Logic Pro 6 is out . . . and $300.00 for students :wow:

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Here it is, with improved 'technologies' . . . I want it and I want to learn how to use it and make stuff . . .

LOGIC PRO 6

anybody gonna plop cash for this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Yeah, looks pretty killer, who was that talking about how they wish apple sold a $300 pro version of garageband 8)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Here it is, with improved 'technologies' . . . I want it and I want to learn how to use it and make stuff . . .

LOGIC PRO 6

anybody gonna plop cash for this?

I'm going to Plop cash for Logic Express to learn the interface, and then upgrade it to Logic Platinum Pro. I think it's going to be 699.00 for for the upgrade from Express.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Well, I'll warn you right now that Logic's interface is so inscrutable that I'd bet money it's going to change in a release or two.

-- Mark
  • Reply 4 of 22
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    If you want the best value in Audio recording you should get MOTU's Deigital Performer 4 for $499. It is after all "the ultimate desktop recording" setup according to Apple (http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/motu/).

Seriously, the interface is a little daunting at first, but ultimately much more rewarding (both creativly and financially) than Logic. Plus, the new version, 4.1, runs incredibly well on OSX.

If you use Reason at all you will benefit from the new integration within DP4.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    No, I think the best value in audio recording is garageband

Also, logic has had reason integration for a while
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

Well, I'll warn you right now that Logic's interface is so inscrutable that I'd bet money it's going to change in a release or two.

-- Mark

Yes, but almost all interfaces are like that at first. Maya, Photoshop, Flash. I remember learning DVD SP2 from the Apple Pro Training Series. They mentioned features similar to Logic in DVD SP2. "Think Pro Application Integration". I'm sure the interface will change by the time Logic Pro 7 comes out, but the Apple Pro Training Series has got to be the most easily understandable set of books I've ever seen. I've Mastered DVD SP2. They make one for Logic, Shake, 2 for FCP, 1 for FCExpress. I shouldn't have any trouble if I get the book. They'll probably come out with one for Logic Express.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yes, but almost all interfaces are like that at first. Maya, Photoshop

I've been using Maya since before the release of 1.0 and the interface has not changed much in that time. Photoshop, if anything, has gone from simple to incomprehensible.

Anyway, the interfaces for Shake, Logic, DVD SP 1.5, DVD SP 2, and Final Cut Pro were all (save for some sharing of widgets between a couple of them) developed by different companies prior to their acquisition by Apple, with no thought whatsoever given to each other.

(Shake, in particular, looked EXACTLY like it does today years before anyone contemplated running it on a Macintosh.)

The reason for my comment that Logic might get better in a couple of releases is that Apple's actively trying to drive these products toward common user interface standards. Still, it won't happen all at once.

-- Mark
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

No, I think the best value in audio recording is garageband

Also, logic has had reason integration for a while

ProTools Free is an even better value than Garage Band.

While I understand that you are joking, you do bring up a good reason to use Digital Performer. Why would someone pay for Logic Express knowing that you would have to pay at least that much ($699?,really?) for an upgrade when you could spend $200 more up front and get the whole package with DP4.

Then again, the interface/ usability means a lot. If you really like the way Logic works, go with that. As Mark suggests, it may get more integrated over the next couple of years.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Where'd you fine that Edu price?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

While I understand that you are joking, you do bring up a good reason to use Digital Performer. Why would someone pay for Logic Express knowing that you would have to pay at least that much ($699?,really?) for an upgrade when you could spend $200 more up front and get the whole package with DP4.

Let's not forget all the plugins and virtual instruments that now are bundled with Logic Pro 6...

the entire synth package, vintage package and reverb come with it now! Very strong package considering the prices of those packages in the Apple store...

but hard to beat the crossover price of $399 for DP4 (i crossed from logic audio!)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

I've been using Maya since before the release of 1.0 and the interface has not changed much in that time. Photoshop, if anything, has gone from simple to incomprehensible.

Anyway, the interfaces for Shake, Logic, DVD SP 1.5, DVD SP 2, and Final Cut Pro were all (save for some sharing of widgets between a couple of them) developed by different companies prior to their acquisition by Apple, with no thought whatsoever given to each other.

(Shake, in particular, looked EXACTLY like it does today years before anyone contemplated running it on a Macintosh.)

The reason for my comment that Logic might get better in a couple of releases is that Apple's actively trying to drive these products toward common user interface standards. Still, it won't happen all at once.

-- Mark

I wasn't implying that all the application interfaces had changed. What I meant was they are all very different. (Maya, Photoshop, Shake) The real point I was getting at was that I don't have problems learning new interfaces as long as there is good documentation on it. I think I'll be able to handle it.

I do totally agree that a more common user interface among similar areas of these applications is what Apple is striving for, along with application Interoperability, and integration. You can totally see that they are trying to get people to learn basics of all of them with the iLife suite.

The part of DVD SP 2 that was compared to Logic in the book, as I recall was the connections menu. A Seriously valuable menu in DVD SP2. Can't live with out it.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Where'd you fine that Edu price?

that must be the express version.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

that must be the express version.

Yup, the $299 is the price for Logic Express. Logic Pro is $999. As of this writing, I can't find anything on Apple's site concerning education discounts for these applications.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Yup, the $299 is the price for Logic Express. Logic Pro is $999. As of this writing, I can't find anything on Apple's site concerning education discounts for these applications.

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/...roduct_ID=3566

Spendy but once Logic Pro is available with Sculpture/Guitar Amp/UltraBeat it will be one hell of a Bundle.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Okay... sounds very good for the aggressive educational price.

ILife '04 $29

GarageBand Jam Pack $79.00

Soundtrack Academic $169.00

Final Cut Pro 4.0 Academic $499.00

Final Cut Pro 4.0 Upgrade from Final Cut Pro $399.00

Logic Platinum 6.0 $699.95 (same as regular)

Logic Platinum 5 - 6 Update $129.95 (same as regular)

Looks like eMagic/Apple doesn't offers sweet deal for academic.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I've been a protools user for years and I guess the writing is on the wall as apple moves in this direction. If they could adapt the '2 window' basic interface of protools, edit and mix window into logic with apple's software/hardware integration, i'd be all over that in a second
  • Reply 17 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musical73

I've been a protools user for years and I guess the writing is on the wall as apple moves in this direction. If they could adapt the '2 window' basic interface of protools, edit and mix window into logic with apple's software/hardware integration, i'd be all over that in a second

I don't think that will happen since emapple is interested in progress.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

ProTools Free is an even better value than Garage Band.

ProTools Free doesn't run on OS X
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

ProTools Free doesn't run on OS X

Yeah and it never will.

Contrary to what Steve says, though, there are still users here who use OS9 or dual booting machines and they should know that the option exists.

Personally I don't like ProTools at all and use MOTU DP 4.1.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Yeah and it never will.

Contrary to what Steve says, though, there are still users here who use OS9 or dual booting machines and they should know that the option exists.

Personally I don't like ProTools at all and use MOTU DP 4.1.

I have two friends who've both used pretty much everything. One says DP is the best, and the other says Nuendo is the most amazing software in the world. I've used both, but I haven't had enough experience with DP to decide which I like better.

My computer can boot OS 9, I just don't like to. 8)