Honestly, on average how many calories do you consume a day?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I would have to say on average, around 1,800 to 2,300. I eat a lot of protein considering I lift and run a lot and need to make sure to maintain muscle mass.

Today I ate...

Balance Bar for breakfast.

Balance Bar, Turkey Sandwhich, Granola Bar, Skim Milk, and a Pear for lunch.

Protein Shake, Protein Bar for dinner.

After work I had another balance bar and a bowl of low carb Kashi cereal.

All in all thats probably around....1700 calores today....ALL I DRINK IS WATER.

How about you Apple crazies, maybe there's something in the water?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I would have to say I'm up in the 2,500 area, and that's just a guess...I really have no idea. I eat a well balanced diet, I stay away from junk food, and I workout 5 times a week. I keep my calorie intake higher than I would if I wasn't working out so much so I don't loose too much weight. I don't mess around with any high protein or low carb crap, just well balanced. All I drink is water, with the occasional glass of fruit juice or milk, no coffee, tea, pop, or anything caffeinated.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Balance Bar for breakfast.

Balance Bar, Turkey Sandwhich, Granola Bar, Skim Milk, and a Pear for lunch.

Protein Shake, Protein Bar for dinner.

After work I had another balance bar and a bowl of low carb Kashi cereal.

Why don't you try eating some food, Macintosh. It's good. One of the great joys of life.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why don't you try eating some food, Macintosh. It's good. One of the great joys of life.

I must admit while at work I enjoyed some twizzlers, a rare candy treat for me...

I do eat man, just stuff thats good for me and wont put bad weight on. I'm very regimented and religious about what goes in my body, regardless of what it looks like when it comes out, lol omg gross.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Back when I was keeping track of such things, 2500-3000 calories per day. But I was working out regularly and kept my weight down to 175 lbs, thin for my build and 6' height.

Now... I have no idea. I doubt I consume many more calories than I used to (I eat more per meal, but snack much less than I did when more active), but the pounds have piled up from lack of regular exercise.

I wish I didn't hate exercise as much as I do. I don't know how I managed to stick with my routine for the whole 7+ years that I kept myself in good shape, because I was hungry a lot of that time and enjoyed nothing about exercising but the relief of stopping at the end of my workouts.

I know for the sake of my health I should start back up again, but I know what I'm in for, and I know quite well the only the end results were good, but that the process for me was awful.

(I highly recommend that anyone so inclined to do so skip the "You've got to find something you enjoy doing..." bit. If you think that's the issue, you don't get where I'm coming from!)
  • Reply 5 of 35
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Probably not enough.

6 feet tall, 160 pounds = fear my mighty muskles.

• Reply 6 of 35
    Breakfast=Coffee and Cigarettes

Lunch=Hamburger and Fries

Dinner=Hot Dogs, Chips and a huge piece of cake

How many calories is that?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Way too ****ing many.

Today's meal plan:

brunch:

2-egg omelette with turkey, avocado & pico de gallo

small OJ w/ water

dinner:

King Ranch chicken, borracho beans & spanish rice w/ tomato

chocolate cake w/ vanilla bean ice cream

Actually... today wasn't too bad.

I LOVE food. I cannot imagine a life of Balance bars and protein shakes. Just ****ing kill me first, it's like being a goddam machine, to me.

Balance bars are for when the convenience store is out of turkey sandwiches.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    i used to eat alot of crap, but recently i have been alot better, ever since my mom got sick, and i have been eating pretty much all natural foods, no soda, no candy, or extra crap.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    dunno...but this is a good 'article'

http://www.cockeyed.com/science/food/food1.html
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I must admit while at work I enjoyed some twizzlers, a rare candy treat for me...

I do eat man, just stuff thats good for me and wont put bad weight on. I'm very regimented and religious about what goes in my body, regardless of what it looks like when it comes out, lol omg gross.

But you're eating too many "bars." I'm married to a registered dietitian, and this is one of the big mistakes she says people make. You should get nutrients from food, not pills or bars or shakes. First of all, they absorb better, so you don't lose most of it. Second, often the food has lots of other good stuff, especially fiber, that the artificial stuff doesn't have. If you eat fruits and veggies to get your vitamins, you also get that good fiber. Third, who wants to eat bars?

If you're really into protein, eat steak for God's sake. Tenderloin is really lean. What could be better than tenderloin? Eat nuts - they're low in saturated fats. Eat food, man.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I haven't counted my caloric intake, but I'm trying to be more careful about my meals. I still go to McDonald's but now I get a McSalad. At least I still get to smell the french fries!

There's a great article in the latest issue of DISCOVER that covers the ideas by the guy who wrote the book Eat, Drink and Be Healthy. It's a critical reassessment of the government's Food Pyramid. Not exactly an easy new way of looking at your diet, but it's got some great eye-openers.

It evaluates things in terms of Glucose Load, the amount of sugar that your body must accommodate from food. It suggests that our bodies operated under elevated production of insulin from the modern (American) diet.

For instance, did you know that a small order of french fries is the equivalent of ingesting 6.5 teaspoons of refined sugar?

The Glycemic Load is based on an index that measures how quickly carbohydrates raise the level of blood sugar.

The article starts on page 43 of the Feb. issue of Discover.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I cannot imagine how crazy I would go if I counted calories each and every time I ate. I eat what I want, when I am hungry. The key for me is moderation, and getting some PT on a daily basis. Like the earlier poster said, enjoy your food thats why it is there, after all you only live once.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

It's a critical reassessment of the government's Food Pyramid.

Aren't the levels of fat and carbs represented by the food pyramid equivalent to the diet used to fatten cattle?
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

For instance, did you know that a small order of french fries is the equivalent of ingesting 6.5 teaspoons of refined sugar?

The Glycemic Load is based on an index that measures how quickly carbohydrates raise the level of blood sugar.

One thing I find myself wondering about when it comes to this "glycemic load" idea is that it would seem to mean that it's not just a matter of what you eat, but how fast you eat it.

French fries might not be a good example (because they're not very good cold), but what about bread and pasta? A lot of low-carb dieters talk about how bad these foods are because of how quickly your body turns them into sugar, thus raising your blood level of sugar.

What happens, however, if you simply eat your bread and pasta more slowly? That's going to spread out any sugar spike just as much, if not more, than choosing a different kind of food for its lower "glycemic index".
  • Reply 15 of 35
    A calorie is a calorie. Your weight = calories you consume - calories you expend. Any theory that tries to make it any more complex than that is trying to sell a book.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

A calorie is a calorie.

Well, actually, a calorie is a kilocalorie... but that's another matter.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Honestly, on average how many calories do you consume a day?

I dunno, never used a bomb calorimeter on my food.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    One thing I have started doing is just cooking everything I eat and pushing out fast food.

I can make my own burger very easily. I can chop up a potato and pan-fry some home fries in properly-pressed (or peanut) oil easily. Bam - burger and fries. And that is easily better for you than what you get at Burger King or wherever. I haven't gotten down the seasonings and such down to where I think they are peak flavor, but that's what it's for.

I watched some thing on TV (maybe the fiancee watching Opera or something) and it had all these people who had gastric bypass surgery. They have to puree food and eat it for a certain period of time. That sounds like some horrible torture.

I love food.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

all these people who had gastric bypass surgery. They have to puree food and eat it for a certain period of time. That sounds like some horrible torture.

yes, one of dante's levels of hell i think is the puree food level

yes, cutting out fast food is a great start...also sodas (even diet soda), white bread and white sugar (they are the devil)

g
  • Reply 20 of 35
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    On average, 1000 to 1200 a day. I'm down 20 lbs in 2 months.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html