Y?all Have A Real Good Time In New Orleans!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Another soft, left coast team just got lucky again against those hearty Midwesterners. Must have been a fluke, i guess. Another national championship for the University of Spoiled Children.

So you big time football studs from Oklahoma and Louisiana State have a real good time in your Big Consolation Soiree game in New orleans. Try the crow gumbo. I hear it?s tasty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    um, i'm no lsu fan, having graduated from tulane, but what the heck are you talking about? just about anyone with two brain cells realizes that the whole bcs fiasco has kicked into high gear, and the only hope the bcs had for saving face was michigan to beat usc handedly.

pity for all three teams, since any team that walks away with the "national championship" this year won't be taken seriously.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I just hope that when we learn to play real football way out here in the Pac 10, we can maybe play in that BS championship game. You know the one I mean.

Where computer nerds use unknown, subjective criteria to determine relative strength of schedule. Where LSU's 3 games against the Lousiana Little Sisters of Mary count more than Pac 10 conference games. I guess Michigan and Texas will agree that us softie Pac 10 teams don't belong in that real BS championship mix.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

I just hope that when we learn to play real football way out here in the Pac 10, we can maybe play in that BS championship game. You know the one I mean.

Where computer nerds use unknown, subjective criteria to determine relative strength of schedule. Where LSU's 3 games against the Lousiana Little Sisters of Mary count more than Pac 10 conference games. I guess Michigan and Texas will agree that us softie Pac 10 teams don't belong in that real BS championship mix.

i guess we should all feel sorry for you. buck up son. yes it does suck that one of three very good teams was going to get "screwed" at the end of the year, but all you had to do was not lose to cal, and you'd be in the big game and you wouldn't be in this mess would you?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    When Nebraska made the NC game after not playing in the BigXII championship game, Bob Stoops whined that no one should play for the NC who hadn't won their conference.

OU sucks. I hope the Sooners get raped again. They won't, but I hope they do.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Losing a triple overtime game to Cal, a bowl team, was a tough thing. Almost as bad as that blowout by KState in the big 12 championship. Refresh my memory. What exactly did Oklahoma win?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Losing a triple overtime game to Cal, a bowl team, was a tough thing. Almost as bad as that blowout by KState in the big 12 championship. Refresh my memory. What exactly did Oklahoma win?

waaaaah. it's funny how all you bitches where saying all year long how OU is and was the most dominating team in college football and even if the did lose to k-state that they should still go to the big game. remind me again, who playing in nola and who's not.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'd say the Pac-10 did okay for itself.

Cal over VATech

Washington State over Texas

USC over Michigan

Not bad at all.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    running:

Being the most dominant team is contingent on not being ass****ed by an underdog in your last game.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

running:

Being the most dominant team is contingent on not being ass****ed by an underdog in your last game.

struggling and getting beat beat by a marginal opponent is ok? the system sucks. i admit it. one team was going to be hosed. it happened to be usc. i'm sure i'd be pissed if it happened to us as i'm sure lsu fans would feel the same if it happened to them. but you can't convince me any one of those teams deserved to be there more than we do. it's not like the ap and coaches polls have ever been wrong before. i mean they did place texas at number 5.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

running:

what about losing to a HUGE underdog midway through the season?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    hehehe, as posted by ray rotto at espn.com (um, sorry, MSN.espn.GO.com... whatEVER):

Quote:

...The Associated Press poll, voted on by sportswriters, remains the gold standard for in-your-underwear voting, because of three indisputable truths:
    • Sportswriters are inherently brighter, kinder and just all-around better people.

• A sportswriter's poll is not actually filled out by a sports information director.

• Enough sportswriters vote in the AP poll to spread the bias relatively evenly.

But the other polls need work. Well, actually, they need large-scale replacing.

And while you all know why the other polls have their flaws, we can name the polls the BCS ought to use to legitimize their inherent illegitimacy.

THE WEEKLY WORLD NEWS TOP 25: It would replace The New York Times poll, which keeps trying to slip Notre Dame past us when it thinks we're not watching. The WWN poll, on the other hand, does not blindly use a computer to make its news, but staff writers who live under porches and look increasingly like Gollum the longer they work there. The advantage is that schools who recruit aliens, 375-pound babies, three-headed nuns and linebackers made entirely of cheese will finally become part of the process, a badly needed act of both inclusion and diversity. Problem: Neptune A&M and Louisiana-Ninth Circle Of Hell are Division 1-AA schools.

THE "QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY" TOP 25: In which the Fab Five -- Sneezy, Blitzen, Jeckle, Nostradamus and Shemp, or whatever the hell they're called -- will vote weekly on the teams with the best uniforms, dreadlocks, cornrows, tats and use of eye-black. Problem: Miami's orange and green color scheme essentially eliminates them in August, while teams willing to dress in mauves and taupes will have inherent advantages.

STEPHEN HAWKING'S MASTER LIST: Look, you want a super-bright bookworm, get the best. The man wrote coherently about time and space, so how hard is it to separate Kansas and Kansas State? Problem: Oxford and MIT could sneak into the poll the way Notre Dame does in the Times' poll.

