Future Apple Tablet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I can't speak for any other "putter-downers", but I honestly don't - and never have - long for a tablet or anything of the sort from Apple, so no...I doubt I'd be cooing or drooling. I'd probably go "well that's cool...too bad is shares the fate of the G4 Cube..." and get back to my PowerBook or iMac.

You have to admit though, they have a habit of making stuff people want but don't need.

Cunning
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    True.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    2003 was the Year of the Portable. Well that's done; what will 2004 be?

The Year of the Death of the Keyboard?

The Year of Voice Input?

The Year of the Stylus?

The Year of Handwriting Recognition?

The Year of Electronic Drawing?

The Year that Graffitti Died?

The Year of the Palm Tablet?

The Year of Convergence?

The Year of Orbital Internet?

Lake Rumors is frozen solid this year, and I don't even wanna go ice skating, let alone ice fishing.....

Aries 1B

\
  • Reply 24 of 40
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    the lack of any good believable rumours is pure torture.

i cant EVER remember it being this bad.

• Reply 25 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That can only mean one thing: G6 iMac with 23" display for $899!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by geek-meet

[Bathe lack of any good believable rumours is pure torture.

i cant EVER remember it being this bad.

[/B]

Hey, this is supposed to be the FUN part of the pre-MWSF days!

Wait until after the Keynote and the traditional Utter Disappointment to show these faces.

Besides, how believable would you like your rumors to be anyway?

We serve them nice and crunchy too.

• Reply 27 of 40
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Hey, this is supposed to be the FUN part of the pre-MWSF days!

Wait until after the Keynote and the traditional Utter Disappointment to show these faces.

Besides, how believable would you like your rumors to be anyway?

We serve them nice and crunchy too.

Back in my day, every year 'bout MWSF Lead Up time, Lake Rumors was a boiling, frothing, steaming, roaring, inviting turmoil like your favorite college bar of yesteryear; the one that served pizza so good that you know you'll never taste its equal again....

Good people passionately arguing for and against their favorite New Products with a zeal that made your ears ring, your blood sing and your life outside of these now still and silent econfines a pale shadow compared to the StarTrekkian wonders that awaited the 'one last thing' that never came.

Even Kormac77, the Great Pumpkin of Future Hardware Rumors has fallen silent, providing no toys to his sincere, blanket holding followers.....

You can't go home, can you?

Aries 1B
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Apple.... tablets ? get real.

(clarifying:tablet = laptop with swivel screen with the ability to write directly onto the sccreen)

they might be experimenting with it, but it isnt going to happen anytime in the near future.

Micro-fluffy and intel hyped it up so much, and look what happened ? it flat out failed. why ?

-no purpose

-premium pricing

-didnt always work

-no one needed it

So ... Apple, i hope, will learn fro mthe free market research provided by intel and M$ and not come out with one.

Personally i not a fan of the idea or the reality of tablets. And even if Apple did release it, i wouldnt buy one.

So please quit with the tablet threads already...theyre really getting old. the 'tablet' fad has come and gone...kinda like disco music from the 70's or 80's hair bands.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    I have to go along with the naysayers on the Apple tablet thing (and tablets in general for that matter).

I just don't get tablets. I mean, yeah, I see the whole "taking notes" angle. But this seems so...well let's use a chainsaw to sharpen a pencil. I just take an ordinary notepad to meetings. Much cheaper and never crashes.

Unless Apple (and they are likely the only one's I can imagine doing this) can show me something tablet-ish that is really compelling...something I never really thought of...and is something I suddenly cannot do without...I don't see it happening.

iPhone, iCam and iBox seem MUCH more likely products (and more likely to produce revenue and profit for Apple).

Apple is much more practical than people seem to think. In fact this practicality is quite refreshing in the technology industry. They don't seem to be doing things "just because we can"...but instead are thinking about how people actually want to use products. iPod is a great example...yeah...it COULD do a bazillion things...like so many other similar products...but it doesn't. Elegant...simple...functional.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a

Apple.... tablets ? get real.

(clarifying:tablet = laptop with swivel screen with the ability to write directly onto the sccreen)

they might be experimenting with it, but it isnt going to happen anytime in the near future.

I think you're whole school of logic is wrong

Firstly, a Tablet should have no keyboard except a software one, which means HWR needs to be very good. People will moan about needing a real keyboard in which case tablets are not for them.

The MS Tablet failed for many reasons - most obviously Windows being not at all suitable for pen use. License fees also made building them expensive, plus the fact that MS designed the hardware but are a software company.

