Do colors excite you?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    as I ranted before: I'm all for colours!

they key lime thing was the coolest laptop I've ever seen.

yes cooler than the new one's, I mean aluminium? white?

that's "italian style cool",

skip the metal stuff man, that's so 90s, don't much like the sterile whites either.

the quicksilver colour is still IMHO the prettiest and styliest thing they came up with for the pro market.

and things like key lime and tangerine kicked bob too!

those were the things that made me develop a lasting crush for apple.

as for gold....... gold looks aweful on white skin (IMHO), silver would work better, then again gold does look very good on dark skin.

but i'm fed up with the metal thing, make it colourful.

but then again, my Dutch perception of cool might look a little hazy to the rest of you !

have a good one,

~ufo~
  • Reply 22 of 28
    The bottom line is that throughout history, the best designs have been created by anal idealist designers and engineers who couldn't care less about what consumers think they like. In the end, consumers like that sort of design better. Designs that have been based on consumer feedback have been miserable failures.

If Apple does choose to use color, I hope it's to articulate the vision of Apple designers rather than to appease whiners who prefer trendy gimmicks to timeless principles of good design and engineering.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    true,

good point.

none the less, the current iMac would've done a lot better if it were trendier. It's just not as hip as the crt ones.

it's a good computer, I wouldn't mind having one, smart design.

but the base looks daft, it really does, it needed a 20" tft on it to finally make a slight bit of sense proportion wise.

they can indeed do better than this.

i think the AIO is a good concept.

especially for offices, media centers at libraries an educational facilities and for peeps who want a puter in their living room but don't want to get a really big cupboard just to hide that ugly pc in.

give it a good video out and a remote control for iTunes and Quicktime and such and you have a great integration into the home entertainment system. (man i hate that term, makes me ashamed of being well off enough to afford such things)
  • Reply 24 of 28
    what about that patent for color changing hardware? that way there is only one unit to stock, but it can be whatever color/pattern the user wants and they can change it whenever they want to...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

If you want colors, buy one of those customized iPods. Different colors makes stocking difficult, drives up prices, and quite frankly, looks tacky. Ever seen racing stripes on a Rolls Royce?

Also, other manufacturers can easily copy copy colors, but they can never compete with the subtleties of an Apple product only noticed when the device is monochrome.

Worse still.

...and this too.

I can see microPods like that.

(sorry, pics are on Tripod and they have a dim view of outside linking)
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Gold almost looks orange on these iPods, BUMP>
  • Reply 27 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

The bottom line is that throughout history, the best designs have been created by anal idealist designers and engineers who couldn't care less about what consumers think they like. In the end, consumers like that sort of design better. Designs that have been based on consumer feedback have been miserable failures.

Reminds me of when Homer Simpson was the source for the design of a car... great ep.

Yup, let's face it folks, most people are clueless and, worse, tacky.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Thats the way Apple has always done things. They don't skimp out on anything. The Cube is a single mold, the thing was expensive to produce. Apple could have just as easily molded it in multiple pieces and sold it that way, but that's just not their style. (Don't bother pointing out that many Cube enclosures are now cracked, I'm on a Cube now and the crack is nothing big at all). I'm glad that Apple puts this kind of attention into their hardware and software. Makes me feel good about the computer that I'm buying.

The Cube cracks were blown out of proportion due to the cost of the computers. I have one and I have never noticed any, only the scratches my 2 year old has put into the front of the enclosure and those could be buffed out. The Cube was/is one of the "Coolest" computers ever designed with lots of "WOW" factor. Just pull the core out in front of an unsuspecting observer and watch their expression. If I had to come up with one thing I don't care for on it I would have to say that the power button is not completely practical, its too easy to put the computer to sleep by mistake with it. But then again it does ad to the "WOW" factor of the design not having any physical buttons. A work of Art, I hope that they bring them back with as few changes as possible.