Happy MLK Day!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    ast3r3x,

I think making a statement like the percent of racism in the south is higher than in the north is ignoring a few crucial features of the two regions. I am from the south and have attended school in the north, my parents are also from the north so this comes from a true understanding of both regions. Whereas in the urban domain of the north the communities of whites and blacks are separated by highways, economics, literal walls, the more rural south has less such barriers. My upper middle class/lower high class neighborhood is literally next door to a long lasting black community. We shop in the same stores, go to the same schools, see each-other on the street. While racism is evident from certain populations, mostly older southern whites, in general there is no mystery between the two major groups, blacks and whites live together. In comparison, the north is much more segregated. Racist older people dont act perhaps on their biases but they have them. Even educated people my age (mid 20s), are characteristically afraid to go into a staunch middle class black neighborhood because the "crime is higher there". Racism is pervasive in the north. It is unchallenged. I would say racism and the biases that define it are more pervasive in communities where the populations can avoid each-other. The fact is the populations of minorities and whites in the north are much more heterogeneous than the south.

billybobsky
  • Reply 22 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I just found out that one of my coworker's rather went to Morehouse with Martin Luther King. He has a graduation photo with his father and MLK in it.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I just found out that one of my coworker's rather went to Morehouse with Martin Luther King. He has a graduation photo with his father and MLK in it.

Wow! Can you imagine the late-night bull sessions in the dorm?!?!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    His father was a math major. There were about 100 people in the class. So he says his father knew of MLK but didn't know him that well.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

One of my favorite parts of the Declaration of Independence is the line We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

one little thing i just learned... apparently, thomas jefferson originally penned the phrase "We hold these truths to be sacred..." and benjamin frankiln got him to change it to self-evident. even ben franklin in his day was one forward-thinking guy to have suggested a change like that.

anyway, thought i would share.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Interesting. I think "self-evident" is better than "sacred". What's sacred to one person is meaningless to another.