Now Apple has perfected laptop design from battery life to wireless networking to ergonomics. They have an OS that would be quite happy on a small hires portrate screen. They have a solid pen input API that is not an add-on. Then there's the fact Apple invented pen based PDAs.

I agree current tablets are not right, which is why Apple needs to show how it's done.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    So Apple will jump into the tablet market a week after M$ pulls it's software and resources out of it siting no money to be made?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

So Apple will jump into the tablet market a week after M$ pulls it's software and resources out of it siting no money to be made?

They only killed Smart Display, not Tablet.

Mind you, I can't think of a better time to enter, especially as his Jobsness is always talking of innovating out of the recession.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I think you're whole school of logic is wrong

Firstly, a Tablet should have no keyboard except a software one, which means HWR needs to be very good. People will moan about needing a real keyboard in which case tablets are not for them.

The MS Tablet failed for many reasons - most obviously Windows being not at all suitable for pen use. License fees also made building them expensive, plus the fact that MS designed the hardware but are a software company.

Now Apple has perfected laptop design from battery life to wireless networking to ergonomics. They have an OS that would be quite happy on a small hires portrate screen. They have a solid pen input API that is not an add-on. Then there's the fact Apple invented pen based PDAs.

I agree current tablets are not right, which is why Apple needs to show how it's done.

oh...well thanks for clarifying that for me, made a world of difference.

now let me clarify my view to you.

the concept of using a device as both a, portable computer and a notebook, that costs an arm and a leg, and dosent work all that well, dosent really appeal to the general public or to me.

anything wrong with that 'logic' ?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

They only killed Smart Display, not Tablet.

Mind you, I can't think of a better time to enter, especially as his Jobsness is always talking of innovating out of the recession.

What, Microsoft killed smart display idea?

Really?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

...dosent really appeal to the general public or to me.

USB didn't get its wings until Apple used it.

The public didn't realize that the floppy was dying until Apple killed it.

Many didn't think the iPod would take off the way it has.

Face it: Apple has been leading the way in the course that technology could go. Maybe there are really smart people at Apple who've seen a legitimate, amazing future for a true tablet (not a convertible notebook). Who better to send the tablet on the right track than Apple?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

USB didn't get its wings until Apple used it.

The public didn't realize that the floppy was dying until Apple killed it.

Many didn't think the iPod would take off the way it has.

Face it: Apple has been leading the way in the course that technology could go. Maybe there are really smart people at Apple who've seen a legitimate, amazing future for a true tablet (not a convertible notebook). Who better to send the tablet on the right track than Apple?

who would buy it ? factor out the early adopters and techno-phile, what purpose does a tablet serve and what market does it APPEAL to ?

i remember microfluffy and intel said home users and student first, then they went to lawyers and doctors, after that they disappeared all together. now what radical new twist could apple add to this idea ? you have a tablet, you have a pen... what more can you do with that , that M$ and intel havent already tried/done ?

Apple might put it into a preetier package and have better hand recognition, but who really wants this stuff ?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    OK,

If apple can make it recognize MY handwriting, and if that can access internet wirelessly, control Itunes playing through my home stereo, control my TV satellite etc, then i would buy it.

It has to function as all in one device for me, when i have my ass down on a sofa, i don't want to be surrounded by av remotes, laptops, etc...

Give me one device to rule them all :-)

What MS/Intel created was a monster with poor HWR which IS A KEY.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

What, Microsoft killed smart display idea?

Really?

Yup, I think they realised people don't want a dumb display.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/34669.html
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Yup, I think they realised people don't want a dumb display.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/34669.html

Heh, i wonder how many people bought one... they must be very happy

:-)
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

who would buy it ? factor out the early adopters and techno-phile, what purpose does a tablet serve and what market does it APPEAL to ?

i remember microfluffy and intel said home users and student first, then they went to lawyers and doctors, after that they disappeared all together. now what radical new twist could apple add to this idea ? you have a tablet, you have a pen... what more can you do with that , that M$ and intel havent already tried/done ?

Apple might put it into a preetier package and have better hand recognition, but who really wants this stuff ?

I know my parents would find a pen easier, they're in their 60s and mice are not intuitive.

For me a pen goes perfectly with the Apple single button philosophy but is incompatible with a system that is based on left-click here, right-click there - pens with buttons is bad and wrong.

I think of 5 people just in my family, and I'm the sole geek. As with all such things ($499 mp3 player) it depends on good marketing.