New 970 FX details from macrumors...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now, this info would explain the rumor that the 750VX is going to power the iBooks, without mention to the Powerbook line. Of course... there is already a high end chip for the Powerbooks.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Anyone notice that the supported bus speed has gone up from 1.0Ghz to 1.1Ghz only?

This either means the 970FX currently tops out at 2.2Ghz or they are going to more flexible multipliers.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

This either means the 970FX currently tops out at 2.2Ghz or they are going to more flexible multipliers.

Or there are things they don't say yet.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Yup, notice they list the speed at 2.0Ghz+? IBM doesnt want to steal Apple's thunder here. I wonder if this came as a shock to Apple or if IBM spent all their updating time getting the power numbers down. Compare this to an intel mobile chip. Anyone have numbers
  • Reply 25 of 79
    If I recall correctly, IBM will introduce the 65-nm-970s sometime in February? Does anybody know the excat date?

I guess that Apple will release new G5-hardware (PowerMacs in particular) before or around that date as they did with the original G5 introduction where IBM had a press conference shortly after the keynote.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

If I recall correctly, IBM will introduce the 65-nm-970s sometime in February? Does anybody know the excat date?

February 2005?
  • Reply 27 of 79
    From the register:

Quote:

According the Xbit Labs story, the 1.8GHz Dothan consumes up to 31W, rather more than Banias' 24.5W, despite being fabbed at 90nm rather than 130nm.

So it looks like the 970FX beats the Intel mobile processor for power consumption.

And I think that the 867 G4 powering my 12" is rated at about 18W. These new 970s seem to be easily within power consumption limits for laptops (at around the sweet spot for the next upgrade 1.4-2.0 GHz).

• Reply 28 of 79
    Intel have some serous problems with their 90 nm procsess. It doesn't save power at all, and the processors runs even hotter than its predecessor. Dothan and Prescott shows this clearly.

An no.. IBM willl NOT introduce its 65 nm fab this february. I would guess that second half of 2005 is more accurate.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Actually... watch for the 65nm later this year.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    5800 Dhrys may be a typo because 8500 sounds about right at ~ 2.0 Ghz.

• Reply 31 of 79
    If I remember reading correctly somewhere that IBM is in parallel development for Apple on the G6. Could this happen in time for the start of the Fall semester?

Edited to add a "?" mark where it belongs.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Intel have some serous problems with their 90 nm procsess. It doesn't save power at all, and the processors runs even hotter than its predecessor. Dothan and Prescott shows this clearly.

An no.. IBM willl NOT introduce its 65 nm fab this february. I would guess that second half of 2005 is more accurate.

Maybe they'll contract IBM to produce their 0.09µm chips, just like, well, it seems like everyone else is?
  • Reply 33 of 79
    ...one other point noted in the IBM PDF - pg 9.

The junction temp limits of the 970FX are 20 degrees higher than the current 970. This is a good amount. This is the chip temperature, the heatsink/case will be considerably lower.

This means that the chip runs at higher temperatures reliably, creating a relaxation of thermal management in applications like laptops. May make them uncomfortable though...

I'm not sure what the G4 operating range was...

lb
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

5800 Dhrys may be a typo because 8500 sounds about right at ~ 2.0 Ghz.

5800 Dhrys is correct, it's the other figure that's incorrect. Just dig up the ancient PDF from 2002, the 1.8 has 5220 Dhrys.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The only variable in all of this PowerBook G5 discussion is the power consumption and heat output of the system controller. However, since Apple is working hand in hand with IBM on the G5, perpaps Apple has worked with IBM on doing the die shrink on the system controller too. What other issues might there be?
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

5800 Dhrys is correct, it's the other figure that's incorrect. Just dig up the ancient PDF from 2002, the 1.8 has 5220 Dhrys.

Glad someone did their homework. . . either way, a typo
  • Reply 37 of 79
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Laughingboy

The junction temp limits of the 970FX are 20 degrees higher than the current 970. This is a good amount.

I'm not sure what the G4 operating range was...

0°C up to 105°C.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    IBM is sandbagging
  • Reply 39 of 79
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    sandbagging??? I bet they really have 10Ghz ready to go that only uses 1W
  • Reply 40 of 79
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Still, it has nothin' on the 603e: typically 4W at 300MHz (back when 300MHz was King o' The Hill), max. 6W .