Best Movie of 2003

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got back from seeing Anthony Minghella's latest masterpiece Cold Mountain and it made me wonder. 2003 has been an amazing year for movies. Action, drama, comedy, kids, almost all of them had multiple stand outs this year. However if I was on the Academy and got a vote I would cast it for American Splendor. It was by far the best movie of the year and Paul Giamatti's performance was the most Oscar® worthy. Kill Bill would also get a nomination, as would Cold Mountain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Kill Bill.

One of the two volumes should get honorable mention and come in second place.

• Reply 2 of 52
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Mystic River.

by far.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    The Lord of the Rings... or Finding Nemo... they're so good
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Gigli
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I thought The Last Samurai was good, but not great. I loved LOTR. Has to be the best of '03.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Return of the King
  • Reply 7 of 52
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    wasn't american splendor, like, 17 hours long? (okay, i'm exaggerating, but not by much)

don't forget this was a year for some very disappointing movies too. daredevil, hulk, and matrix revolutions all come to mind (though i didn't mind hulk THAT much...)

hmmm... daredevil, gigli and the j.lo wedding... maybe ben needs to take a year or two (or ten) off.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I think Gigli was the BEST movie ever made...I mean EVER! ok i'm lying out of my ass. it is quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

Hmmm...best movie? That is a tough one. There were a few really good movies this year. That's as hard question to answer. I think Kill Bill was a great movie, as was Finding Nemo. Those would probably be at the top of my list.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Return of the king. it'l at elast win best sound editing and visual effects, but it deserves to win it all. the whole trilogy is a triumph of acting, visual effects, music, and story.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Return of the king. it'l at elast win best sound editing and visual effects, but it deserves to win it all. the whole trilogy is a triumph of acting, visual effects, music, and story.

C'mon, LoTR was good, very good, but best film of the year? There were some movies that made the LoTR look like the Hulk.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

C'mon, LoTR was good, very good, but best film of the year? There were some movies that made the LoTR look like the Hulk.

and Kill Bill would be one of these...?? whatre u smokin over there?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

and Kill Bill would be one of these...?? whatre u smokin over there?

The good stuff
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

The good stuff

it's too bad Star Wars Ep. 1 and 2 werent in 2003, or theyd actually be nominated too...
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

it's too bad Star Wars Ep. 1 and 2 werent in 2003, or theyd actually be nominated too...

What's your deal? There were better movies the LoTR. Cold Mountain was a masterpiece as was Mystic River. LoTR was good and I'm sure will win Best Picture at the Oscars® because the ratings for the telecast have been down, but that doesn't mean it was the best film, not by far.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

What's your deal? There were better movies the LoTR. Cold Mountain was a masterpiece as was Mystic River. LoTR was good and I'm sure will win Best Picture at the Oscars® because the ratings for the telecast have been down, but that doesn't mean it was the best film, not by far.

you're funny.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

you're funny.

See, something we can agree on
  • Reply 17 of 52
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

I think Gigli was the BEST movie ever made...I mean EVER! ok i'm lying out of my ass. it is quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

Hmmm... I haven't seen Gigli, but I find it hard to believe it could be worse than The Towering Inferno, which I had the displeasure of watching.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Finding Nemo and LOTR: ROTK were both excellent. Kill Bill Vol. 1 was... entertaining.

The best film I've seen this year is Master and Commander, Russell Crowe antics and all. For the 2+ hours it was up on the screen, I lived on that ship.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

Finding Nemo and LOTR: ROTK were both excellent. Kill Bill Vol. 1 was... entertaining.

The best film I've seen this year is Master and Commander, Russell Crowe antics and all. For the 2+ hours it was up on the screen, I lived on that ship.

i think i have to agree with this entire post.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Kill Bill was schlock. Entertaining, sure, but it's schlock, kitschy crap ~10 years out of date.

Without question it is Return of the King.

I know I know, Mystic River, Cold Mountain, Lost in Translation, all excellent movies.

But these are apples to RotK's orange. Return of the King is an event, it's a movie on the Titanic-scale and it is actually a very good movie.

If there's a movie you want to go see again, it's RotK.

It's the best of 2003.

And no, this was not an "amazing" year for movies, not by any stretch. This has been a fairly bad year for movies.