what does the G5 xserve tell us?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Wow, Antithesis' "I want a cheaper G4 tower" endless argument has moved to this thread. Let it go, folks. He just loves to argue.

Cubist, my apologies for baiting him or her or it... (Antihesis that is)

Antithesis? tell me what does the G5 x serve tell you... except that you dont know the title of this post.. i cant be bothered with you...

Back to the topic:

For pure speculation does anyone have a take out there on an g5 blade enclosure? I was looking at the case of the previous x-serve and the new and questioned that if the new .90 process runs cooler could this be a possibility?... thoughts...
  • Reply 142 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco:

... For pure speculation does anyone have a take out there on an g5 blade enclosure? I was looking at the case of the previous x-serve and the new and questioned that if the new .90 process runs cooler could this be a possibility?... thoughts...

IBM has a serious take on G5 blades with their JS20 blades.

Quote:

Series features:

?__Modular blade server optimized for the BladeCenter enclosure

?__Two PowerPC® 970 processors at up to 1.6GHz standard

?__512MB standard/4GB max PC2700 ECC DDR memory

?__Up to two IDE hard disk drives for 80GB maximum internal storage

?__Two Gigabit Ethernet controllers standard with load balancing and failover features

?__Powerful management capabilities provided by Integrated System Management processor, Light Path Diagnostics, First Failure Data Capture and IBM Director

IBM plans to release this product in March, so I would think that they will be using the same 90nm part that the new G5 Xserve uses, though clocked at 1.6 GHz. What does this tell us? I think it tells us that with a reduction of clockspeed the G5 can work in tight enclosures.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    IBM plans to release this product in March, so I would think that they will be using the same 90nm part that the new G5 Xserve uses, though clocked at 1.6 GHz. What does this tell us? I think it tells us that with a reduction of clockspeed the G5 can work in tight enclosures. [/B][/QUOTE]

I hope to god that apple follows IBM's lead here, the potential is enormous for processing large render files... blades are more economical, in terms of space what i check was the ability for

clustering processing software I HOPE apple takes IBM lead here

there are many users out there for whom Clustered computering is what they want from apple in a relatively simple small enlosure. But we need the software ( ie the Apps ( FCP & SHAKE ) developed to intergrate to the OS) to allow us to do this. I believe that the G5 x serve is the thin edge of the wedge. Apple wants to be in the enterprise game for one of its strongest markets the PRO graphics and film/ video. I believ that the sci community was a way for apple to test its server without serious offering it to the PRO Graphics community.... I hope that its offer is based on the blade. even if its at Duel 1.6 the ability is there to deploy low cost render farms... My dream as my render in AE works away tonight.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco :

... Clustered computering is what they want from apple in a relatively simple small enlosure..... I hope that its offer is based on the blade. even if its at Duel 1.6 the ability is there to deploy low cost render farms... My dream as my render in AE works away tonight.

Blades are small, but definitely not simple. For one thing, a chassis to accommodate them must also be designed. The simplest and most cost effective way for Apple to have these products is simply to buy them from IBM and re-badge them.
  • Reply 145 of 150
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

IBM plans to release this product in March, so I would think that they will be using the same 90nm part that the new G5 Xserve uses, though clocked at 1.6 GHz. What does this tell us? I think it tells us that with a reduction of clockspeed the G5 can work in tight enclosures.

Just because IBM anounced them running at 1.6 Ghz dosnt mean that the final speed will not be higher. It wouldn't be the first time that IBM overdelivered on speed if they bumped it up to 1.8 or even 2.0 Ghz when they actually release them.
  • Reply 146 of 150
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The IBM blade at least show that it is possible to have a 1.6 GHz 970 in a small space, iMac size by the look of it
  • Reply 147 of 150
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

The IBM blade at least show that it is possible to have a 1.6 GHz 970 in a small space, iMac size by the look of it

Not just "a" 1.6 GHz 970, BUT TWO 1.6 GHz 970's

Think different/think positive
  • Reply 148 of 150
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The IBM blade with two 1.6GHz CPUs and 512meg of memory is about $3,000. I think I'd prefer an xServe.
  • Reply 149 of 150
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    How do they cool the boards in the blade server? Of course noise is not a concern at all.
  • Reply 150 of 150
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    And while were at it......... Athlon 3000+ Notebook

I know it will look positively crap next to a PowerBook, most likely no battery life, huge, heavy and noisy for starters.

But I think we need a G5 PB (even at 1.6G) now!, please Apple - have creditt card ready! \