Travel Digital Photography Tips...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I think in those 3 sample photos you've provided, a higher f-stop would have been better... F6-7 or even higher. Makes it easier on the AF when in aperture priority mode too.

Like the first pic of the female duck...the snow is actually what's most in focus instead of the duck. And I don't think it's stylistically beneficial to keep the ducks in the background out of focus.

I shot those in RAW and tried bumping up the f-stop all the way- 9 and it looked overexposed. I think the female duck is f7.1 and the others are like f6-7 so...

Anyway- I'm just learning about it. I happy with the results so far. This was my first time out with it actually. I'm off to the autoshow on Monday to shoot some more.

thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I tried downloading the JPEG to see the EXIF data, but there weren't any. How far away were you away from the ducks (what lens did you use?) Assuming you used the 18-55mm which came with the camera, F7 should have been plenty at full telephot, making the ducks in the background just ever so slightly blurred.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Ken Rockwell has a pretty good recent article discussing the advantages of compression formats...I don't know how big those RAW images are, but usually JPEGs work more than adequately. Interesting shots--and coincidentally of similar material to what I shot first when I got my DCS 620!

• Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Anyway- I'm just learning about it. I happy with the results so far. This was my first time out with it actually. I'm off to the autoshow on Monday to shoot some more.

thanks for the advice.

tacojohn,

Glad to hear you like the camera . Keep playing with it, that's the best way to learn how it works. I see from your web site that you may be taking it to the Detroit Auto Show - I'd love to see some images of the shiny new cars there .

You probably mentioned it already, but what lens (or lenses) did you get with it?

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Yep- I'm really enjoying it. I've used my friends Nikon N90 films based camera, but there is nothing like using a digital slr and being able to take as many shots as you want- not having to worrie about film costs!

Yep- I have the kit lens (18-55mm EF-S). Its pretty good- I just wish it were a little faster. It works fine for now- I'm planning on getting the 50mm f2.8 sometime in the near future (before I go on my big trip).

I'll post an actual gallery of the autoshow so you guys can see!

peace.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Why does everyone take pictures of birds?
  • Reply 47 of 47

Considering software which would be more handy, faster and can substitute photoshop to some point try macphun.com photo editing software - I use it on the go - mainly all necessary features are at your hand. By the way their software can also function as plug in to photoshop.

Talking about hardware I would focus on apple mac book pro 13 inch - definitely good choice for trips and office + I would make sure to get some external hard drives by seagate - those already proved to be steady. Take those to make sure you keep your data backed up and safe. For sure get some external batteries - my advice is to get power banks at amazon.com and also get one portable solar charger too to be able to power all wherever you go!