Leading conservative figure calls for gays to be "eliminated"_

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You know how Dennis Kucinich will wax all optimistic and say things like, "When I'm president..."

Well, Washington Times/UPI publisher and GOP patron Sun Myung Moon does that kind of daydreaming too, except with some very different ideas of what he'd do. As posted this week by Moon's Webmaster, here's the Times owner -- the man behind the premiere Republican newspaper -- laying out what life would be like if he were king.

Quote:

There will be a purge on God's orders, and evil will be eliminated like shadows. Gays will be eliminated, the 3 Israels will unite. If not then they will be burned. We do not know what kind of world God will bring but this is what happens. It will be greater than the communist purge but at God's orders.

This brain-melting argument for God as a more homophobic version of Stalin also makes a reference to a Bush meeting. And that's what some Washington reporters really should be looking into. Forget the Holy Handkerchief jokes and cute references to mass weddings in bridal advice columns -- it's time to ask what this guy is doing in the mainstream of a major American political party.

Did I mention he's also getting tax money for Abstinence-Only Education? I probably did.

P.S.: Yes, this is actually Moon himself, not his henchman Dr. Kwak (a frequent guest at Washington Times media seminars), who is speaking at the beginning. If you read the transcription carefully, you'll see that Moon takes the mic from Kwak about midway through -- whereupon he asks how many are in the audience, and begins referring to himself, in the third person, as "True Father."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I have never heard of the guy. [Edit] This group is a fringe group in fact they have made the news before for various loony reasons] His statements are not funny in the least. I think your thread title is a little overstated "Leading conservative figure".

Fellowship
  • Reply 2 of 62
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    VERY misleading Northgate. Isn't this the guy who leads "The Moonies"?

Your title should be "Leading conservative CONTRIBUTOR". Please don't use the big brush all the time.

Thnx
  • Reply 3 of 62
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    This is the guy who owns the Washington Times, which is one of the favorite right-leaning newspapers in the country, and that makes him a leading conservative figure--even if many conservatives don't know who he is. If you don't like what he has to say, I suggest you don't read it. Or listen to Limbaugh, who quotes from it frequently.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

This is the guy who owns the Washington Times, which is one of the favorite right-leaning newspapers in the country, and that makes him a leading conservative figure--even if many conservatives don't know who he is. If you don't like what he has to say, I suggest you don't read it. Or listen to Limbaugh, who quotes from it frequently.

Thanks for the info. I did not know he owned the Washington Times. No fear I do not support the Washington Times. The statements of the guy seem to be reckless and have no place in any society.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 62
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    He is indeed "fringe", but at the same time is someone with his fingers on a lot of buttons and his voice in many ears. That's what makes him scary.

With due respect to the many moderate right-wingers, there is also a right-wing fringe in the U.S., and elsewhere, which, instead of being relegated to yelling and screaming from the edges, seems to have the money and influence to gain access to the centres of power. How much actual influence their ideas have I cannot say, but it makes me nervous.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

He is indeed "fringe", but at the same time is someone with his fingers on a lot of buttons and his voice in many ears. That's what makes him scary.

With due respect to the many moderate right-wingers, there is also a right-wing fringe in the U.S., and elsewhere, which, instead of being relegated to yelling and screaming from the edges, seems to have the money and influence to gain access to the centres of power. How much actual influence their ideas have I cannot say, but it makes me nervous.

Yup. And when you combine this with the increasing consolidation of media outlets (Murdoch, Time Warner/AOL, Clear Channel, etc) it gets even creepier.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 7 of 62
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Yup. And when you combine this with the increasing consolidation of media outlets (Murdoch, Time Warner/AOL, Clear Channel, etc) it gets even creepier.

Cheers

Scott

many may not like michael moore, but i will give him credit when asked questions following the toronto film festival showing of "bowling for columbine," he was evaluating canada's policies as to say "canada isn't perfect either" when he said "doesn't it worry anyone here that almost all your media is tied up in one of a couple giant businesses?" (not an exact quote, asit's from memory, but it's close)

just like microsoft, you have to worry when there are only a few controllers of media, not because of "competitive forces" or "balanced media," but rather, what happens when some whacknut gets control of it all?
  • Reply 8 of 62
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Moon and the washinton times have a lot of influence.

The washington times was actually created with the intention of influencing american politics. Moon apparently wants a the world to be ruled by a theocracy, and uses media outlet worldwide to push towards this goal.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Great posts, Northgate, midwinter, Chinney, rok, and giant.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Is this the "Reverend" Moon? Isn't that guy just a crackpot? This is the first time I've seen him associated as a "player" with American conservatives instead of just being associated with other fringe nut jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Is this the "Reverend" Moon? Isn't that guy just a crackpot? This is the first time I've seen him associated as a "player" with American conservatives instead of just being associated with other fringe nut jobs.

Yes. This is the Reverend Moon, founder and leader of the Moonies. He is also the owner and publisher of The Washington Times.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

I should point out that because of the way the US political system works, anyone or anything (i.e. businesses) with money, really, is a player in that system.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:

You heard of Koreagate?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, I don't know if I'd call him a "leading conservative," but he's definitely a big player in the Republican party.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:

I should point out that because of the way the US political system works, anyone or anything (i.e. businesses) with money, really, is a player in that system.

