Other new things at the Expo?

tcotco
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We've all been discussing the possibility of new processors, DDR ram, new buses, and LCD screens. What I want to know is, what else do you think we may see? A few posts here and there have hinted at new methods of user interface control, and I believe it.

I don't know if it will be in full force this January, but I'm sure its coming. I say this because I know that a recently released Apple product was supposed to incorporate something along these lines, but didnt quite make it. I'm not going to spill it, because its not worth getting in trouble over, and it wasn't related to functionality. It was just one of those very cool touches that would only show up in an Apple product.

Additionally, I still think we're going to see an integrated webcam in the LCD iMac.

Anyone else have any thoughts/guesses along these lines?

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: TCO ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I suggested in my FINAL Predictions thread that the following could be a "one more thing" product that we never saw coming.

Apple's NEW Pro Speakers"

-- 2 speakers in each side: full-range in compact enclosure (tiny soundsticks)

-- Crystal clear enclosure

-- 6-pin Firewire based: power to spk. & FW ports for easy desktop access to iPod, DV camcorders, FW-based digicams, ext. drives (extending digital hub idea)

-- Can be plugged into iPod for full-range sound, powered by iPod (reduces to 4 hrs. max battery playback)

-- For OS X 10.1.3 & 9.2.3 or higher, available immediately.

-- Comes with new Power Mac G4's or available for $79 from Apple Stores.

Gotta admit, it's kind of a cool idea.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 33
    I don't know if it will be in full force this January, but I'm sure its coming. I say this because I know that a recently released Apple product was supposed to incorporate something along these lines, but didnt quite make it. I'm not going to spill it, because its not worth getting in trouble over, and it wasn't related to functionality. It was just one of those very cool touches that would only show up in an Apple product. -TCO

You mean the iPod's remote control feature? I think you mean a way to control your devices from one universal remote kind of thing.

• Reply 3 of 33
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    [quote]You mean the iPod's remote control feature? I think you mean a way to control your devices from one universal remote kind of thing.<hr></blockquote>

No no, nothing like that... this isnt something that has been rumored, and like I said it's not key to the functionality of the device.

BTW, I'm not saying we wont see a universal remote, I'm just saying thats not what I'm talkin about.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Touchscreen interactivity?

I have heard that Apple has some hand held units being used for control purposes in Apple headquarters.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Don't forget Apple has had some touch-screen iMacs for education purchase only. They cost around $2500 or something, but no one hardly ever talked about them.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>Don't forget Apple has had some touch-screen iMacs for education purchase only. They cost around $2500 or something, but no one hardly ever talked about them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats b/c they were not made by apple. Some company incorperated a USB touchscreen into the imacs, it was wickedly expensive and marginally useful I would say. Not that great.

-Paul
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Touchscreen interactivity?

I have heard that Apple has some hand held units being used for control purposes in Apple headquarters.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Touchscreen interactivity?

I have heard that Apple has some hand held units being used for control purposes in Apple headquarters.</strong><hr></blockquote>

they're called Newtons
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Apple supposedly has handheld devices used only in the HQ. I know people that have had to sign NDA's when going to see these "in progress" things at Apple. They are not Newtons. I have just been told that there are some cool unreleased gadgets sitting around at Apple. I have no idea if this is true or not but I know that it is a real possibility.

I am not trying to stir the shit storm.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Apple supposedly has handheld devices used only in the HQ. I know people that have had to sign NDA's when going to see these "in progress" things at Apple. They are not Newtons. I have just been told that there are some cool unreleased gadgets sitting around at Apple. I have no idea if this is true or not but I know that it is a real possibility.

I am not trying to stir the shit storm.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

they're newtons and sony touch screen remotes for tvs, stereos and lights
  • Reply 11 of 33
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    I think Apple will release iPhoto, a consumer version of Photoshop. I believe this is partly why Adobe is being stubborn in its release for an OS X native version of Photoshop. That and export to PDF didn't float too well with them. Although, if Apple were to release iPhoto, it would be marked as a consumer product, like iTunes or iMovie. Graphics professionals would continue to use Photoshop. The real reason that I don't think Adobe has created OS X native products for most of its product line is because graphics and media professionals don't jump to upgrade all of their equipment to the latest and greatest every time something new comes out. Adobe will eventually develop for OS X. Be patient.

