Will the French Indict Cheney?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Interesting recent article in The Nation reports on another potentially explosive scandal for the President. This time it deals with Dick Cheney's role as CEO of Halliburton, the notorious company that recently caused the President some discomfort about overcharging our government tens of millions of dollars in excess fees. Well, the Vice-President very well may be indicted by a French court on charges of "bribery, money-laundering and misuse of corporate assets." Sounds like a potential Spiro T. Agnew redux.
Quote:

According to accounts in the French press, Judge van Ruymbeke believes that some or all of $180 million in so-called secret "retrocommissions" paid by Halliburton and Technip were, in fact, bribes given to Nigerian officials and others to grease the wheels for the refinery's construction.

The article also makes the point that what's also interesting is how none of the major US newspapers have yet to pick up on the story from the French newspaper, Le Figaro. I only know this about the paper's reputation: According to the Guardian Unlimited, the paper seems to be conservative. Encyclopedia Britannica more or less corroborates the Guardian's assessment of the paper's ideological tilt. It seems reputable at least.

Regardless, what's news is that the investigation is happening, and Cheney may very well be indicted in the end.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Interesting recent article in The Nation reports on another potentially explosive scandal for the President. This time it deals with Dick Cheney's role as CEO of Halliburton, the notorious company that recently caused the President some discomfort about overcharging our government tens of millions of dollars in excess fees. Well, the Vice-President very well may be indicted by a French court on charges of "bribery, money-laundering and misuse of corporate assets." Sounds like a potential Spiro T. Agnew redux.

The article also makes the point that what's also interesting is how none of the major US newspapers have yet to pick up on the story from the French newspaper, Le Figaro. I only know this about the paper's reputation: According to the Guardian Unlimited, the paper seems to be conservative. Encyclopedia Britannica more or less corroborates the Guardian's assessment of the paper's ideological tilt. It seems reputable at least.

Regardless, what's news is that the investigation is happening, and Cheney may very well be indicted in the end.

Le Figaro is definitevely a conservative newspaper. It's the french conservative newspaper.

The judge (who is independant : he is famous to have sued french politicians of both side) he is investigating about a joint venture between Haliburton and Technip a french companie in one of the most corrupt countrie of the world. If a french companie was not involved, the judge will haven't any right to investigate.

Recently formers executives leaders of Elf and Total (oil companies) went in prison for nearly the same reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The French can't even edict Chirac.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Parlez-vous anglais?
  • Reply 4 of 78
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Whatever. Whatever....and...wait for it...WHATEVER.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Man, seems that Dean is always trying to one up the Republicans.

Look at this.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Whatever. Whatever....and...wait for it...WHATEVER.

Way to address the topic.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Man, seems that Dean is always trying to one up the Republicans.

Look at this.

Nick

It appears that your post is an entirely off-topic reference to a potential Democratic candidate in the next Presidential election in America.

Could you explain how your post and your link in any way addresses the thread title?

Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

It appears that your post is an entirely off-topic reference to a potential Democratic candidate in the next Presidential election in America.

Could you explain how your post and your link in any way addresses the thread title?

Thanks.

Well it had this thing, I like to call them... smilies...

It mentioned that Dean's matter could be a civil and criminal matter here in the U.S.

One up...if you dont't get the joke that is your problem I guess.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:

Well it had this thing, I like to call them... smilies...

It mentioned that Dean's matter could be a civil and criminal matter here in the U.S.

One up...if you dont't get the joke that is your problem I guess.

Nick

Rrright. And Howard Dean is relevant to the thread topic... how, exactly?

Can I make irrelevant jokes in other threads too?

Cool.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Le Figaro is definitevely a conservative newspaper. It's the french conservative newspaper.

The judge (who is independant : he is famous to have sued french politicians of both side) he is investigating about a joint venture between Haliburton and Technip a french companie in one of the most corrupt countrie of the world. If a french companie was not involved, the judge will haven't any right to investigate.

Recently formers executives leaders of Elf and Total (oil companies) went in prison for nearly the same reasons.

Unfortunately, I suspect all of this in both of our countries will just motivate them to create ever more complex ways of avoiding public scrutiny. Even as it is now, Halliburton, unique because of the high visibility of its actions, doesn't really hide what they do so much as they use the one-two punch of obscurity through boring detail and security from scrutiny by large parts of the public through political affiliation.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    I've tried it.

Doesn't seem the same.

How about if I bang on about my bête noirs in threads I find uncomfortable to my political viewpoint, regardless of any relevance, putting in a smilie so it's "only a joke"?

