Athlon or Pentium IV?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>athlon.. make sure you get DDR ram... makes the difference.

But, why dont you buy a highend Mac and use VPC for your banking, etc needs?</strong><hr></blockquote> I do not afford it right now However, will VPC run decently on the new iMacs? That could be an option for me maybe
  • Reply 22 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong> I do not afford it right now However, will VPC run decently on the new iMacs? That could be an option for me maybe</strong><hr></blockquote> VPC should run OK on them. Windows XP could be slow but '98 or even ME should be ok
  • Reply 23 of 27
    If you really dont want to buy a Mac. Athlons are much faster than Pentium 4. Athlon computers are also much cooler.

"Master" of the Mac :cool:
  • Reply 24 of 27
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    P4 1.8 northwood does have 400mhz bus while the athlon xp only has 266. So that may be an optino to consider.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    -@--@- Posts: 39member
    Nice to 'read' another Dane. The Seimes PC is probably an OK computer, but you will get a better deal if you buy your computer from a 'real' computer shop as <a href="http://www.shg.dk/shg.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.shg.dk/shg.htm</a>;

They let you choose your own components and their prices are competitive, especially with brand name computers. They sell computers too all of Denmark and is well respected.

Gå ind under produkter og saml selv. Vælg en AMD Duron/Thunderbird computer. Du kan også ringe eller maile dem hvis ikke du kan lide at bruge deres noget besværlige system på hjemmesiden.

If you?re only going to use it for your net bank then a 1 GHz Duron will do nicely enough!

My suggestions are as following:

Motherboard: MSI MS-673 K7n420 Pro ? it is a Nvidia MB and very stable, it comes with a GF2 MX, LAN and high quality sound built in. I believe there is even a TV-Out extension to put into your AGP port, this of course if you don?t upgrade to a better video card. Upgrades its BIOS automatically from the net!

CD-RW Lite-ON, 24/10/40, a nice CDRW, burns every thing at 24 speed! Have one myself and love it.

DVD; if so I recommend the Lite-On x16.

CPU; 1 GHz Duron or the XP1600+/XP1700+ for games.

Floppy (Disk drev): Panasonic/Sony doesn?t matter

Harddisk: Seagate Barracuda 60 GB (nice!)

Video Card: None (there is a GF2 MX built in) or a Palit Daytona GF3 Ti200 for games (these overclock to almost GF3 Ti500 level) Cheap too - with TV-Out I belive, maybe even DVI for a LCD screen.

Don?t buy any IDE controllers

Speakers find one you like at shg or your local shop.

Cabinets are a matter of taste so I will let you pick one your self, you proberbly need to do some investigation on the net at the manufactures. I always choose a cheap one. A 300 watt powersupply is a must though. Don?t choose a desktop cabinet as they tend to get hotter and are harder to work with if and when you choose to upgrade something.

Cooler: Don?t know any of them, but the Molex with the thermostat seems nice at 249,-, talk to the shop on the phone to find one that?s good for the CPU and find one at the noise level which you can stand.

Sound card; none, the soundcard that?s built in the mother board is at least as good as anything Creative makes.

LAN: Built in the mother board again.

RAM: 2x256mb Kingston or Apacer DDR 2100 PC266. Prices are almost the same, Apacer is a bit cheaper. You will need the ram to be in to blocks to make the MSI mother board fly and use the onboard Gf2 MX. Win XP like at least 256 MB and loves 512 MB - choose 512 MB. You will need to call the store and specify your order as you can?t choose two blocks of Ram on the webpage ? ask about the heat sink at the same time.

Mice and Keyboard is a personal choice and can be bought anywhere.

Assembly: Yes please

With everything DVD, XP1700 and the GF3 Ti200 it comes to 9909,-. (Cheap if you ask me)

7140,- with a 1 GHz Duron, no video card upgrade or DVD

I am almost sure that the Seimens comes with SD ram and not DDR ram and it is probably still more expensive.

This machine built only from high quality components and I don?t think the same can be said for the siemens pc.

I choose the Aashima Maxitower (549,-) for this calculation ? there are no mice, keyboard or speaker included in this example.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: -@- ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 27
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Thanks for the link and advice -@-. I'll probably end up shopping there. Not sure if to buy the MSI K7N420 PRO or an ASUS one. I'm told ASUS are more relyable but don't know it first hand.

Tak igen
  • Reply 27 of 27
    -@--@- Posts: 39member
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>Thanks for the link and advice -@-. I'll probably end up shopping there. Not sure if to buy the MSI K7N420 PRO or an ASUS one. I'm told ASUS are more relyable but don't know it first hand.

Tak igen </strong><hr></blockquote>

Glad to be of service! I belive that shg recomends the MSI, look on their web site. The MSI is an exact replica of the nvidia reference motherboard, the ASUS one have a different lan.

Either way MSI or ASUS are both quality MBs. Not sure that the ASUS one offer a TV-Out extension but if you go for a GF3 Ti200 then there are no need for it, or space. I think that 'live' bios (updates itself from the net) is an exclusive MSI feature, but not sure.

-edit-

Be carefull of VIA based boards as there can be trouble with VIA drivers and chipsets. With the new drivers Nvidia based boards are as fast as a VIA 266A based board and they dont have the same disapointing record of trouble. With a nvidia based board you can be sure of excelent drivers.

-edit-

Good luck with your buy.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: -@- ]</p>