Fighting in hockey

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    If I had known there had been some Domi-Bashing going on in here I would have quickly run to his defense. I'll admit that Domi isn't the fighter he used to be, but that is more because the Leafs are full of players willing to drop the gloves.

And no one should bring up Sandy McCarthy. He is the ultimate pussy. Domi refused to fight McCarthy in that Philly series because after Domi dropped that bitch for Nth time McCarthy claimed that the Domi had called him some racial slur. After that, Domi said he would never fight him again....until last week when the two dropped their mitts for the first time since. And guess what happened? McCarthy turtlled. Fast. Whatever. Domi rules.

Edit: Shockingly, I found a link to McCarthy showing us how to properly turtle during a fight. Sorry, WMV.

http://hockey-fights.com/videos/2004...miMcCarthy.wmv

And it is a bad idea when skilled players fight. At the beginning of last season Iginla and Guerin fought, Iginla screwed up his hand and really hasn't been the same since. Leave the fights to the enforcers.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

A couple of good tilts, the crowd goes nuts. Then we get a fight by the bench, then a couple of others go, next thing you know it's a line brawl. Like a wedding party sharing the first dance, we've got 5 pairs of guys going toe to toe. The place was going INSANE. Bigger cheers than the goals were getting.

Fighting is a part of hockey, plain and simple. To anyone who thinks it's too rough, bad for the game... either grow yourself a ball sack and drop some testicles into it, or start watching figure skating.

I seem to recall similar reasoning for adding more lions to the games in the Roman Coliseum. Not just mere fist fights, but major bloodshed, live evisceration, limbs torn asunder. The crowds really went for that stuff. Those were real games. Quite popular. Hockey might as well be figure skating by comparison.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I hate the NHL, but I watch Olympic Ice Hockey. Why? No fights. It's really lame when you see some of the smaller hockey leagues out there use fighting as the main attraction.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    deleted
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Putting on the Foil!

Old Time Hockey!

Shit, you beat me to it.

"What are you guys doing?"

"Foilin' up, coach! Want Some?"

Aggressive Hockey is Back in Town.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Hi Murbot - The first time I saw the movie 'Romeo and Juliet', I was shocked to find that I got turned on (sexually) during the sword fight scene! (I know that's not hockey; but, whatever...) I think what turned me on was that the whole thing was so very MALE - the fury, the aggression, the assertiveness, the passion, the dynamism.

I'm a big fan of the male of the species, for his strength, courage, and his 'taking action' when needed. Sigh.

I think sports provide a good outlet for all that latent male aggression that has to go underground at home and at work. Whaddaya think, eh?

Carol

PS So do you live in Saskatchewan? I think I remember seeing Medicine Hat on the map once on one of my trips.

Please take your rape fantasy elsewhere, you're supposed to be interested in the sensitive male.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Whoa! Glad I decided to stick my nose into the forums tonight! [TheDuke]Why a hockey thread without the Moogs is like a summer day without sunshine, pilgrim![/TheDuke]... or at least I'd like to think so.

My take:

1) Domi is a skating orifice (take your pick). Though I despise the Leafs, I much prefer Belak in this regard. He could beat Domi's ass (and just about anyone else's ass) all over the rink when he has a mind to. Domi should be donated to science; he's the Missing Link.

2) Fighting -- under certain pretenses -- is a very necessary part of the game. However, IMO, most fights in the NHL fall under the "yah the game is over, and we're sending our goon to have a hug-fest with your goon" variety (which suck). Those kinds of fights are not based on any real emotion or rivalry or need; I call it the "WWF Effect". If you start that kind of fight you should get a game misconduct and a fine.

The fights that are good (dare I say needed) are the afore-mentioned "If you cheap shot one of our stars, we're going to send Belak / Laraque / Brookbank to come over there and beat the living crap out of you!" But as I say, they're rare. Another good type of fight is the "hated playoff rival" fight where guys like Darren McCarty and Adam Foote square off, simply because they've been poking and jabbing and taking runs at each other all night and just want to get it done.

3) I wasn't kidding about Domi: he sucks.

• Reply 28 of 39
    deleted
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Somehow Domi knows that in the deepest pits of the internet he has been maligned. And so tonight he'll get the Gordie Howe Hat Trick. And during the post-game interview he'll say, "all you internet geeks can suck it. I rule!"

I know his best days are behind him but he was the best fighter in hockey for a long time.

Time for HNIC.

• Reply 30 of 39
    I'd love to see Stevens pound his ass into the ice.

Grapes was classic tonight "Well I'll go ahead and say it; If weeda had all four of those NHL stars in the Juniors, it wouldn't have been a contest".

WAhhhhh! Yah, if if the US had those former Junior stars Amonte and Roenick and Modano, it wouldn't have been a contest either. They're NHLers for a reason, and BTW, Fleury is an NHL goalie. Man that guy cracks me up... "A Little LEVITY ya know!"

Still, his Crusty the Clown comment will go down in lore as one of the greats. The only reason he didn't mind Alfy's immitation of Sundin, is because Sundin is not Canadian. Had he been, Grapes would've bitched Alf up and down for that one.

• Reply 31 of 39
    Tonight was the first time in a long time Grapes didn't piss me off. He really seems to be losing what little sanity he had left.

I want Alfredson to die a slow painful death as much as the next guy but I liked his taunt for the sole reason that it'll make the next Leafs/Sens game that much more vicious. As if the 7-1 drubbing wasn't enough.

I'd love a Stevens-Domi tilt but Jersey is playing their bore-the-oppenent -to-death game tonight. Damn you Neutral Zone Trap!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 39
    As opposed to their "Drown the opponent under a slew of goals" game?

• Reply 33 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    New year's resolution: use more smilies.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

New year's resolution: use more smilies.

Humph.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    What are you saying, that I use smilies too often, thereby reducing their effect? What if I use ASCII-smiles?

You bastard! >: /

Kidding.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

What are you saying, that I use smilies too often, thereby reducing their effect? What if I use ASCII-smiles?

You bastard! >: /

Kidding.

Moogs - I think his resolution is for himself to use more smilies.

I think he would be well-advised to do so.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Don't sweat it Carol, you just haven't been around long enough to know Matsu. His humor is sometimes very subtle, unless he's talking about iMac pricing or something. heh heh

• Reply 38 of 39
    murbot dude they just don't understand... one of our clients at where I work is a hockey team, and its tough to get ticket sales for us down here in austin, we need more canadians... heh. Next they'll be saying no more violence in hockey, no you can't eat meat, and no, no handguns! And be sure to take your prozac, and tell everyone you love them ok... When will people understand that violence is a part of life, whether fists are being thrown or a corporate takeover the end result is the same... you are either kicking ass or getting your ass kicked.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Don't sweat it Carol, you just haven't been around long enough to know Matsu. His humor is sometimes very subtle, unless he's talking about iMac pricing or something. heh heh

Well.....okay. 8) (a fair representation of the gamut of emotions I experience while on this board)

PS Did you ever receive the year's supply of beer I sent up to you as a bribe (to avoid Strike 3?) hehe. NO??? Damn!