THE DEGENERATE GAMBLERS TOP 25: Replacing the coaches, who have other things on their minds, the gamblers pay attention every day to every team because, well, because they have to. Problem: Rutgers covered each of the first nine weeks, which would put them in the BCS title game, and America just isn't ready for that yet.

THE SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTORS TOP 25: Why take away the one bit of fun they have every week? Problem: Some SIDs are just too busy and will delegate their vote to the head coach.

LEE CORSO NAKED, STANDING ON THE ROOF OF A 7-11 AND SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS TOP 25: A devoted follower of the game who knows what he sees. Problem: Convincing him to vote only once a week.

THE "LAW & ORDER: SVU" TOP 25: In which Benson, Stabler, Munch and Tutuola vote each week on the teams who use crime-scene-tape yellow as one of the school colors. Problem: Too many schools to pay attention to at one time.

THE HALFTIME SHOW PARTICIPANTS TOP 25: Just to see if Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson could identify 25 schools. Problem: The days spent waiting for them to get to 25.

THE SOUTHERN LIVING TOP 25: As every available school races toward the Cuba end of the map trying to get into the ACC, natives who know that Saturday isn't just for NASCAR 200-mile prelims will be conscientious and serious voters. Problem: Washington State, Boise State and The Not Really Miami areso screwed.

THE VIEW TOP 25 POLL: Gotta be cute, gotta be buff, gotta have a movie to promote to get the panel interested. Problem: Barbara Walters is likely to vote every week for Oklahoma A&M, even if it is now known as Oklahoma State.

THE NBC POLL: Notre Dame is No. 1 every week as you might figure, so being No. 2 means a lot more than it did even this year. Problem: Notre Dame will also be Nos. 2, 3, 5, 7 and 12.

And finally ...

THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION TOP 25: In which professors across the country vote on the teams whose athletes attend class, turn in assignments, achieve good grades, and are all-around swell folks. Problem: What are you, high?

• Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

what about losing to a HUGE underdog midway through the season?

You're underrating your own team. Cal is definitely better than their record suggests, and since there was nary a senior on that squad, they should only get better next year.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

You're underrating your own team. Cal is definitely better than their record suggests, and since there was nary a senior on that squad, they should only get better next year.

better than Kansas State?

not even close. Oklahoma lost to a top ranked team. USC lost to an unranked team
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

better than Kansas State?

not even close. Oklahoma lost to a top ranked team. USC lost to an unranked team

On the whole USC was supposed to have the strength of schedule advantage. Losing by three points to an unranked team or getting your ass smacked by a ranked team. One is closer to a win than the other, IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's time for a NCAA style single game elimination, winner takes all, college football playoff, think of the TV revenue possibilities. If they work it out right, a team would only have to play an extra 4-6 games per season, more revenue, an awesome climax, and no more bickering!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

It's time for a NCAA style single game elimination, winner takes all, college football playoff, think of the TV revenue possibilities. If they work it out right, a team would only have to play an extra 4-6 games per season, more revenue, an awesome climax, and no more bickering!

an extra 4-6 games is a a lot
  • Reply 17 of 42
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

And who says America ain't the new Rome?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think they play enough games that count. They play 12-13 games and mebbe a friendly or tuen up match here and there. Screw that. Cut the fat, redraw the conferences, relegate poor teams to lower divisions and balance out the tiers so that every NCAA team plays a minimum 14-16 game schedule with a couple of 3 games in two weeks stints for each team. Then it's playoff time. 32 teams, one round per week, 5 rounds, losers go home.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

I don't think they play enough games that count. They play 12-13 games and mebbe a friendly or tuen up match here and there. Screw that. Cut the fat, redraw the conferences, relegate poor teams to lower divisions and balance out the tiers so that every NCAA team plays a minimum 14-16 game schedule with a couple of 3 games in two weeks stints for each team. Then it's playoff time. 32 teams, one round per week, 5 rounds, losers go home.

two words why that won't ever, EVER happen (in the minds of both the nfl and ncaa): willis mcgahee

sorry, but there are a hell of a lot of background players with a lot of power that only want these players to showcase their stuff for 2-3 important games per year, get interest rolling, get a high draft pick, get fans in the seats to see them there and have their nfl team win in the end. if they get injured int he nfl, well, that's the game, or so the thinking goes, but if someone has their knee bend in horrific angles in college before they get a chance to play pro ball, it's a "tragedy."

willis was probably the most high-profile example on a national stage, and a result, you are already having a mass exodus of players asap from the college ranks to cash in before a knee gets blown or they get a few more years to break some nfl hall of famer's career numbers. sure, players were already doing it, but after willis' injury, players are fleeing lie rats from sinking ships (especially miami, where they're losing, i think six undergraduates to the nfl next year).

plus, you can't necessarily expect teh larger or smaller schools to always do well or poorly. just ask nbc how happy they are with the deal that had them become the "notre dame"-broadcasting-company for the foreseeable future. sure, the idea seemed great when they seemed to be in the national championship every year, but now, when their games against navy or rutgers come on tv? click...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Maybe they should rename it the"Bowl Consolation System" for the Big 12. First Nebraska gets its butt whipped by CU, then goes to "national championship" game (hello, Oregon), now Oklahoma gets stomped by K State (beated by Ohio State) and still gets to go to the "national championship"

2 questions:

1. Whose nation?

2. Whose championship?