2004: welcome to the year of the partnership!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:

In preparing for the day that demand for OSX powered computers outstrips Apple's ability to supply them, Apple has no farther to look than IBM. They make the chips that OSX runs on after all. IBM is no Dell, their products already demand a premium, so the price undercutting that the Apple "clones" inflicted on Apple won't happen there.

I like the thinking throughout your post.

Apple may be a 'hardware' company right now. But they make better software. And more of their revenue is coming from software, services and non 'Mac' stuff. Just look at the latest Keynote. Yet more software. And I expect more to come this year.

I think the Christmas quarter breakdown should be quite intriguing to see where Apple is going...

Apple now has a huge PC hardware maker backing Apple's hardware and software offerings in a massive move which has completely side-stepping Redmond's own music PR related fumblings...not to mention the gigantic Pepsi promotion. This all new territory being mapped out by Apple. It's unprecedented.

I think in light of the HP/Apple strategy, we can draw our own conclusions.

Think the unthinkable.

This isn't 1984...or is it?

Lemon Bon Bon \
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I like the thinking throughout your post... I think the Christmas quarter breakdown should be quite intriguing to see where Apple is going...

I think in light of the HP/Apple strategy, we can draw our own conclusions... Think the unthinkable... This isn't 1984...or is it?

Thanks LBB ~ as the years of the past two decades have slowly crept by there were many times that I felt Bill Gates' Orwellian dream of total domination would come to pass. Longhorn is the last and best chance for him to pull it off.

The problem for him is that with SA6 he showed his hand a bit to early. The corporations that signed on for the "three years" of software upgrades found out that all they will get for that is a service pack to fix the massive problems that the Windows eXPerience has given them.

There is a massive change coming and companies like IBM (and now HP) are preparing for it. Apple is in a great position to capitalize on the coming implosion and meltdown of Microsoft in the enterprise sector.

Of course Microsoft will survive, $50,000,000,000 in the bank from their ill-gotten gains will prop them up and animate the corpse for some time. But their days of bullying the OEM's into submission are over. The HP iPod is clear evidence of that.

But there are dangerous days to come, once the profits and MSFT stock value starts to slide, they will begin to fall back on their patent portfolio much like their proxy SCO, and this will be very disruptive for the Industry.

Like a Bull in the ring, as the circling picadors start to wound them, they will become enraged and really start to fight. We live in interesting times.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

In preparing for the day that demand for OSX powered computers outstrips Apple's ability to supply them, Apple has no farther to look than IBM....

...IBM has already poured millions into Linux getting ready for this, so why should they want to bother with the Macintosh? For the same reason HP agreed to sell iPods? Or possibly for the same reason they are into Linux, support and service contracts? Back-up plan for the unlikely event that they lose the SCO lawsuit?...

Nicely though out post. I have always thought in the back of my head that IBM's investment in Linux is partially leverage on Apple to get a license for OS X. I would be surprised if it hasn't come up already, and the main thing holding it back is IBM's internal politics between the chip and hardware devisions in presenting a unified front. After all the chip devision would probably like to sell as many chips as possible no matter what OS they run or who the customer is, the more companies making PPC hardware the better. The hardware devision needs a respected OS to sell their computers and service contracts, they know the cost and perils of developing one (OS 2), for them I would imagine that getting their hands on OS X would be very desirable. Apple is reluctant to get back in the licensing scheme, but with the proper safeguards and licensing fees it could be a lucrative arrangement for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Cloning: the thread topic that just won't die.

I know this will sound like 20/20 hindsight to those who weren't around in the Amelio era, but the Mac cloning experiment was implemented really badly, and Jobs was right to kill it off.

Apple had to do QA on both their machines and every clone, meaning they poured a ton of time and money into machines that they only got token revenue from. I said it then and will say it now. That will never work.

Apple's advantage is making the whole widget. Apple needs to control the hardware and software to create the Macintosh experience. Mac cloning will only work if Apple assumes the functions of Microsoft AND Intel, i.e. selling cloners a copy of the Mac OS along with an Apple-made motherboard at the same time.

Cloners should be able to use whatever case designs they want, but should never be allowed to create their own motherboards, which is where Amelio crashed and burned.

Jobs seems to understand this, as the HP deal shows. Apple's bottom line is to keep control of the hardware and software platform direction, as it should be.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Software isn't what brings in the Sacagaweas! Hardware is!

iTunes doesn't make money (nor does the iTunes Music Store), it is to sell the iPodses. That is why they are not going to sell other iLife apps, because it is not going to get them to sell Mac Hardware, like the iTunes Music Store is.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I bet that HP got into the ipod business...because even after liscensing fees...they will still make a high profit on hpods thant PCs. Just think, Apple makes an average of $150 per ipod in pure profit...you think HP makes that much when the average computer price is $1000?

