exciting as it used to be, with fickle fans, meddling/stupid owners, no dynasties, me-me-me sophomore players like the ones on the Raiders. 7-8 coaches have been fired already, and more are on the way.

The NFL is the professional sports league for the ADHD generation.

God I hate Dr. John York

I have to agree with you. It's all business now...even more so now than ever.

I also resent the amount of money we as a nation spend on sports. It's funny...Philadephia has its schools in private takeover, yet it can finance like $900 million in stadium construction. Seems pretty outrageous to me.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    As if to prove my point, the Flyers beat the crap out of St. Louis last night. Five PPG... unreal. I'm already eagerly awaiting a Philly - Toronto series in the playoffs whereby they destroy one another so that they can lose in the EC Final / Cup Final.

• Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I have to agree with you. It's all business now...even more so now than ever.

I also resent the amount of money we as a nation spend on sports. It's funny...Philadephia has its schools in private takeover, yet it can finance like $900 million in stadium construction. Seems pretty outrageous to me.

Absolutely. Hate corporate sports as a whole anyway.

I only get excited for a Philly team when...

1. The Eagles are ahead by 7 points in a Super Bowl...and there is 3 seconds left on the clock.

2. The Phillies are ahead in the final game of the World Series...bottom of the ninth...no balls, 2 strikes and two outs...

3. The Flyers are ahead in the finals...last period...three seconds...ahead by two.

4. Sixers...same as #1 or #3...

It's too much torture to follow Philly teams to the end...they usually crumble or fumble...

• Reply 17 of 39
    I dunno. I think the Flyers are legit this year. If they stay healthy and play Hitch's system during the playoffs, they're going to be a brutal opponent. You know who I noticed the other day wasn't Pitkannen but Jonsson. Man that guy can skate / move with the puck in his own zone. And he can score to boot. Aside from the goalie, Philly is just stacked from top to bottom the way Colorado is (almost).

If this Esche kid pans out for the rest of the year, who knows... sky's the limit. And this coming from a Pittsburgh fan. You orange and black bastards!

• Reply 18 of 39
    No, I'm not just bumping the thread, so call off the dogs, smithers.

Going to see the NFC Championship today at a local, liquor serving establishment (Iron Hill in Media, PA). I am an Eagles fan, but as you know from my "Fire Andy Reid" thread, I'm realistic if not pessimistic.

That being said...I am predicting a win as I did last week. They look ready to roll. The Panthers seem nervous, and I think the weather is going to be an issue for them. In addition, S. Davis isn't playing. After last week, I think the Eagles are really ready.

Eagles 24-10. Then they'll lose 35-7 in the big one. hahahaha.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think it depends on how well the Panthers contain McNabb. The Eagles have a strong tendency to execute poorly for most of the game and then win "ugly" at the last minute thanks to McNabb's ability to improvise. Too bad he can't get it together the rest of the time. With Westbrook out, the Eagles are totally dependent on him.

The Panthers on the other hand are almost the Eagles' mirror image. They execute well for most of the game then make it close in the end by their own mistakes. It's probably not worth watching anything but the last quarter.

I predict: Panthers 14, Eagles 13.

[edit: I just realized that I gave the Panthers 2 touchdowns, when they score touchdowns once in a blue moon. My revised final score: Panthers 16, Eagles 13. ]

And, yes, either the Pats or the Colts will win the Superbowl. Big. I predict the Pats will win because they have a better defense. They will get 2 stops (or more), and Indy's D can't stop the Pats offense 2 times in turn. Remember when the AFC was the conference for futility?

As for the Flyers, that little goaltender situation is not little at all. Bobby Clarke still doesn't understand what it takes to get to the Cup. It's like he forgets he played with Jacque Plante.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    It's 7-3 Panthers at halftime...As usual, those Fox announcers are giving the Panthers props. If it were Parcell's Cowboys losing at the half they'd be praising The Tuns up the whazoo nad digging for ways for them to win...

The pressure is unbearable. As as true Philly fan I can only expect the worst so that it won't be as painful when they lose...How much longer can a city with FOUR major sports teams go without a champinoship???

Oh and how bout those Fox announcers wit htheir carolina blue jackets? hmmm...i wonder sho they're rooting for?? Hahahahahahaha....