Bush administration curtailing free speech?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Not just in America mind...they just did the same in the UK: When Bush went there in mid November, the British authorities went to an extreme extent to make sure that Bush was unaware of any protest. It must have been successful too because Laura Bush, when asked about the protests, replied something to the effect "I don't see any protesters". As it turned out, London was paralyzed that day by a huge anti-Bush (NOT anti-America btw) rally and march, the largest midweek protest in British history estimated between 125,000 (police) and 300,000 (organizers). And he (Bush) doesn't read the papers either..so he's is still probably unaware of overwhelming world opinion against his admin's doctrine.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Why weren't you guys posting when the DNC set these up around the convention?

Oh wait oh wait this is an anti-Bush thread. Time to stop thinking!

well, it bugs me that the dems are blocking in similar ways. BUT, last i checked, the dnc is not a government agency. not like the, uh, treasury department. the government has no right to inhibit my, or any other tax payer's freedom of speech. cutting off peaceable protesters defeats the whole purpose of free speech.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, it bugs me that the dems are blocking in similar ways. BUT, last i checked, the dnc is not a government agency. not like the, uh, treasury department. the government has no right to inhibit my, or any other tax payer's freedom of speech. cutting off peaceable protesters defeats the whole purpose of free speech.

You do have a point there. People often don't see the distinction between a government agency and a privately run one.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    disturbing news, but totally unsurprising from this administration

free speech only if you agree with GWB...

dissident speech != potential terrorist

how orwellian.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think it's wrong, but does anyone here actually believe it started with the GWB administration? (for presidents)
  • Reply 26 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Nick, don't be an asshole. Not that we could expect more.

It's not bullshit, and it's my understanding it was normal procedure, at least in New Jersey and probably in any comparable area where abortion clinics are the best equipped for it.

"abortion clinics are the best equipped"

You're clueless. Keep making it up when you feel like it.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Just doing a quick google search, I can't find anyone complaining about being segregated for being an anti-clinton protestor. In fact, the big thing that keeps coming up is that incident that happened in Philly where some anti-clinton protesters got punched by union members, and all indications in that case point to there being no segregation of the kind discussed here with Bush.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i think it's wrong, but does anyone here actually believe it started with the GWB administration? (for presidents)

It would be interesting to find out if and when there was a policy change. It doesn't seem like this has happened with previous presidents, but I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Well this certainly doesn't surprise me. Mr. Bush has always been a little bold in the way he treats our personal rights.

This is just one more log on the fire.

This is why I say Bush is dangerous.

Are the democrats "dangerous" when the do the exact same thing. Why not mention them. Oh wait this is a Bush bashing thread. Turn your brain off and bash away.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

"abortion clinics are the best equipped"

You're clueless. Keep making it up when you feel like it.

Well, then why are people with miscarriages told to go there? I don't know, but that was my understanding as to why she had to go there and I have been told it is not unusual.

So instead of being an asshole, if there is a reason I don't know than fill me in.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Just doing a quick google search, I can't find anyone complaining about being segregated for being an anti-clinton protestor. In fact, the big thing that keeps coming up is that incident that happened in Philly where some anti-clinton protesters got punched by union members, and all indications in that case point to there being no segregation of the kind discussed here with Bush.

Super scary smart all knowing media god giant can't find and info
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Well, then why are people with miscarriages told to go there? I don't know, but that was my understanding as to why she had to go there and I have been told it is not unusual.

So instead of being an asshole, if there is a reason I don't know than fill me in.

I'll fill you in. You're a moron and don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Whatever, fatass. Let's just hope you don't sufficate your little asian wife in bed tonight.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Are the democrats "dangerous" when the do the exact same thing. Why not mention them. Oh wait this is a Bush bashing thread. Turn your brain off and bash away.

Well at least you could provide a documented example of where Clinton had his secret service do the same thing before you can demand the outrage.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Since the democratic party convention ( if that's what you were referring to ) is not the govenment there's a distinction. Or haven't you been following?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

SCOTT IN TRUE FORM!
  • Reply 37 of 39
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Well you obviously didn't go the the Democratic Convention in Chicago. All the protesters were roped off in an area almost a half mile away from the convention center on the other side from where delegates and media came into the United Center.

It was wrong then and it is wrong now.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    So according to this pamphlet D&Cs for miscarriages are often performed in "freestanding surgery centers:"

http://www.facs.org/public_info/operation/dncmiss.pdf

according to this site they are often performed in "outpatient clinics:"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/t.../og059101.html

Is it not the case that these are often, if not always, facilities where abortions are also performed, considering how D&C is a common abortion procedure? Was this woman's case really so unique?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Too much name calling here. I am not interest to find out who started. This thread is closed.