In case you haven't noticed: IBM is pushing Linux pretty hard: seen those crazy commercials with the blond kid holding Linux as the future? I don't think IBM will hedge their desktop bet on Linux, but in the server space OS X has a real chance.

The PowerPC chip is about to take over the gaming consoles, since IBM has contracts for chipmaking for XBox, Playstation and Gamecube. I think being a Mac gamer this year just got more fun! Every game could make it to OS X faster than its arrival on the PC with PowerPC chips on every platform! (Easy porting with really similar hardware)

What I am waiting for:

g5 powerbooks: power at your fingertips

Centrino like battery life, 64-bit power and apple style

new technologies:

*airport extreme edition: speeds up to 108 mbps: compatible with lynksys, d-link and netgear products (and who ever else I forgot to mention)

*x-brite screens: like HDTV in your lap

*+/- DVD burning upt to 8x (and this feature will be turned on in the 10.3.x power user update: only for the g5 processors...+ burning out of the box on all new g5s...but iDVD will still be - only)

New on the software front

Rendezvous everywhere: iDVD on your network: share a burner with all machines in the network...even PCs.

Rendezvous active directory: in a speccial network...their address will show up while typing in mail just like the ichat buddy list: Rendezvous address book

HP and IBM will add REndezvous support for all products.......

By the way.....

AMD 64 laptops: they are here
  • Reply 27 of 44
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'm gonna have to agree with those who say keep OS X far away from x86. It was written for use on a PPC processor, don't try to port it to an x86 environment because it will suffer. It won't work right, the problems will be huge, we already know the x86 world is somewhat of a mess. Keep the world's best OS on the world's best chips. Don't license OS X.

how about licensing OS X for PowerPC to IBM? this would be cool. IBM could deliver Blades and Power5-based machines with OS X. and even BlueGene could run OS X.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

... In case you haven't noticed: IBM is pushing Linux pretty hard: seen those crazy commercials with the blond kid holding Linux as the future? ...

Did you also notice the similarity to the Apple commercials? In the "white room" the kid that is linux receives the wisdom of his mentors. Take a look at IBM's print and web ads that are strikingly similar to the iPod ads. I think something is going on here, if only at a subliminal level.

Quote:

I don't think IBM will hedge their desktop bet on Linux, but in the server space OS X has a real chance...

Major corporations always hedge their bets, especially their big ones. Having said that, I agree that IBM is committed to following through with Linux from the server to the desktop.

Of course the outcome of the SCO proxy battle against Linux could change that. My faith in the American legal system has been severely challenged by the OJ trial and the DOJ fiasco. When you consider the old saw that "America has the best legal system money can buy" and apply it to SCO and it's hidden backer, the outcome seems less assured as a slam dunk by IBM.

We are in agreement about the server side being the best chance for a partnership between Apple and IBM. It just make sooo much sense for both of them to work in unison to upset the Wintel penetration into IBM's traditional turf. I just can't see any downsides for either party. To me it seems like an obvious great move for both IBM and Apple.

The HP announcement to sell iPods could be a template for how this partnership would work. The iPod was something that HP needed to avoid coming out with a craptacular solution, controlled by Microsoft, like Dell's. Turn the tables and look at Apple's server products. Very nice, but not an enterprise solution. (when "enterprise" is defined as Fortune 500).

To crack this nut Apple needs four things: (in order of importance)

#1). Credibility with the enterprise

#2). An enterprise service and support structure

#3). Blades (and a blade chassis)

#4). A viable second source for these products

IBM uniquely provides the answers for all four of the above needs. No one has better credibility in the enterprise than IBM. No one has a better service and support structure. No one makes a better blade solution than IBM. I can't think of a more comforting (to CEOs and CIO's) hardware backup than Big Blue.

So in the same way that Apple is OEMing it's most popular product to HP, IBM takes little risk in letting Apple purchase for resale it's Blade Center products. In the same way that Apple is letting HP have an iPod with their logo and corporate color, IBM could just slap a brushed aluminum front plate and Apple logo on their Blade Center chassis and JS20 dual 1.6 GHz 970 blades, then ship them to Apple for re-sale.

Apple could offer IBM service and support contracts as an option to AppleCare for these products as part of the deal. This is not unprecedented, at CompUSA you can have your choice of TAP (total assurance protection) from CompUSA, or AppleCare, take your pick.

If this is truly the "year of the partnership", the The IBM/Apple effort would be the "partnership of the year". I say GO FOR IT!
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy :

how about licensing OS X for PowerPC to IBM? ...

