longhorn-redmond copy cats strike again

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
microsoft has announced that the name of the longhorn (and eventual real version come 2020 or something?) interface is Indigo, these jerks duplicate mac, and badly i might add, every os release! they even joke about coping off of apple in this msdn video, sometrhing like "gee you need a latee(spelling, i dont do coffee) a black turtle neck and a powermac" I AM NOT KIDDING!!!!!

heres a link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/epi...b/manifest.xml

the copying is so obvious, doesnt apple have software pattents, cant they enforce them? i mean windows is ok but nothing new ever comes out of there they just make a lisensable version of a watered down piss-ant rip-off of mac-os

just my 2 cents, why doesnt apple do an ad campeign about being like 5 yrs. ahead of windows at all times in the last 20 years

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    fear me, for i shall copy all of your ideas and make them my own.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Longhorn will blow, just like everything else MS makes.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ah, well, it's better that their copying, it truly shows that they are always 3 steps behind Mac. As long as we keep up, they'll always be left in the dust.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Why is that guy sitting on the other's lap???

Queer Eye for the UI...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, well b/c it's using M$ media player, I won't bother to see it. I'll just say "Hey M$ you have 3 years to copy the interface, and you still can't get it right!"
  • Reply 6 of 22
    "You know I have a black beret on order." WTF, AhAHAHHahAHHahhaa.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Longhorn will blow, just like everything else MS makes.

That's what I've been saying since the first mentions of longhorn came around a while ago. It will suck. It will be virus prone, it will be unstable, and it will try to copy Apple's UI in every way, but fail miserably. MS is a joke, so is their software.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey, I can't get that video to open...installed the latest version of Windoze Media Player and made sure the WMP plug-in is in the Library/Internet Plugins folder and still can't get it to work....any tips you guys? How about some screen caps?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    As much as I'd like to just close this thread... I'm going to move it into General Discussion, for that is where it should be.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Hey, I can't get that video to open...installed the latest version of Windoze Media Player and made sure the WMP plug-in is in the Library/Internet Plugins folder and still can't get it to work....any tips you guys? How about some screen caps?

It's MSDN TV. I would expect it only works within IE for Windows. I wouldn't even expect it to work within any other Windows browser.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Isn't indigo a shade of blue? Kinda...like...aqua?

Anyone besides me think that if the OS X interface was called Mustard, Longhorn's would be Mayonnaise? Or Horseradish? Or Ketchup, at the very least?

Do they even try to be somewhat subtle and sly, or is always this obvious?

I'm not a gratuitous Microsoft basher/hater (I own Office v.X, after all and I used IE for years and like it just fine), but they're just really ridiculous on a certain level.

Seriously, is there no one there at Microsoft who, when the name "indigo" came up at a late-night meeting, simply spoke up and said "hey, you know what guys? I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but that's getting REALLY close to Apple's name for their OS X UI, Aqua. How about we think on this one a little more, okay? I mean, for God's sake...let's at least make a ****ing effort for once! There are about half a bazillion words out there we can use...how about we NOT choose one that's a $%@%#@ mother$#$#ing shade of blue?!?!?! Just HUMOR ME, for once! PLEASE?!?! Think with all this $#@% brainpower assembled in this #!#%@ room, we can choose SOMETHING not so easily linked to those iDiots in Cupertino?!?! Those Mac zealots on their little message boards are going to rip us to shreads!"

Apparently not.

Anyone else want to wager against me that they'll soon unveil an "innovative, nothing else like it!" windows management system with an "é" worked into the name somehow?

Uncovér

Displayé

Unvéil

Mové

Exposéd

Idiots. I mean, honestly...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I wouldn't get too excited, it's really something to be glad out, that MS is following Apple. Apple at least shows a magnanimous if somewhat proud attitude about it themselves. Obviously, it can be frustrating when a lot people just wait for these things to show up in Windows, and especially when blind devotees of MS claim everything as better or an original feature of Windows.

Apple has done its fair share of apparent co-opting from Windows, if often through the OpenStep OS or for compatibility/familiarity purposes in fact.

For some stuff like Expose (sorry, no accent, it's a PITA on a Windows machine right now), I wonder what IP Apple has on this and other such devices.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    But the unfortunate thing is that because there are SO MANY people out there that use Windows and don't have a clue what the Mac interface looks like or is called, those same ignorant people will think that Microsoft was the original innovator of the idea.

"Microsoft does such a good job at making Windows look so nice," they'll say.

"Apple did it 3 years ago," we'll reply.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmmm.

Everything I can find on MS' site, and otherwise, states that Indigo is the name for the Longhorn communications services layer, not the UI.

Now, that com layer can be/is used for creating a GUI locally or remotely, so in that sense it's a UI layer, but it's not the name of the actual look and feel, like Aqua is.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Also, the choice of blue is hardly surprising. Blue is most people's favorite color, and it's almost universally acknowledged as soothing and uplifting. So if you're going to have an accent color, it's probably going to be blue. In fact, Windows has used blue as a default accent color for years and years now.

Re: Longhorn, I'm far more worried about the DRM and licensing strategies MS will build in than whether they've decided to nab a few of Apple's ideas. After all, given their own ideas, who can blame them for borrowing?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    From IEEE Spectrum, Jan 2004, their special "Winners, Losers, and Holy Grails" issue.

MS appears once.

Guess under what heading?

Loser: A Dog Named SPOT... when Microsoft stops imitating, and starts innovating, watch out.

SPOT is Smart Personal Objects Technology... you know, those refrigerator magnets?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hmmm.

Everything I can find on MS' site, and otherwise, states that Indigo is the name for the Longhorn communications services layer, not the UI.

Now, that com layer can be/is used for creating a GUI locally or remotely, so in that sense it's a UI layer, but it's not the name of the actual look and feel, like Aqua is.

close enough, and they only include a command line coder, nothing like apple or the visual basic gui builder

wtf wants to do a command-line gui build?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I ain't buyin' it, amorph. I do agree, and understand, the blue thing.

But I still maintain that if Aqua was instead called Sourdough, Microsoft would see fit to call their take on it Pumpernickel.

It's not the "blue" at issue here. Besides, I think Apple's Aqua seems more for its watery, slick, glossy qualities than any outright "blue" connections.

But I might be wrong on that.

Oh man...I'm channeling Nebagakid...

• Reply 19 of 22
    mmmmmm, Pumpernickel, droool

i am channeling homer....my hero and role model for life (my poor unfortunate kids)

g
  • Reply 20 of 22
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I believe Avalon is the name of Longhorn's UI layer.