And then there's this:

Quote:

Bush Praises Sun Myung Moon as 'Man of Vision'

07:10 Nov 25, 1996 EST

BUENOS AIRES

(Reuter) -

The South Korean evangelist Sun Myung Moon launched a new Spanish-language newspaper for the whole of Latin America this weekend, with the backing of guest George Bush who praised Moon's respect for editorial independence. The former U.S. president, guest speaker at a banquet Saturday to launch Moon's new publication ``Tiempos del Politics Mundo'' (Times of the World), was full of praise for the controversial evangelist's best-known newspaper, the Washington Times, and referred to Moon as ``the man with the vision.'' Bush then travelled with Moon to neighboring Uruguay Sunday to help him inaugurate a seminary in the capital Montevideo to train 4,200 young Japanese women to spread the word of his Church of Unification across Latin America.

Moon already owns a major newspaper, bank and hotel in Uruguay and is buying up land in the Argentine province of Corrientes, where he plans to construct what his followers call ``ideal cities''.

``I want to salute Reverend Moon who is the founder of the Washington Times and of the new paper here,'' said Bush, who was reported by the Washington Post to have been paid $100,000 for his Buenos Aires appearance.

``A lot of my friends in South America don't know about the Washington Times but it is an independent voice,'' said Bush. ''The editors of the Washington Times tell me that never once has the man with the vision interfered with the running of the paper, a paper that in my view brings sanity to Washington DC.''

``I am convinced that Tiempos del Mundo is going to do the same thing,'' said Bush, who managed to avoid being photographed with the 76-year-old South Korean evangelist during his whole stay in Buenos Aires.

Bush was staying at Argentine President Carlos Menem's official Olivos residence, and there was a place reserved at the top table for Menem. But Menem, who met Moon secretly last year, snubbed him this time on the advice of foreign policy and religious policy aides.

Argentina's influential Catholic Church takes issue with Moon's portrayl of himself as an incarnation of God fulfilling the mission of Christ. Critics say he brainwashes the vulnerable into joining him and some countries, such as Germany, consider him a threat to public order and refuse him an entry visa.

In his speech at the Tiempos del Mundo launch, Moon made a bitter reference to the 11 months he spent in prison in the United States for tax evasion, saying he had ``overcome significant persecution'' in that country.

Before his speech titled ``In Search of the Origin of the Universe,'' Moon promised his new paper would ``provide the most edifying reports in every aspect...promoting harmony and reverting the tendency towards disbelief.''

The first edition showed a tendency to optimistic headlines, its cover showing an elated President Bill Clinton over the headline ``The North Moves Closer to the South.''

Its Texan editor, Larry Moffitt, told Reuters the newspaper would come out on Sundays at first ``but go daily very quickly'' via satellite transmissions to editorial centers in 10 countries, including Argentina.

``Within a year we hope to be in every country in the hemisphere,'' Moffitt said. His circulation goals are ambitious: ``There are 300 million Spanish speaking people in the hemisphere. That sounds like a good number.''

Meanwhile Moon was in full flow, asking his 700 guest such penetrating questions as ``why do sexual organs exist?'' and ''when you defecate, do you wear a gas mask?''

Bush has been a paid speaker for moon on numerous occasions.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

many may not like michael moore, but i will give him credit when asked questions following the toronto film festival showing of "bowling for columbine," he was evaluating canada's policies as to say "canada isn't perfect either" when he said "doesn't it worry anyone here that almost all your media is tied up in one of a couple giant businesses?" (not an exact quote, asit's from memory, but it's close)

just like microsoft, you have to worry when there are only a few controllers of media, not because of "competitive forces" or "balanced media," but rather, what happens when some whacknut gets control of it all?

Exactly right (no pun intended). A big part of the private media in Canada is concentrated in a few hands. These hands tend to be right-wing, but more moderate right-wing than Moon, certainly (at least since Conrad Black sold his controlling interests in Canada). This is counteracted, to some extent, by a public broadcaster (CBC) that tends, I will admit, to have a somewhat liberal bias.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, that speech read like the ramblings of a lunatic.

although you have to love a movement with a "Dr. Kwak" at its head.

and he and Bush are tight:

Quote:

There was an appt with Bush, I did not go. There is an ignorant farmer in Brazil as president now. He wanted to meet with me, but I would not go. When they apologize I might meet them.

the guy is nuts. he may own a paper, but there's no way he's working as any kind of editor. that crap is nuttier than a two year old who ate chunky peanut butter.

if he was in charge/leading that paper anywhere it would be unreadable.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

You assume that it is readable now.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 19 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the guy is nuts. he may own a paper, but there's no way he's working as any kind of editor. that crap is nuttier than a two year old who ate chunky peanut butter.

The better question to ask is what exactly is his role as owner of a major newspaper? How does his ownership influence the newspaper? Let's not assume things we don't know.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    what baffles me is the thought that this gentleman believes what he is doing, or what he wants done ('eliminate gays') is justified by religion. this is a guy who probably thinks he is a good, god-loving and prayful person, when in reality i would view him as almost evil. it just floors me that people can have beliefs like this. it isn't even christian, it's just insane.