Running w/ Mini iPod ???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    This may be going out on a limb, but I wonder if something similar to the Belkin media reader could resolve this? In other words, for those times when you want to run, plug in the media reader, put in a SD or CF card and load a playlist or two onto there. Then, run from the flash memory, bypassing the hard drive. It would probably have to be the Secure Digital to make it compact enough for the iPod, as the Belkin reader is quite bulky. I don't how this would work logistically as far as iPod hardware/software (if something additional is needed to process the card reader/flowing data from it to compact the size of the reader vs. Belkin's size right now).

Just an idea, but if you could get it for under $50, might be worth it. I already have CF cards for digicams, so that's not an obstacle -- and prices on cards under 256MB are quite reasonable.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    thats a waste... just get a cheap used one on ebay and use that....
  • Reply 23 of 25
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

As an aspiring runner I have the same concerns with the HDD-based nature of the iPod mini. Personally, I would rather pay $250 for an iPod mini with 1GB Flash memory rather than a 4GB HDD. Considering that the 1-inch HDD in the iPod mini is essentially an IBM MicroDrive, which are Compact Flash size, I wonder whether a hardware hack would be possible. Could we swap the 1-inch 4GB HDD for a 1GB or 2GB Compact Flash card? I eagerly await take-apart pictures of the new iPod mini.

Escher

yeah, a even larger difference to get people to spend $50 more...
  • Reply 24 of 25
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

yeah, a even larger difference to get people to spend $50 more...

Seriously, I'm not convinced that I should buy an 4GB iPod mini with armband instead of a 256MB Rio Cali for working out and running. I'll just have to be doubly disciplined: (1) to think about my music selection ahead of time, and (2) to go running in the first place.

Escher
  • Reply 25 of 25
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

thats a waste... just get a cheap used one on ebay and use that....

And the shock protection issue is solved how?