Just ordered the Canon 300D!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Thanks for the links Eugene, it's worth pointing out that although this thread is about one particular camera, which takes CF, those Ultra cards are available in SD format that read and right at 9Mb/s and I believe more SD-format cameras are able to reach that speed.

Thanks again.

I don't think it has too much to do with the cards themselves. Like I pointed out, the Ultra II and Extreme Sandisk cards performed much better in one camera over the other. The memory in both the SD and CF cards should be the same. It's the camera that makes the difference.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I don't think it has too much to do with the cards themselves. Like I pointed out, the Ultra II and Extreme Sandisk cards performed much better in one camera over the other. The memory in both the SD and CF cards should be the same. It's the camera that makes the difference.

Thanks for the link, but the conclusion of the site owner was different. He higly recommanded Ultra and extreme cards for both the rebel and the eos 10. Even if this digital camera did not take full advantage of these cards, 1,3 MB/s was much faster than the 700 K/s of the current sandisk model.

However i have decided to buy a digital rebel with a canon 17-40 L. I already own a canon 50 mm 2,5 macro zoom and a 35-105.

The eos 10 d do not worth the extra bucks, agains a rebel and his totaly behind the new EOS D1 mark 2. The plastic construction of the rebel is not an issue : i own a 13 years old EOS 10 who is in perfect shape.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The plastic is on the outside only. The core is some kind of magnesium alloy.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The plastic is on the outside only. The core is some kind of magnesium alloy.

Yes i have read that also, but according to the japonese canon site, it's iron. Canon do not emphasis this point, they fear that the EOS 300 D will cannibalise the EOS 10 D : i am afraid it's too late.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    I don't think it'll cannibalize 10D sales. There are many features in the 10D that just isn't available in the 300D.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The 10D will become the next 300D, maybe sooner than later. Well, not so much become it as the 300D, as the next 300D rev will sonn have all of the features of the 10D while the 10D replacement model get AT LEAST an 8MP sensor, but not the super duper processing speed/huge buffer of the new Mark II.

Good times.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    The consumer DSLR market is heating up. Nikon yesterday released its D70 consumer DSLR. It's more expensive ($1000 for body, $1300 with lens), but seems to be slightly more attractive than Canon's Digital Rebel/300D package.

Personally, I'm still torn between upgrading to a high-end point-and-shoot digicam like the new Coolpix 8700, and getting a DSLR like the Digital Rebel, Canon 10D, Nikon D70 or Pentax *ist D. In the meantime, a lack of disposable income is making my (non-) choice easy.

Escher
  • Reply 48 of 55
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Get the DSLR and start building up your lens collection, it will be worth it in the long run
  • Reply 49 of 55
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Thanks for the link, but the conclusion of the site owner was different. He higly recommanded Ultra and extreme cards for both the rebel and the eos 10. Even if this digital camera did not take full advantage of these cards, 1,3 MB/s was much faster than the 700 K/s of the current sandisk model.

Eh, the point was the most expensive cards show no benefit.

He specifically mentions the fact the Digital Rebel will be slow regardless of the card. He also says that the there is little difference between the speeds of the top 10 or so cards.

The Old SanDisk Ultra cards are much cheaper than the Ultra II and Extreme ones. The Transcend is also a blazing card in other cameras.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Eh, the point was the most expensive cards show no benefit.

He specifically mentions the fact the Digital Rebel will be slow regardless of the card. He also says that the there is little difference between the speeds of the top 10 or so cards.

The Old SanDisk Ultra cards are much cheaper than the Ultra II and Extreme ones. The Transcend is also a blazing card in other cameras.

Oh sorry, i misunderstood your post.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    I try to order a digital rebel : absolutely impossible to have the chance to put an hand on one in France. Many people who have ordered it in october do not recieved it.

I am going to see if i can get an EOS 10 D sooner.

Canon France ...
  • Reply 52 of 55
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I am going to see if i can get an EOS 10 D sooner.

Canon France ...

If you have the extra money, the 10D still seems to be a better camera than the 300D/Digital Rebel. So that's not a bad option.

Powerdoc: Have you thought about buying a cheap charter ticket to New York, and having a fun weekend shopping for a Digital Rebel? If you're flexible on dates, that might still be cheaper than a 10D. Une petite expedition pour faire du shopping Ã* la 'ricaine? Pourquoi pas?

Escher
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Haven't seen a 300D yet, but the 10D is so wonderful to use. My wife has the analog EOS 300, and using that after the 10D is like holding a toy. I'm using the 24-70 f2.8 L lens on it, and I actually haven't used any of our other lenses since. I can walk into town and take 100+ photos with it, just like this morning.

Too bad I still suck as a photographer, but I'm enjoying ride.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

If you have the extra money, the 10D still seems to be a better camera than the 300D/Digital Rebel. So that's not a bad option.

Powerdoc: Have you thought about buying a cheap charter ticket to New York, and having a fun weekend shopping for a Digital Rebel? If you're flexible on dates, that might still be cheaper than a 10D. Une petite expedition pour faire du shopping Ã* la 'ricaine? Pourquoi pas?

Escher

Merci Escher pour ta suggestion : mais la douane c'est pas toujours rose ...

Yes the EOS 10D seems to be a good deal, but it's also impossible to get one ... My photo retailer who is also one of my friend, is going to try again ...

For the Canon 71-40 L who is currently shipping in USA , he will not ship in france before april.

In short you pay more, and you don't have the product : viva Canon France !
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Powerdoc,

Comment Ca Va?

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this to you, but http://www.bhphotovideo.com ships around the world and is a highly regarded photo shop. I'm sure they could get you both the 10/300D and the 17-40L. Yes, they carry world models as well as the US / North America models so they should be able to get you equipment with the warranty being honorable in France.