New iPhoto.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Just ordered mine. I think $49 for 5 great apps is a good deal. Actually, I look at it more realistically as 2 that you are really paying for. iDVD and Garage Band. That still rocks imo.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    From Apple to Resellers - With the exception of iTunes iLife applications will NOT be available for download.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Bummer iPhoto will no longer be free.

But honestly, for me a speedy iPhoto alone is worth that $49. If iPhoto truly is now an appliance-grade digital photography suite, then charging for the application seems quite resonable.

This dual 450 should then be suitable for the rest of eternity as a digital photo manager. Granted, digital cameras are gaining resolution... but my eyes are loosing resolution.

• Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Also, iPhoto ordering in Europe come March--let the bitching come to an end!

And that statement was, what, exactly?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    I cant see enough added functionality to justify upgrading. Unless you really want garage band these "upgrades" just look like window dressing to me.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Rendevouz based iPhoto sharing means I can add photos to the media I can stream from the upstairs server to the living room media center. Effortlessly.

iDVD can now burn a full two hours of video to a DVD, instead of the prior 90 minutes. The encoder has been upgraded quite a bit.

iPhoto is no longer a slow dog.

None of this is window dressing, it's all functionality.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

From Apple to Resellers - With the exception of iTunes iLife applications will NOT be available for download.

This is the second time you've said this... care to elaborate?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Rendevouz based iPhoto sharing means I can add photos to the media I can stream from the upstairs server to the living room media center. Effortlessly.

Bluetooth enabled iFrame in the works maybe ?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

This is the second time you've said this... care to elaborate?

Exactly what it says.

iTunes will be the only iLife app still available for free download. The others will set you back $49/$29 edu.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Bluetooth enabled iFrame in the works maybe ?

That would require Rendevouz over Bluetooth... I suppose it's *possible*, but since Bluetooth already has discovery features... kinda pointless.

WiFi iFrame seems to be a bit, um, overkill. Maybe not thought. Dunno.

WiFireWire (WiWi???) is on the horizon though. That'd be interesting. FireWire networking over WiFireWire = cheap low bandwidth solution when Bluetooth's 15' range isn't enough?

Must ponder.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    When iTunes 4 first came out you could allow people to browse all or part of your iTunes library over the internet. Apple killed this feature in 4.0.1 due to copywrite issues. But as Steve pointed out, there are no similar copywrite issues with digital photography. If Apple has not made it possible to do this with iPhoto I think they should.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Does anyone know of a PHP-based or other way of viewing an iPhoto album through a web server? You *could* export to a web page, complete with thumbnails and such, but I'm looking for a way to *extract* that info on the fly.

It occurred to me that with iPhoto's new speed, smart albums, and such, you could use it as the database backend for a multi-layered and multi-faceted photo web site. Set up URLs to tap into various keywords (http://www.yoursite.org/photos/family/ would grab all the photos with the Family keyword, automatically, and create thumbnail pages, for example), and voila. A quick, clean, easy way to produce web albums without having to update them as you add new photos.

Perhaps even a way to provide a list of the keywords available? So you'd just go to http://www.yoursite.org/photos/ and that page would show the various possible pages (keywords) you could have, and then a smart album of that keyword would be presented to the user in thumbnail pages?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Kickaha,

That's a great idea, I like it!

It would probably be easier just to use MySQL / PHP to drive your site and leave iPhoto out of it. That way you can create whatever metadata fields you'd like.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Ask and ye shall receive...

myPhoto

Works with iPhoto 4 albums, so *presumably* it will work with Smart Albums as well? Anyone with *ahem* iPhoto 4 able to confirm?

Looks like exactly what I wanted - smart albums published to web on the fly, no HTML files in the way.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    check their forums... looks like it has been done....

this will be a nice addition...

he should talk to apple about licensing or bundling...
  • Reply 36 of 40
    I hope iPhoto has the "don't mess with your file structure" option like iTunes does... I have years of photography in organized folders. I hate the way iPhoto pulls them all into an indeciperable folder structure.

Anybody know about the new one or a way around this with current versions?

Charlie
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Doubtful. :/

The keywords and metadata in iPhoto are mostly stored within the iPhoto library system, which needs to maintain a certain amount of tracking on where files are, etc.

However... what *would* be slick to help migrate folks into iPhoto in your situation is a script that takes a folder structure and adds a keyword for each folder to all photos inside, where the keyword is the folder name.

So, if you had something like:

~/MyPhotos/Family/XmasVacations/2003/pic1.jpg, pic2.jpg...

Then dragging MyPhotos on would import all the pic*.jpg files in, but add 'Family' 'XmasVacations' and '2003' as keywords while it did it.

Then you can search by keywords that mirror what you had set up in the first place.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    US iLife price is $49

Canadian iLife price is $59

The Australian iLife price is $79

Once again Australia wins the award for country most being ripped off by Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    ALso, do you think they should include Safari in the iLife bundle?

I realise it is a free download, but I think it should be included anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I tried this MyPhoto thing and it works fairly well. But I still prefer letting iPhoto export an album as a crappy webpage and hosting from my computer. So I deleted it and the myPhoto site thing from my Sites folder.

Because I'm a bit neurotic I always check everything in the trash before I empty it. When I checked, I noticed that the myPhoto folder had my iPhoto library in it. When I checked my Pictures folder, my iPhoto library folder was an alias pointing to the folder in myPhoto. Which was in the trash.

Is it possible that the developer would have this happen? I know that if I hadn't check I'd have time to cancel when I noticed that I was deleting 2 GB of data from my computer. But I wasn't pleased to see my library as a tiny alias pointing to the trash.