WinExpose` Is Out And I'm Mad!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Don't know if others have posted this here already but i just found this

http://www.winexpose.com/

I'm going to send this to apple and hope they can get there ass for this.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Don't know if others have posted this here already but i just found this

http://www.winexpose.com/

I'm going to send this to apple and hope they can get there ass for this.

Frank_t

geez, is this flattery or shameless rip-off? i mean, they didn't even hardly bother to change the name...
  • Reply 2 of 52
    I don't know what's worse, that it exists or that it only costs $9.95. Didn't people at first say they'd pay the whole Panther upgrade fee just so get Expose? ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 52
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Well i sent 2 e-mails to apple one via there mac os x feedback page and the other on there pr page....i hope they do something about this and quick as it will make me and i'm sure a hell of alot of other mac users mad if windows can copy us like this and so dam easy.

If you want send a e-mail to apple also to show your support to stopping the people who are behind this.

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Well i sent 2 e-mails to apple one via there mac os x feedback page and the other on there pr page....i hope they do something about this and quick as it will make me and i'm sure a hell of alot of other mac users mad if windows can copy us like this and so dam easy.

If you want send a e-mail to apple also to show your support to stopping the people who are behind this.

Frank_t

well, technically, it's not "windows" doing this... it's some shareware developer. and it's also not the first time. there's been a mac os x-ish dock rip-off shareware program for a while now, and apple hasn't batted an eyelash in response.

don't get me wrong... i'm really annoyed at the utter lack of originality some of these "developers" are exhibiting, but i'd be a hell of a lot MORE annoyed... angry even ... if microsoft did something like this and tried to pass it off in longhorn as a microsoft exclusive or something.

it all depends on how possessive apple feels over expose.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    They should feel possessive of it, and the Dock as well. I'd think the taskbar does enough to not want a Dock to go with it, personally.

Windows users don't need an "Expose key" to show the desktop. They already have that in their taskbar anyway. I personally think that's a bit TOO much for copying, and he's just getting money for something that Apple originated.

Well, we'll see what happens with this...
  • Reply 6 of 52
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    When i said windows i didn't mean Microsoft it-self...i mean the platform.

If apple doesn't do anything about this then there bigger idiots than the developers of winexpose \

Frank_t
  • Reply 7 of 52
    From the FAQ

Quote:

3. Supported platforms:

WinExposé will work in Microsoft Windows 98/2000/XP, though it works best with XP.

Note: With Windows 98 the quality of the images is not smooth.

This is due to a bug in Microsoft's implementation of graphics handling.

"not smooth... due to a bug in MS..." ringing endorsements already

Quote:

4. Known limitations:

There are three known issues that may sometimes occur:

Windows Display As Grey Rectangle

This is primarily something that can happen with Windows 98/2000 when the window in question is not visible and is due to a limitation of Microsoft's graphics handling. To get round it have all windows open on screen.

Short System Freezing

On some computers WinExposé can cause a short freeze of the system when the user is scrolling through a long document. If this occurs on your machine right click the WinExpose icon in the system tray and

select the "Don't Freeze" Option.

Delay in Showing Window Display

On slower computers there may be a short delay after pressing the keyboard shortcut before the images are displayed, particularly if there are a large number of windows open. This is a limitation caused by the length of time needed to prepare the images for display.

and the "MS.is.lame" excuses start already

my favourite is the "Don't Freeze" special tick box option that needed building in...

must be next to that "Don't BSOD" feature in Windows
  • Reply 8 of 52
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    This sucks, doesn't Apple have some kind of patent on Expose to prevent this from happening. This makes me furious I don't even have WinExpose cause I need Panther and some idiot with there stupid PC can just buy it at 9.95. I a couple weeks from now PC users will say that this feature was first on PC's. F*** Windows I hate Microsoft !!!!
  • Reply 9 of 52
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Things I can't tell about WinExpose:

1. Are the windows still live while shrunk?

2. Can you drag and drop and do other actions while the windows are shrunk? (e.g. click-drag-F9-drop)

3. Can you switch between various modes directly? (You can't in their little 'demo' window.)

I'd be very interested in trying it before shelling out the money.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Geez, calm down and let Apple worry about it. I bet if windows had this you wouldn't mind if a dev came out with it. I also don't remember anyone getting mad when people shamefully tried to make OS X themes and docks for windows and windows apps. What is any different about expose besides it's new and cool?
  • Reply 11 of 52
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    or when apple ripped off fast user switching.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That Microsoft ripped off from elsewhere. Who cares about shareware. It's when it's in XP SP2 or Windows 2006 that we should be worried.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Object Dock

Personally, I think it rocks! You all should be glad that Apple had an idea so good that everyone wants to copy it. Apple can't really own the word Expose, so I'm not sure on how the legal issue is....who knows? Maybe they contaced Apple, asked them about adding WIN in front of it, and they OK'ed it? Possible? (Like I said, they should be happy!)
  • Reply 14 of 52
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I bet if windows had this you wouldn't mind if a dev came out with it.

I think you'd actually get whatever you bet on if you put money on it..lol..

Remember GoMac? Way back in the Mac OS 8 days? That was from a Windows thing..the taskbar.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    If somebody with a credit card buys that winexpose software, I'll gladly test it out and post screenshots as I'm on a 2ghz windows XP system at work.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Personally, I think it rocks! You all should be glad that Apple had an idea so good that everyone wants to copy it.

On the one hand, I do see your point. But on the other, I think this is totally typical of the Wintel mindset: lots of copying and little innovation -- except in how to extract more money from users while benefitting them as little as possible.

When it comes to innovation, Wintel isn't where the action is. It's at Apple and in the open source world. There are some exceptions certainly, but I think this is generally true. The fact that in OS X these two world are coming together is just fantastic. I've learned that it's always best to be where the action is: good things happen when you are!

If it wasn't such a one way street -- if Wintel was contributing innovations too -- then I wouldn't mind the copying at all. If someone made a copy of Expose to run on Linux/BSD, I would support it wholeheartedly because THEY give back!

The commitment of Apple and the Linux/BSD world to open standards and open source helps spawn innovation. The Wintel approach saps the life from it.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You know, this has existed for linux for quite a while as well.

Whatever, most shareware is never discovered so this program will likely go to obscurity.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Object Dock

Personally, I think it rocks! You all should be glad that Apple had an idea so good that everyone wants to copy it. Apple can't really own the word Expose, so I'm not sure on how the legal issue is....who knows? Maybe they contaced Apple, asked them about adding WIN in front of it, and they OK'ed it? Possible? (Like I said, they should be happy!)

sigh... you can trademark words to be attached to specific products and protect them as your intellectual property (example: no one can come out with a presentation application called "keynote" without apple's permission).

if apple didn't trademark the name, then they'll just have to grin and bear it. and "user interface" has proven next to impossible to protect as intellectual property in a court of law in the past.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

if apple didn't trademark the name, then they'll just have to grin and bear it. and "user interface" has proven next to impossible to protect as intellectual property in a court of law in the past.

Which is a good thing. I don't want the rest of the world to not copy Apple's innovations just out of some spiteful fanboydom.

Plus, you CAN'T trademark generic names. Exposé is pretty generic.

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 52
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm, just like Windows? That's pretty generic, and Lindows didn't get very far... I'm sure it's very possible that Apple can send a c&d letter to these guys for using Expose in their product name that would work.