Was this the lamest MW expo yet?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Maybe it'll serve as a lesson for us to get so hyped up over these expos.

Besides, Apple did say they weren't going to launch products at Mac expos exclusively. I'm sure we'll see those faster G5's within a few months or so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I thought it was great. You mustn't remember every single expo between about 1999 and 2003 where a G5 or a new iMac was expected every single time.

I'm looking forward to GarageBand a lot, and I'm sure the other iLife upgrades will be nice. I don't care much about the G5 Xserve or the minipod, but I'm sure someone somewhere does.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    This one didn't actually seem very hyped. There wasn't as much pre-expo excitement this time around. But it was actually pretty boring.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    most certainly not. well, i didn't watch it so much as i vicariously watched it through the ai chat room. it was interesting. i went in completely blind (ignorant of the impending keynote until yesterday, and even then not searching the rumor mill), and i was quite happy with this one. i know a small band who might get some good use out of that new garageband prog. heck, if i used osx i could get a use out of it. i might just reinstall osx just to play with it. and remember, we have to compare all bad keynotes against the infamous mwny, and the multitude of amelionotes. so, certainly your exaggeration won't work.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

and remember, we have to compare all bad keynotes against the infamous mwny, and the multitude of amelionotes.

Yeah, some of you guys have short memories. You don't know what living hell a keynote can be.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I was kind of looking forward to the iPod Minis... until I saw the price...

But it's always fun to listen to Steve speek because he's so great at it.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

the infamous mwny

Was that the one where everyone was predicting G5s and flat panel iMacs and instead we got a 30-minute demonstration of iDVD 2's menus?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It was good. Not the best (Namely, the accidental release of the G5 specs ) but not the worst either. All-in-all I give it a "B+".
  • Reply 8 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    This one is still much better than the one in January 2000

In that expo, absolutely zero new hardware. G4 was still stuck at 450MHz. Only thing was the half and hour long (not to mention boring) aqua interface demonstration.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    B+...bravo Steve...somehow I was hoping for G5 Powerbooks...soon to come methinks.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

This one is still much better than the one in January 2000

In that expo, absolutely zero new hardware. G4 was still stuck at 450MHz. Only thing was the half and hour long (not to mention boring) aqua interface demonstration.

And Leonis we should agree, that we are both very happy to have still the fastest mac of the market (for 2 or 3 months more )
  • Reply 11 of 23
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Worst keynote ever was MacWorld NY 2002. The audience reaction to Dot Mac was priceless.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

And Leonis we should agree, that we are both very happy to have still the fastest mac of the market (for 2 or 3 months more )

Yeah right, I didn't think of that
  • Reply 13 of 23
    zoszos Posts: 4member
    Definitely one of the worst, though there have been plenty other letdowns. I'm guessing the next expo will yield the updates that should have been ready for this one.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The only reason it seemed "lame" was a lack new Macs (apart from the Xserve, which is only of interest to a few people). Looking at it objectively though, it was pretty good with iPod mini, Garage Band and a slew of minor updates.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    The lack of new hardware just doesn't bother me anymore. For several years, we were all worried about the G4-G5 situation. Now we've got the G5, we know the roadmap for it looks great, and we know they don't do speed bumps at keynotes anymore. What, are we disappointed that the G6 didn't come out today?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Worst keynote ever was MacWorld NY 2002. The audience reaction to Dot Mac was priceless.

The audience reaction in 2000 when Steve announced the price of the Cube was also pretty priceless. The silence was deafening.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Cluster node... oh yea

This wasn't lame, it was expected. We have had some major letdown 'notes but this was far far from those. This was probably the first keynote in a while were we Macheads weren't on edge and excited, because the future of our company didn't depended on what was announced. We have the G5. The future most of us were debating for years and years finally arrived. We could rest. I'm sure the rumor community will slowly build itself back up over time as we learn of newer technologies that Apple HAS to have

Four YEARS of rumor-mongering can burn people out, some of us are enjoying not worrying about Apple's day-to-day survival and stagnant Professional line. It's good not to have the horrible 'note letdowns of the past; it may not be the high we all experienced when the G5 landed, but what, in all honesty, will ever compare to that???

GO APPLE!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    ha ha ha!

you big bunch of no it alls and whinners got what you deserve!

what?

with all of your silly spec lists and whatnot.

i have to admit the expo was a bit of a letdown though and heres why:

that damn minipod although it is sexy isnt worth 249.

why buy it when you can just get the 15 gig model?

i knew apple wasnt going to put out a 99 dollar or 149 dollar ipod.

why should they?

now for the positives.

im was really impressed with the new ilife and its price in particular.

lets face facts,apple could charge MUCH more for it.

i think the fact the iphoto is much faster is a HUGE deal.

also the fact that they could get a g5 into a 1u form factor is quite amazing.

im very happy that the xserve has moved to the g5.

and ill have you all know i was reading between the lines when steve said that they have a lot in store for the g5.

with everything that apple did last year this expo HAD to be the way it was,they cant keep throwing products out there.

last year was TREMENDOUS for apple and us apple users.

patience.

but ill say this:when apple finally manages to put a g5 or whatever chip the will use in a powerbook?

look out!

• Reply 19 of 23
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Steve must have said no less than four times that "we've got great products coming later this year..."

He knows product intros are the focus of the Macworld crowd and minipods just don't cut it to a roomful of people who work with Macs for a living.

Translation: It's not ready. Whatever "it" is. (Next-gen iMac, pda/phone, new displays, all of the above...)

The interesting thing will be if they really do boycott Boston. Then the intros are solely based on his timing, and 2004 could really have some surprises.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Steve must have said no less than four times that "we've got great products coming later this year..."

He knows product intros are the focus of the Macworld crowd and minipods just don't cut it to a roomful of people who work with Macs for a living.

Translation: It's not ready. Whatever "it" is. (Next-gen iMac, pda/phone, new displays, all of the above...)

The interesting thing will be if they really do boycott Boston. Then the intros are solely based on his timing, and 2004 could really have some surprises.

Yup. As soon as I heard him say we've got some great stuff for you this year and not today, I knew it was going to be a bit of a slow show compared to last year's MWSF where we got, iLife, FCX, Keynote, and the 12/17" PowerBooks. It's kinda hard to top that.