I'm going to try that right now.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Justice needs to be brought.

If there is criminal or civil wrongdoing it needs to be judged and given the needed penalty.

Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 78
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The French can't even edict Chirac.

and i higly doubt that they will sue Cheney either.

French politicians are far from being clean with money. French judges have demonstrated a nice sipirt of independance these last years. They prosecuted many french politicians wether they belong to the left or the right. Chirac protect himself by a law that will works only during his presidency. He will be tried later.

Now, i will remind that nobody is oblige to participate to a thread. If people feel inconfortable with a thread, free for them to ignore it. But derailing it, is not welcome.

Now in a political point of vue, this info is very minimize in the TV and radio media. The french governement must be very embarrassed with this one, and they surely ask the justice to keep the secret of instruction intact. Normally during investigations, no info have to be shared with the press. However the rule is not enough respected.

Giant : you may be right, but it's not a reason to do nothing. Will you keep your door unlock in your house, just because burglars are able to broke it ?
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Well since Hassan, doesn?t like my humor, I?ll act like someone else he appreciates. I?ll become Shawn the parser of posts.

Take that word notorious. The Nation doesn?t use it. Only Shawn uses it in an attempt to make Cheney guilty before he is charged. All we know so far is that the deal is under investigation and Cheney was named as someone who could be affected since he was involved with the company at the time.

Then Shawn attempts a guilt by association. The Halliburton charge with regard to Iraq was found to be associated with a subcontractor. It was also discovered that Halliburton hadn?t made an excess dime off the matter. I guess if Shawn wants to repeat a lie often enough, he believes people will think it the truth.

Attributing labels to lies is just Shawns attempt to discredit groups and people. He has nothing substative to say here.

Hope you enjoyed the impersonation.

Oh, in true Shawn fashion I'll declare myself right through all the replies since you made up the word notorious and lied about the subcontractor.

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 78
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    It's not about profit. It's about bribery and where the funds for those bribes came from.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Oh, in true Shawn fashion I'll declare myself right through all the replies since you made up the word notorious and lied about the subcontractor.

Nick

Nick you know better than this. What are you doing?

Fellowship
  • Reply 17 of 78
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Giant : you may be right, but it's not a reason to do nothing. Will you keep your door unlock in your house, just because burglars are able to broke it ?

Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I totally agree with FCiB's rather straightforward assessment.

But this stuff happens with Halliburton all the time. The company is little less than organized crime gone corporate.

Hell, they already admitted back in May to bribing another nigerian official: http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/...952243,00.html

But in the end, they just pay the fines and move on to their next crime, like stealing the largest Iraqi reconstruction contract out from under everyone's noses.

And Cheney has a central role in the company:

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/c...lliburton.html

It's good to hear that the process will likely be relatively independent of politics. Unfortunately, here in the states most people in certain groups would likely see any indictment as politically motivated.

And wouldn't that be quite a sight? Rather than the typical acquiescence we might actually have more people defending these crooks. And, yeah, that includes Dick "I didn't do business with Iraq's 'evil' regime during the 90's" Cheney.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Nick you know better than this. What are you doing?

Fellowship

I'm having some fun while addressing the topic.

I know you consider it far below the standards I operate at to dismiss something due to a misused word or one misattributed piece of information. But it is fun to use the Franken-liar tactics on the people who believe them the most valid.

If it dispirits you too much, just remember it is satire. I said it was an impression, I added smilies. Shawn would gladly protect my right to it.

Don't be so serious. Even when debating and discussing we have to be able to have times when we don't take it all so seriously.

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 78
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    My brother, who is a staunch Republican, said that he wishes Cheney wouldn't run with Bush this election cycle. Now, my brother is the kind of Republican who says, "I will never vote against my party ever again!" (he voted for Perot, which helped get Clinton elected).

He feels that Cheney has become a liability to Bush. His reputation for "sky is falling" foreign policy, his terrible reputation for his association with Halliburton and his deferred fees, his less than thrilling personality, et al. He would rather see Condaleeza Rice run with Bush.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Whew!!! When I first saw the title to this thread my heart started to beat a bit faster. On a quick glance I saw "Will the French indict Chinney?"

On to the topic...I don't know what, if anything, Cheney is guilty of in this instance. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until more evidence is provided. But guilty on this one or not, I do view him as pulling the strings on this US Administration's most objectionable (from my point of view) far-right conservative policies. If a scandal could derail his political career, it would be good for the U.S. and good for the world.