Good question Krassy, IBM has shown recently that it is operating system agnostic. They offer solutions and let the customer choose. Why not give them one more choice? IBM makes it's money on the support and service contracts for Linux, why not do the same for OSX server?

Apple sells it's unlimited seat OSX server product for $999, letting IBM sell it as an option with their servers seems like a great way to give it instant credibility in the enterprise. Also how much would it actually cost Apple to provide this? I think a couple of bucks would cover it, pressing a CD, packaging and shipping would be the only cost, and then there would be the residual income for the yearly updates.

Of course this would only make sense for OSX server, and I would imagine that it would be limited to that product. Xgrid is now a free download, think of the impact of that in the IBM ecosystem.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

g5 powerbooks: power at your fingertips

Centrino like battery life, 64-bit power and apple style

new technologies:

*airport extreme edition: speeds up to 108 mbps: compatible with lynksys, d-link and netgear products (and who ever else I forgot to mention)

New on the software front

Rendezvous everywhere: iDVD on your network: share a burner with all machines in the network...even PCs.

Rendezvous active directory: in a speccial network...their address will show up while typing in mail just like the ichat buddy list: Rendezvous address book

Now, besides everything you said was crazy, the "Airport Extreme Edition"? What? A standard is compatible all other hardware that is compatible with the standard. 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) will work NOW with "lynksys, d-link and netgear products (and who ever else I forgot to mention)"

See, for stuff to work on the PC FRONT, Apple would have to release Software (probably free) for Windows. So, really, you are insane.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

So, really, you are insane.

Agreed, lol.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Now, besides everything you said was crazy, the "Airport Extreme Edition"? What? A standard is compatible all other hardware that is compatible with the standard. 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) will work NOW with "lynksys, d-link and netgear products (and who ever else I forgot to mention)"

See, for stuff to work on the PC FRONT, Apple would have to release Software (probably free) for Windows. So, really, you are insane.

You missed the 108MBPS part...I am not talking 802.11g...but 802.11g+ like these:

netgear 108 super g

D-links g extreme

and by the way Airport does work with PCs, any computer with a b or g will see the airport base station, and Apple has released software to allow PC users to configure airport:

airport admin utility for windows

The ideas for rendezvous and iDVd come straight from "Toast Anywhere" in the new version of toast and the new rendezvous photo sharing feature in iPhoto.

Here is info from Roxio's site
    Quote:

ToastAnywhere? - Share CD or DVD burners across a network or the Internet with other Toast 6 Titanium users. A single burner can now serve an entire home or office.

And as for Rendezvous active directory: this is targeted for enterprise users, like the rendezvous printing technology. In a nutshell: if you work in a large company...and they utilize the groupware with a global address book...well I want those entries to show up when you go to a new network you have been authorized to enter...like how your rendezvous buddy list appears, you will have a rendezvous address book!

Hope that clears things up a little.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    My idea? clones.

But for special markets only.

In other words, a clone with a G4 designed as a practical, cheap laptop would not be allowed. Neither would a clone with a G4 designed as an AIO desktop with a CRT, most likely.

But? a clone that's industrial-strength? sure. A clone that has excellent small biz support - why not? A clone as a G3 desktop - lets let 'em at it! A clone that's a 7.2 pound G5 notebook - hey, do it! A clone like Apple's old Network Servers would also be accepted (but not a rack-mount server.) A tablet, finely, would come out... but not from Apple. Being a special market, someone could make a Mac clone that's a tablet.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    And there's another layer of opportunity created by iPod and iTMS which we never really discuss, largely because it isn't contained purely within the ICT or CE industry.

I was thinking the other day that it was a pity that Tom Ford was disappearing as the Steve Jobs of the Gucci group (Gucci, YSL and numerous other luxury brands) as iPodmini actually takes the iPod from a (predominantly) testosterone-oriented 'gadget' into the world of aspirational fashion.

If you've never seen Ford in interview, he is truly an obsessive control freak in the Jobs/Ellison mould to the point that - in one case - he had a hotel room redecorated as a Gucci PR suite so that he could hold court.

The idea of iPod (mini) and iTMS being rebranded and sold through the fashion industry, like DKNY or Gucci, could be a way for Apple to respond to the Loudeye/MS or Real/IBM partnerships, however the difference with the Apple offering is that it has the (hip) hardware as well as the storefront.

This view could/should be extended into other areas: HP were smart enough to realise that there was no money to be made by creating another 'me too' presence in an industry which almost does a disservice to the word 'Balkanisation'. Are there other companies, like Nike, Adidas, Swatch or Gap where a rebranded iPod and a concept that I call 'iTunes loyalty points' would further extend Apple's leadership.

