1984-2004: 20th Anniversary Goodies

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From watching the Keynote at MWSF04, Steve was very clear: This is just the beginning of a year full of 20th Anniversary Goodies. I definitely think a new 20th Anniversary computer has to come out. What do you have in mind?

Maybe they come out with a new design, some new line of computers or a special edition of sorts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Steve was very clear that they will release a lot of products.

What did you expect him to say?

"This being our 20th anniversary we are going to sit on our butts and not release anything?"
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Did anyone else notice that the trailer for the 20 year anniversary mentions January 24th (1984) as the day that Macs were first introduced to the world??

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/1984/

So, maybe the 24th will bring some news on the (possibly) new Mac...?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    He didn't have to make the 20th anniversary remark, but he did.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

Did anyone else notice that the trailer for the 20 year anniversary mentions January 24th (1984) as the day that Macs were first introduced to the world??

I'd like to think so. Hey is that an iPod on the woman's waist on the 1984 video at Apple's website?

I'm hoping for a radical new design. Just like with the 20th Anniversary of Apple computer. Not a cube tho. Something new.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    I think the likelihood of some special 20th Anniversary products just increased with that Stevenote.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    I think we'll see the lady with the hammer (and iPod) again ~ and soon.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i got pretty hyped for the keynote with the 1984 commercial at the begining, i think this is just that....

the begining!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 47
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

I think we'll see the lady with the hammer (and iPod) again ~ and soon.

no one has any idea where that lady is!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Well, that's the same day that the second Mars rover "Opportunity" is due to land on Mars. Maybe when it lands, we'll see a new Mac product pop out of the top?

That'd be quite an advertising achievement...
  • Reply 10 of 47
    You may have to forgive me as i'm not that well up on mac specs and mac chipset history but I was looking for apple memory on Kingston.com and there is a listing for "Apple Macintosh 20th Anniversary" but it's listed as being for the "PowerPC 603e 250 MHz" so i guess that's an oldie!?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

There was also an iBook special edition listed? Not heard of that either!?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

You may have to forgive me as i'm not that well up on mac specs and mac chipset history but I was looking for apple memory on Kingston.com and there is a listing for "Apple Macintosh 20th Anniversary" but it's listed as being for the "PowerPC 603e 250 MHz" so i guess that's an oldie!?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

There was also an iBook special edition listed? Not heard of that either!?

That 20th Anniversary Machine celebrated 20 years of Apple Computer. 2004 celebrates 20 years of the Macintosh platform.

Edit: The Special Edition iBooks were in the original iBook form factor (large clamshell) and came in Indigo and some other color, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I'd like to think so. Hey is that an iPod on the woman's waist on the 1984 video at Apple's website?

I'm hoping for a radical new design. Just like with the 20th Anniversary of Apple computer. Not a cube tho. Something new.

Oh yeah. Total sphere. (Imagine little kids seeing it and trying to roll it around like a plaything )

EDIT: Yes, it's an iPod:

• Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Oh yeah. Total sphere. (Imagine little kids seeing it and trying to roll it around like a plaything )

EDIT: Yes, it's an iPod:

HOW COULD WE HAVE MISSED THAT 20 YEARS AGO!!?!?!?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

From watching the Keynote at MWSF04, Steve was very clear: This is just the beginning of a year full of 20th Anniversary Goodies. I definitely think a new 20th Anniversary computer has to come out. What do you have in mind?

Maybe they come out with a new design, some new line of computers or a special edition of sorts.

Well, the first product, according to Steve, was the Poster of the Female Runner, so, it was the "first," so they must be planning the PowerBook G5... right? right?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Even clearer:

• Reply 16 of 47
    They retouched the 1984 video really well. The iPod looks like it was always there! 8)
  • Reply 17 of 47
    It's on the home page pic, too.

• Reply 18 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I was looking at the iPod the whole time thinking it was an old walkman, or something.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Appple gave it away as a poster at MAcworld. HEre with her ipod
  • Reply 20 of 47
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Ah, gotta love a classic. I have to get my hands on one of those posters too...

I say we get a nice surprise from Apple within the next month or so; maybe a high-priced, low-volume product not really designed to be a major product, but just a demonstration of Apple's ability to innovate and design a really cool/futuristic product. Hmm, funny, I just saw Gil stroll by... OH NO!!! I'm trapped in 1997 and can't get out!!! HELP MEEEE!