So my predictions for "other" things are iPhoto and possibly a firewire based digital camera. I draw these conclusions from Jobs' release of the iPod. He stated that the four uses of the personal computer were for music, DVDs, movies, and photos. And he showed a pie chart in four pieces that had iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, and Photos. iPhoto would seem a natural filler to that remaining piece. The firewire camera comes from the 10.1.2 update that adds support for Firewire digital cameras.

These are all opinions I have drawn from various readings and interpretations.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

they're newtons and sony touch screen remotes for tvs, stereos and lights </strong><hr></blockquote>

Those Sony remotes are cool! I'd buy one, especially since EVERYTHING in my entertainment center is Sony. The only problem is they are at least $130 US. Ouch.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    How about things which plug into the iPod? That gadget is awfully overpowered (and overpriced) to just be an MP3 player. 5 Gb disk, StrongARM processor, FireWire interface... it feels like it has a lot more potential.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>How about things which plug into the iPod? That gadget is awfully overpowered (and overpriced) to just be an MP3 player. 5 Gb disk, StrongARM processor, FireWire interface... it feels like it has a lot more potential.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was wondering about this.

What if Apple makes a camera module (CCD, lens, flash, etc.) that plugs onto the iPod, which becomes the storage for the images. With 5GB, that's a lot of images or even short video clips.

Attaching the iPod to your Mac launches iTunes. Attaching the digicam+iPod launches iPhoto.

Screed
  • Reply 15 of 33
    zon7zon7 Posts: 41member
    They say they are going to show us an "powerful, user-friendly, and eye-catching" product.Does anyone remember the words Steve use to describe the iPod before show it? Could these tips be refered to iMac? I don't think it
  • Reply 16 of 33
    [quote]I was wondering about this.

What if Apple makes a camera module (CCD, lens, flash, etc.) that plugs onto the iPod, which becomes the storage for the images. With 5GB, that's a lot of images or even short video clips.

Attaching the iPod to your Mac launches iTunes. Attaching the digicam+iPod launches iPhoto.<hr></blockquote>

I, along with some others here, have held out that possibility for awhile. THe only thing against a module that plugs into the iPod, is that it doesnt really look like its built for that. One never knows, but it would seem to be far more likely if the iPod's design suggested some type of attachment for an external module of some bulk.

Here's another thought. People have been clamoring for another full-size external drive bay in the tower. I'm also sure that other people, who will buy the same machine (yes, the same machine) aren't looking for a big ol' tower taking up tons of room. So I'm thinking it's time for an expandable drive bay, out the top of the machine. Think of the existing tower. Now imagine if you pushed on the top of the tower and it popped up exactly the size of a 5 1/4 bay. I'm imagining something spring loaded with a stop at either end. Push, pop. Push again, click, locked down. So as not to look crappy, it would take a bit of modification to the existing case design. Of course, the new cases could look completely different, but its still a feature I'd like to see in ANY case, be it PC or Mac. I'm actually really sick of the typical rigid computer case.

I'll also tell you my super-expanding idea if you like
  • Reply 17 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by TCO:

<strong>

I, along with some others here, have held out that possibility for awhile. THe only thing against a module that plugs into the iPod, is that it doesnt really look like its built for that. One never knows, but it would seem to be far more likely if the iPod's design suggested some type of attachment for an external module of some bulk.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The iPod is perfectly built for it... plug in a FireWire cable, drop it into your pocket and run the cable to the camera (or whatever) module.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    [quote]The iPod is perfectly built for it... plug in a FireWire cable, drop it into your pocket and run the cable to the camera (or whatever) module.<hr></blockquote>

Naw, man, I understand that. That was the first thing I proposed on this forum, awhile back. In that case though, it's not a module, it's an independent device which CAN use the iPod, instead of a device designed to work exclusively with it. At which point, you have to include internal storage at the very least, driving up the price point among other things.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    iPhoto is no more. Development has stopped at a near complete status, due to the now strengthening relationship between our company and Adobe.

Originally, it was being developed partly due to image capture integration (note the hooks that are already in there for PS7, look carefully), partly due to "digital hub" idea, and partly due to Adobe's PS7 being some ways off.

Unfortunately it was leaked to the public that relations between the 2 A's was weakening, however my boss rectified this. Adobe wanted several things. Time and patience on Apples behalf, new code (OS10.1), and removal of iPhoto, perceived as a significant threat to PS LE.

Steve did as asked. Now there is no iPhoto. In return, Adobe stationed more engineers on the X porting teams, and thus Apple will have their pro apps out sooner for X.

iPhoto was cool... my boss loved it... but it was worth the sacrifice. Forget iPhoto.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What are you? One of these?