In this market, you buy your 'iPod' branded dependent on your affinity - sporty, buy Nike; fashionable, buy DKNY; funky, buy Gap/Banana Republic; casual, buy Levis. And then, whenever you shop or buy something from an 'iPod' affinity retailer, you get points which convert into tracks.

The reason I like this idea is that it moves iPod from one store in a mall or a Main/High st. to ubiquity in the retail market and whilst I realise that Nike for one already has a DMP offering, it should not be difficult to convince brands to replace a loss-making 'me too' vanity offering with a genuine winner.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

And there's another layer of opportunity created by iPod and iTMS which we never really discuss, largely because it isn't contained purely within the ICT or CE industry.

The idea of iPod (mini) and iTMS being rebranded and sold through the fashion industry, like DKNY or Gucci, could be a way for Apple to respond to the Loudeye/MS or Real/IBM partnerships, however the difference with the Apple offering is that it has the (hip) hardware as well as the storefront.

In this market, you buy your 'iPod' branded dependent on your affinity - sporty, buy Nike; fashionable, buy DKNY; funky, buy Gap/Banana Republic; casual, buy Levis. And then, whenever you shop or buy something from an 'iPod' affinity retailer, you get points which convert into tracks.

....or for street-cred you get this one? Thing is though that the iPod is already a fashion-statement by itself. I'm not sure Apple wants to give that to anybody else.

Even with the HPods, the really cool people will have the Apple iPod. It's just like that.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

....or for street-cred you get this one? Thing is though that the iPod is already a fashion-statement by itself. I'm not sure Apple wants to give that to anybody else.

Even with the HPods, the really cool people will have the Apple iPod. It's just like that.

Maybe, maybe not!

Cool is subjective. You think Apple is cool, so curiously do most of us on this board.

However, cool is not an absolute: Apple is cool THEREFORE nothing else is cool.

Redline Snowmobiles: Cool - not for me, as I'm a coward and Surrey only gets snow once a decade - but cool. If you're a winter sports type and you align yourself more with that type of cool than our type of cool, why shouldn't Apple take the path of least resistance and get you where you live.

Nike: Cool - again, I'm about as active as a glacier with sleeping sickness so not for me - but for a particular demographic, why not?

Living in the Apple 'ghetto' hasn't been wholly successful for 20 years, but iPod and iTMS gives Apple a chance to think outside of the box, and to gain a constituency well outside the norm. The HP deal should just be a template for future expansion, not the end of it.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    How about a partnership with Ikea. Both of them are lifestyle brands that compliments each other. Have you noticed Ikea has used macs in their catalogs and advertising. How about a store within a store. Get the mac out of the electronic stores where staff steer you away to the pc. HP signed on. Why not Ikea?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

How about a partnership with Ikea. Both of them are lifestyle brands that compliments each other. Have you noticed Ikea has used macs in their catalogs and advertising. How about a store within a store. Get the mac out of the electronic stores where staff steer you away to the pc. HP signed on. Why not Ikea?

how about......NO
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

For Apple to sell to the mass market, Apple products need to be where the mass market shops for computers...which is not ikea. and besides, do you want to wait in line for 4 hours just to get your new powerbook....That doesn't include the time spent getting sold the computer....I don't thinkso!
  • Reply 40 of 44
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

Maybe, maybe not!

Cool is subjective. You think Apple is cool, so curiously do most of us on this board.

However, cool is not an absolute: Apple is cool THEREFORE nothing else is cool.

I'm not really arguing your point. Coolness is extremely subjective.

A Caterpillar iPod in yellow with diagonal black stripes and some kind of heavy duty roll-cage around it? Would be cool for some I guess.

A GiPod in camo and with your favourite Special Forces insignia engraved in the blackened SS back? Ditto.

Whatever...... not for me though.

My original point was that Ive(s?) with his styling and Apple with their marketing have defined their own arbitrary coolness. It's an urban hipster coolness - it's like Bang & Olufsen, Vitra,Boffi, Pininfarina or Mandarina Duck.

It's understated elegance, luxury and a signal that you know what's really cool to have sitting on your desk or hanging from one of those new arm strap thingies for the miniPod. It's the computer and the "Walkman(tm)" for the Wallpaper* generation (eventhough Wallpaper* is getting really UNcool among the cool cognisati). It's also part of the reason why we pay a premium for the hardware. Sorry but it is.

So having Tommy Killtrigger market a gangbangerPod, Nike a sweatPod or Miller a beerguzzlerPod wouldn't do Apple much good I think....

HP works because HP doesn't HAVE much of an image at all. There's no statement in buying a Pavillion (except that you are a really boring, accountant type who wears a belt AND suspenders). Apple and HP aren't really competing eventhough they are in the same market. That's also why I say that the really cool people will STILL be getting the Apple iPod after the new deal goes into effect.